[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042 - Rooted, Google Apps, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
I got my Coby Kyros MID8042-4 into backup mode by holding down the back button and volume + key at the same time as I hold down the power key and never let up on it and it went into the backup mode, on mine I got the picture of the android bot laying on it's back with it's front open up and a red triangular sign with a exclamation point in the middle of the sign.

tarik0005092

Sep 23, 2012
I rooted my MID 8042-4 successfully yesterday with the rom cfw_8042_ics_root_gapps_v02 from this thread following the instructions without any hiccup at all.
the problem is, I cant install certain apps from google play - for example, google chrome, fruit ninja etc. A message 'Your device isn't compatible with this version' is shown instead of the 'install' button.

I tried changing the ro.sf.lcd_density to 160, changed ro.product.device = GT-i9020 in build.props to make google play think I have a different device but did not solve the problem. Is there any known solution?

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
The only reason I can think of that you are not able to install certain apps on the tablet now is that with the rom you had used it made the tablet into a device that can only be accepted by certain apps, this is the true with my smartphone, a LG optimus V and many apps are not compatible with it from Google play. I have not done anything to the phone, it is still factory default so this is the only thing I can think of that is not letting you install certain apps. You will need to find a rom to emulate your tablet that will accept the apps you are looking for.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You didn't make enough changes to build.prop. The ROM is also missing files related to the device tracking your location, which is why you can't install certain apps. The files needed are in my signature.

tarik0005092

Sep 23, 2012
You didn't make enough changes to build.prop. The ROM is also missing files related to the device tracking your location, which is why you can't install certain apps. The files needed are in my signature.

I tried this solution, and it completely messed up the tablet touch sensor. The screen was being displayed up-down and left-right flipped relative to the touch sensor. I had to guess the position where I should touch to for restoring ES explorer and while doing its file operations to restore the backed up etc/* and build.props.

Before restoring the backed up versions, I managed to open android market ( again by guessing its mirrored position - quite an experience!). I tried to search for chrome, but the letters getting typed in the search box were some other character set with a 'C' having a tail....

Last edited:

tarik0005092

Sep 23, 2012
I tried this solution, and it completely messed up the tablet touch sensor. The screen was being displayed up-down and left-right flipped relative to the touch sensor. I had to guess the position where I should touch to for restoring ES explorer and while doing its file operations to restore the backed up /etc/* and build.props.

Before restoring the backed up versions, I managed to open android market ( again by guessing its mirrored position - quite an experience!). I tried to search for chrome, but the letters getting typed in the search box were some other character set with a 'C' having a tail....

fixed the rotation by removing a line from the build.props, but now the wifi doesn't work...keeps trying to obtain IP address endlessly.
this solution is not for my 8042-4 ...

Last edited:

JUANGE

Sep 20, 2012
Hi, I fashed this rom, all works except that I can't write into the sd card, I can copy files from my computer via usb. But if I like to delete from tablet, no way.

iAmRyC

Sep 27, 2012
Everything seems to work great except for the webcam. I can't get it to work for any application besides the camera app that comes with this ROM. Anyone else experience this too or know of a work around for this?

Garfish307

Oct 24, 2012
I used this on my MID 8042-4 and it doesn't work. It updates properly from Livesuit but gets stuck in the Android loading screen. Anyone ever had this problem or is there any advice? I have tried loading some 7042 ROMs - they load up but the screen is skewed. Please help.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You should have looked at the sticky on the forum. We have far better alternatives to using Livesuite to get Google apps on the tablet. Now that you ran Livesuite, you're basically stuck with it. Because of some Livesuite users managing to brick their tablets after trying to install ClockworkMod recovery using my root utility, I don't recommend my tool for Livesuite users and do not provide help in such instances.

As for getting back to stock or installing this ROM, keep playing with Livesuite. I'd ask if you took a system dump before trying to change things, but know you most likely didn't.

Garfish307

Oct 24, 2012
Your assumption is correct. I didn't do a system dump first. Sorry I don't even know what a sticky is. I tried to follow Vampirefo's posts on updating in Linux but I was such a noob that I couldn't get the ABD to function properly. Since I was given the tablet as a safety award from work, I figured what the heck, I'll try Livesuit. ADVICE TO NOOBS - just spend the time, learn Linux, and do it that way. You guys have some great posts on here and I appreciate it but, there is quite a learning curve so cut me some slack. I'll keep playing around with it.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
A sticky is a post that always appears on top of the list of posts, regardless of what page you're on. Since it is on top, it's probably the easiest post to find.

Windows users have ADB drivers in the sticky I placed in Generation 3 Technical. The root tool in the Development Index sticky is for Windows users. The entire idea behind the two stickies is to reduce that learning curve so that you guys can get Google Play on your tablets and make them more useful. However, while my root utility makes things easier, there is no substitute for learning everything you possibly can about the device you have.

I currently do not use Linux in my day to day computing, although I am familiar with it. Since I see more Windows users than Linux users on these forums, and since I use Windows, it was easier for me to offer a Windows root tool. The Linux aficionados are generally more familiar with command lines these days than the average Windows user, which is why I don't have a utility for them. For them, Vampirefo's posts work perfectly well.

Vampirefo and I have been attempting to steer users away from Livesuite for months now and towards installing CWM recovery. Livesuite is notoriously difficult to recover from if it botches an installation, mainly because it sometimes erases the existing ROM without writing a new one, or in your case, improperly installing certain files and causing the tablet to bootloop. Livesuite is the equivalent of, to paraphrase Vampirefo, cutting off one's leg and going to the hospital to get a lollipop.

One last thing, regarding your noob advice: I like the sentiment since the Android world can always use more talented developers. It also doesn't hurt that Linux can be freely obtained. However, your advice simply doesn't hold for everyone since inevitably someone will come along who isn't interested in learning Linux yet wants to be able to root their device.

Good luck. Hopefully you can get your tablet working.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
Following vampirefo advice I tried using Z4 and Super One Click to try and root my Coby Kyros MID8042-4 tablet and neither one worked. With the Z4 program I only tried the temp root and not the permanent root and it did not take. I had already downloaded the google play store app and it will start up and then after about a second it will then shut down, I get no error messages, it just shuts down on it's on. This happened even with the Z4 running. I then tried the Super One Click program and it started up ok and detected and identified my tablet and ran a few more steps and then it just stopped doing anything else. I had tried to post a image of the programs steps but it does not work like that here and I don't have any place to store the file online either I also have the text file from the program as well. When it got to step 4 I got the error message "Failed to set prot. mark". I don't know what that means so if anyone has any advice or a better program than Z4 and Super One Click then please let me know. I am afraid to use Livesuite since Vampiero is against it and he seem very knowledgeable about this stuff when it comes to trying to root a device.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Following vampirefo advice I tried using Z4 and Super One Click to try and root my Coby Kyros MID8042-4 tablet and neither one worked. With the Z4 program I only tried the temp root and not the permanent root and it did not take. I had already downloaded the google play store app and it will start up and then after about a second it will then shut down, I get no error messages, it just shuts down on it's on. This happened even with the Z4 running. I then tried the Super One Click program and it started up ok and detected and identified my tablet and ran a few more steps and then it just stopped doing anything else. I had tried to post a image of the programs steps but it does not work like that here and I don't have any place to store the file online either I also have the text file from the program as well. When it got to step 4 I got the error message "Failed to set prot. mark". I don't know what that means so if anyone has any advice or a better program than Z4 and Super One Click then please let me know. I am afraid to use Livesuite since Vampiero is against it and he seem very knowledgeable about this stuff when it comes to trying to root a device.

When did I advise you to use Z4 and Super One Click to try and root your Coby Kyros MID8042-4 tablet? We have our own root methods for 8042.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ot-recovery-update-all-without-livesuite.html

I would like to see where I advised anyone to root Coby 3 gen tablets other then the methods I provide, I am sure you are confusing me with someone else, I wouldn't go through all the trouble of making a recovery, and putting together a root package just to tell people to use another root method.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.