[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinx97

May 16, 2012
So I went ahead and re-flashed the "coby_7042_4.0.3_dual_ts.img" image so I can return the tablet to the store.

This time around, the tablet restarted on it's own (as opposed to having to push the power button) when LiveSuite was done with the flashing...odd.

@djtab12: I don't think rooting will help, as I was having similar problems on a rooted image.

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
I have had a few problem Apps and Apps that are spotty. Not sure if it is the Coby or ICS. As ICS seems to have a different file handling scheme, than say 2.3 for which most Apps were written, my money is on ICS being the problem.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Yes but if look at things like Google+ the versions available in our play are not the current version. Also there are things like qik videoand speaktoit assistant that arn't present.

djatab12

May 24, 2012
So I guess send it back or wait for a solution with ice, be nice if we could downgrade this tab to 2.3 or 3.0, if that make sense

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Downgrade? Are you nutz. The advantages of ics far outweigh the flaws. Mid7042 has got lots of potential if a good build is made, built from stock or otherwise. The 360 orientation feature alone is nice and keyboard, mouse and external storage support & intergration is good . The ability to charge off usb allows me to use it in the car. The 1gb of sys ram and a scalable processor of up to like 1.5 ghz also shows potential. I would like to see a from scratch built rom, like how aosp or cyanogenmod does it, but I bet ripping the compatilbilty from one rom to a clean slate is hell. ICS is the way they should have done it from the get go, especially the ability to tell the os your done with a program. I'm just happy the open source effort is here, gives me that ubuntu forum feel like one way or the other problems will be solved.

djatab12

May 24, 2012
Oh well, for a 5 year old, Coby is ok, but I wouldn't recommend it for a grown up, Coby never did make good products anyway, just not going to spend alot for a child to have a tab. Coby have nothing to get that excited about. But thanks, I will wait patiently and see if any rom's or fixes come out, but by then, I will probably upgrade his tab, when he learn to not beat up stuff when playing his games. Thanks ziggyzag for the input.

Androgeneous

May 28, 2012
Do you have any info on the MID7033? I haven't managed to find the magic to get into fastboot with this device yet.
Is there a forum or thread on the mid7033?

Thanks!

mskeldon

May 25, 2012
increase sd cache from128kb to1024kb, move cache to sd and change to 768mb (can change this to extsd for larger mem, but needs manual editting, 768 can be increased if used), install chainfire3d (uprated mali400 driver) & unroll 32bit in opengl settings. go to system settings/devolper options enable 2d hardware, and tweak sysctl to recomended using system tweak, runns faster and stable bbenchmarked with quadrent prior results where 1067 after doing above, results where 1873. results speak f its self btw in developer options make sure you uncheck kill background apps as this is pain once tweaked as no longer helps it hinders instead, the guide was spot on to flash, and very easy to follow have fun rooted users.

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
increase sd cache from128kb to1024kb, move cache to sd and change to 768mb (can change this to extsd for larger mem, but needs manual editting, 768 can be increased if used), install chainfire3d (uprated mali400 driver) & unroll 32bit in opengl settings. go to system settings/devolper options enable 2d hardware, and tweak sysctl to recomended using system tweak, runns faster and stable bbenchmarked with quadrent prior results where 1067 after doing above, results where 1873. results speak f its self btw in developer options make sure you uncheck kill background apps as this is pain once tweaked as no longer helps it hinders instead, the guide was spot on to flash, and very easy to follow have fun rooted users.
@mskeldon - This sounds like some good advice. I'm having a hard time trying to do any of the things you recommended.
First, how do you increased the SD Cache from128kb to1024kb?
Move Cache To SD?

If anyone else can explain how to do the stuff @mskeldon recommends above, I would appreciate it if you will.
Thanks

mskeldon

May 25, 2012
download off market "system tuner" there is a setting for tweaking cache for sd, and for incresed memory there is a guide explaing how to set /mnt/sdcard to /mnt/extsd in one of the system files and you also have to partion the sd with an ext3 and fat32 both set active/ or was it primary, and the reseting problem looks like it is due to overheating of battery or gpu(unsure at mo because i don,t want to take it apart) for those who are suffering crashes feel the area close to reset switch as thats a scorcher point, btw disablie the 2d setting as this seems to cause said area to roast, leads me to think gpu if it has seperate one. mine runns sweet since hope that helps, mine doesnt, crashe at all alland posts have been done on tablet, flcommando runs amazing on it wicked game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.