[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 7042 - Rooted, Deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeusy

Jun 18, 2012
if people are still getting random reboots/ search isn't working, try using a different version of gapps. it seemed to work with me

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
well this is a rather difficult thing for some people. I myself am going to have to use my linux box (cause its currently the only thing I have running ADB) to push clockworkmod recovery so i can install things like gapps. Someone need to simplify it for the non techies.

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Used vampirefos. linux howto for recovery on steevs rooted rom, and installed the latest gapps, thank you both. Google suggestions in quckbox search work now, no crashes. Even with the updated play the amount apps that are current is still the same. Still no video hangouts google+ from apk provided from play but if I install the latest apk from the net I get video chat (but the feed I broadcast is choppy). I guess this is a fingerprint or device id lock issue, anybody testing out more compatible fingerprints. All I know is the latest google+ is much better then what play lets us download. The face detect security feature is now available in the settings too, which is nice to see since google bashed everyone in the head about the feature for the longest. Also anybody gotten their predictive spelling & correction working, I couldn't even get that to work on the rooted 2nd gens?

Last edited:

Rough_Ashlar

Jun 21, 2012
Just bought a Coby MID9742 for my wife that just came in the other day. This method works perfect, really appreciate it.

dju35

Jun 22, 2012
Hi, thanks a lot every body, i ve got google play now.

For those who have issue with google play, like
"Your Device is not Compatible"

1. Backup /system/etc/permissions (just take a copy with ES file explorer)
2. Extract this zip File xmlfiles.zip download - 2shared and copy its content in /system/etc/permissions
3. Make sure the file permission are rw-r-r (with ES file explorer, long tap then properties)
4. Go to settings->apps and tap Google Play
5. Click on Clear data
6. Reboot tablet
7. Open market and accept license

ziggyzag

May 18, 2012
Well Im on the aurora rom right now, but when i am using this rom no matter what fingerprint or even after flashing all these new permissions use I cannot see things like speaktoit assistant, qik video (any of the variants including sarl skype), and some apps like google+ are older. For some reason though on the aurora rom I do get a newer version of g+ that has video hangouts & such. Im having trouble understranding why the market on my htc hero cyanogenmod7 has more apps then this ics app. Is it because it sees it as a tablet or something?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I never used this rom so can't say what's in or or not in it, most likely the roms I put out, uses different build.prop's and different system files so the roms preform differently and are detected differently by google market.

snake218

Jun 23, 2012
installed this rom yesterday, and no frezee or problems, thanks for this rom! haven't tried gaaps yet...

rameshudupi

Jun 9, 2012
I have used the file given in the beginning of the post to root my coby 7042.
I used root explorer to push gapps (ie googleplaystore, googlemaps).
I have also pushed googleservicesframework.apk, required lib and permission files.
Both the applications are working fine. But 'my location' in google maps is not working. When I click on my location, 'Please enable a my location source in system settings' pops up.

I connect to the internet using the wifi hotspot of my nokia e63 which has a gprs connection.

Also I require the settings.db file of a coby 7042 with custom rom to compare the settings.

Could somebody please help me.

Thanks in advance.

rameshudupi

Jun 9, 2012
Sorry I posted in the wrong thread. I used file uploaded by vampirefo to root and not the custom rom posted in this thread. It does not matter in this forum because not all queries are answered in this forum. Thanks anyway.

kjt4jc

Jun 27, 2012
I am new to all this rooting stuff I'll admit. I flashed this ROM [cfw_coby_7042_4.0.3_0.1.zip] on my Coby MID7042-4 tablet. the first time it didn't get past the 'coby'/'android' booting screens. it would just freeze and I would have to do a hard power off then reboot. the second flash, I got to the 'upgrade complete' page after shutting it off and on a couple of times [pressed the Volume+ in there somewhere... don't know if that did anything. it wasn't plugged into the computer] but the touchscreen didn't work. I flashed it a third time and same as the first flash it never made it past the 'coby'/'android' screen. then the screen went crazy and was doing this stripe thing. anyway I flashed the original fimeware provided in the post titled "Requesting firmware dumps from Coby Generation 3 devices". That image worked.
NOTE: I never heard that 'Bump' sound. fyi...
I would still like to root my Coby tablet but I don't know which touchscreen I have and if any of the available images will work and I am not so savvy on how to root without 'LiveSuite'. I am hesitant to try this image again.
any thoughts?
Thanks to Steev and RedDeer and all the other people who have posted and given advice!

I used Windows 7 (64bit)
Coby MID7042-4 tablet was purchased from Fry's

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.