[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2012
Thanks to steev and everyone for the firmware. Having some problems, though. I followed the instructions carefully and did a successful flash, but I am getting random reboots every 5 to 10 minutes. Seems to happen most often when using "Play Store", but also when in the browser or watching Netflix.

I installed using LiveSuite 1.0.7 on Win7 64 on an Intel machine.
I have tried install both with and without the format offered by Livesuite and have tried both leaving the tablet connected during reboot and disconnected during reboot (after install).

I also booted into recovery to erase the /cache and /data directories.

If someone wants to look into this, I would appreciate the effort. Let me know if you want more data.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ChrisJackson

May 16, 2012
I rooted my device per the instructions in this thread. Everything works good, except, like the others in this thread, I experience frequent reboots at random times. It is not limited to one app either. It does it when surfing the web, while in apps and while idle.

With this many folks having the same problem, something has to be up. The tablet would be great if this could be fixed.

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
Hi,

First of all, thanks to all the contributors to this thread...I have flashed my ROM (7042-4) after reading through this thread.

I also have the reboot problem. I first thought it was an app compatibility issue with ICS, but after reading the latest posts, it appears to be a common issue. I've had it happen with newly installed apps, when changing settings or when adding icons to my home page (hope I said it right...I'm new to Android). I also had 1 hang when trying to open a newly installed app straight from the Google App Store...I ended up holding the power button to get it to shutdown.

Coby Kryos 7042-4

Flashed : Version 0.1 - cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip (from first post in this thread)
LiveSuite: 1.0.1 from the first post in this thread
PC : Windows XP 32 bit

When I flashed, I followed both Steev's and RedDeers instructions along with the LiveSuite instructions (pdf in the installation). I formatted and the only problem I had was that when the flash finished, my tablet shutdown, but didn't reboot (I waited 30 mins). However, once I powered it on, it then took the documented 10 mins to get to the desktop. Once I got the desktop, I unplugged the tablet from USB.

Last edited:

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
This is so interesting. I have not had one glitch before, nor since rooting. Someone should start a poll to see the percentage with reboot issues. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
I did mine with the last ROM (both screens?), W7 x64 and LiveSuite 1.0.7.

felixXJ

May 12, 2012
My 7042-4 seems to be fine with this so far but Angry Birds Space causes a lockup with it during play that requires a hard reset.

gmila84

May 17, 2012
Guys, I need a help!

First, this rom works on a 8042 model of tablet?

Second, and most important: this tablet only have 4gbs, but it is shared like if be a SD card! So I can't install anything greater than 1gb! The tablet won't recognize my microsd like the SDCard. For example, when I want to move some apps to SD Card, the tablet moves to the secondary partition, not to my microsd card!

There's a way to revert this? To make only one partition?

Thans in advance for any help!

Gman65

May 15, 2012
Guys, I need a help!

First, this rom works on a 8042 model of tablet?

Second, and most important: this tablet only have 4gbs, but it is shared like if be a SD card! So I can't install anything greater than 1gb! The tablet won't recognize my microsd like the SDCard. For example, when I want to move some apps to SD Card, the tablet moves to the secondary partition, not to my microsd card!

There's a way to revert this? To make only one partition?

Thans in advance for any help!

What app are you using to try and move apps? App2sd works great for me.

chargersfan

May 17, 2012
This is so interesting. I have not had one glitch before, nor since rooting. Someone should start a poll to see the percentage with reboot issues.

I'm brand new, just got my son this tablet today and was really impressed with it before. Coming from Android phone world, I figured you could improve upon stock. Found this place and want to thank Steev, RedDeer, et al... for their service in this endeavor. Just want to add to the list of rebooting issues. Mine doesn't randomly reboot, but randomly locks up. Cant push any buttons except power. Turning on again and it's fine.

Thanks again, and yes I will be going back to hit the little thank you buttons on posts I used to flash this thing.

Jeff

Coby Kryos 7042-4

Flashed : Version 0.1 - cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip (from first post in this thread)
LiveSuite: 1.0.7 from the first post in this thread
PC : Windows XP 64 bit

sokar311

May 16, 2012
This isn't much, just a slight modification of the stock firmware with root, Google Play, and a few other changes.

WARNING:
This firmware was tested on a Novo 7 Elf and it worked fine, but you are solely responsible for its use.
If it bricks your tablet you've been warned.

Features:
- Gapps + Google Play fix
- Rooted
- NetworkLocation service fixed (to pinpoint your location in apps like Google Maps)
- Deodexed for easier modding/theming
- Samsung Galaxy tab fingerprint for better app compatibility

Downloads:
Version 0.1:
cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip

Flashing instructions:
- Download LiveSuite, this is the flashing software for A10 devices
- Run LiveSuitePack.exe (a bunch of files will be extracted to the current folder, so best to create a new one)
- Now run livesuite.exe
- Choose "SelectImage"
- Choose the coby_kyros_4.0.3.img
- Now you need to put your device in upgrade mode, to do so:
1. power off the device
2. Press and hold any physical key except the power key on the device(ie, press and hold Vol+ key, still holding in 3 and 4)
3. Connect the tablet to your PC via USB cable
4. Repeatedly press the power button until a popup dialog shows on your computer screen
- Now follow the on-screen instructions

Windows 7 64-Bit users: it has been reported that you must use LiveSuite 1.0.7
LiveSuitPack_v1.07.rar

Thanks to all who posted firmware dumps and tested in this thread
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html

Discussion is also taking place in this thread:
[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros MID7042 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Hi steev, so i have an 8042 kyros (which i messed up /system files, won't boot), i want to help making a custom rom, someone managed to dump the 8042 files, and posted them in this thread (page 16), but i'm in a hurry, i wonder if you could give me a link to a page that explains how to do that you did, rooting, deodex, gapps, and generating the .img file.

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
Damn it...happened again...reboot!

It happened while I was taking a look at running services, due to miserable battery life.

Excuse this noob question...If I reflash the ROM, does it erase user data as well (i.e. my wife's Calendar events, downloads, etc...) and/or is there a way to back it up, so that I can restore it after the re-flash?

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Ok, I have had nearly week with daily use of this rom. So far here are the glitches I have noticed. Firstly, Google Search crashes everytime, it starts but once you type in text it crashes as if its looking for something but unable to comply. Secondly, network time and location fail to correctly get the time and timezone. I'm Central timezone US and its always an hour behind, even if i set the timezone manually it is an hour behind. Due to the partitioning of the internal SD and the way android sees the external SD it is not possible to use the external sd for some apps. Even though android says the app can be moved if you do move it, the app will disappear from Google Play and tapping the shortcut will give you an app not installed message. However, if u go to manage apps and tap move to tablet the app will reappear in Play and be usable again. Also any music I load onto the external SD regardless if the media scan feature is enabled or not does not properly show up in the music player or any other media player for that matter. The new tracks show up in the playlist "Recently Added" but not in the media Library, oddly enough though the albums that are in FLAC format do show up in the library. The software available in Play is nearly obsolete , so much to the point that I had to go out and download the apk for the latest Google+ because the version in Play is before hangouts (its like 8 months old). I assume that the reason some apps are having problems is because they are not made for Ice Cream Sandwich(I know there are a lot of apps that are not compatible with ICS but also know some apps have versions just for ICS), the device which this rom uses for a fingerprint is not ICS. However that device is slated to get an ICS update very soon so maybe here in the future the problems will solve themselves so to speak. As for random reboots I have had none, in fact this rom is more stable then the Mid7024 CFW rom I used on my prior device, which depending on what I was doing would reboot 5 times a day (for instance on the 7024 when playing angry birds space it would hard lock, on this rom Angry Birds just crashes, and that has only occured once). Still, its light years better then the state of this tablet out of the box, and Steev I hope you don't take my pointing out bugs as being ungrateful, we are all extremely grateful for your efforts on our behalf. I hope as a global community of budget tablet owners we can make this and other tablets of nearly identicle hardware perfect.

update: For some reason for the first time all my music has shown up in stock player. I,ve restarted the tablet umpteen times over a week and it never registered any songs...its very odd.but music is now there so yay. Also if the stock browser is to laggy for you I noticed that Opera is particularly fast and handles flash better.

Last edited:

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
OK, not sure what i did or installed (I'm an app hoarder) but the browser became extremely slow , to the point it would it would try and fc 5 times just loading google news. So I reflashed the rom to start fresh, and now browser is fine. As much as I like the games I'm going to try and not install every game in play cause it seems so many of them create backround processes that bog the os down.. The time issue is still present as well as the google quicksearchbox bug. I noticed that in the facebook app that all the post are an hour behind even if system is set manually correct(i.e. a post i make immediately says its an hour old).

Last edited:

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
@Ziggyzag...was your search (the magnifying glass in the upper left corner) working before the flash? It has never worked on mine. I type one character and get the "Unfortunately Google Search has Stopped" but the Google browser works fine. Wonder if this is an ICS issue. I doubt Coby would have include if it didn't function but hey what do I know. Mine never did.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
I can't remember, I can't remember if time worked either , flashed this after having it a day. I wouldn't put it past Coby of releasing broken builds, they just slap these things togather. My 7024 stock couldn't do half the things listed on the box without crashing. Its odd, I don't see google search in play so there is no way to update it. However, I do remember the corrective , predictive, and spelling features working on the stock rom and they do not now. Ok so is anyone experiencing the time offset problem and the lack of a spell check & prediction feature in keyboard as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.