[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 8042 - Rooted, Google Apps, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
Yes you are right, I am sorry to have you confused with Traveller1701. I am still having a hard time to find a program to use to root my 8042-4. I do have the livesuite program and will try it now if I can find the proper way to hook up the tablet to the computer and what steps since I have seen a couple different ones.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Umm...I never told you or anyone to use Z4 or superoneclick. What I do provide is a utility for Windows that automates the root process that has been established for Generation 3 tablets, based upon previously existing batch files and commands provided to Linux users.

What I do tell people is not to use livesuite.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
I had thought that since you did not like live suite that the other programs would be to your liking, I do not know which program that you have made available to use and I don't know how to find out, could you let me know what the program is and where I can get it?

Thanks very much.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
PM sent.

Both Livesuite and the one-click root methods have two common issues: they can damage the device and they are a brain-dead method of getting the tablet rooted. Livesuite can brick Coby tablets, and one-click root methods can brick the Dell Streak if the one-click root method issues a fastboot -erase command. My sticky declaring Livesuite as obsolete is an attempt to get people into the habit of using the tools Google already provides to root the tablet and change its recovery: ADB.

You don't need anything more to root this tablet than ADB, its drivers, and the files to run the mempodroid exploit and install Superuser. The drivers are found in the Generation 3 Technical sticky pinned at the top of that forum. My rooting utility, which includes ADB and the files to successfully root the tablet, can be found in the Development Index sticky on this forum. Once you're rooted using that, you can do two additional tasks: make a system dump of your existing firmware and then download a copy of ClockworkMod and install it.

Once ClockworkMod is installed, from there you can install the Google apps and my fixes and call it a day. I understand that it's not nearly as easy a process as plugging the tablet in and running Livesuite. But I don't promote brain-dead software that causes more problems than it's worth.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
I tried the ADB that you had posted but it did not recognize my tablet, was that package you built for the nook tablet only? When it started up it said to unplug the nook tablet and then plug it back in again. Also when I hook up the tablet to the computer I don't get no recognition from the computer for the tablet. It is a MID8042-4 tablet. Any ideas on this and what I am doing wrong?

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
The programs superuser and mempodroid was not in the files that I got from the sticky but to tell the truth I really don't know what a sticky is and I know what he said it was but it is not showing up on my browser. Or I am not at the right post, but I did find a post with files he had posted to download. I do not know why the computer does not detect the tablet.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Stickies are the posts at the very top of the forum. They stay there regardless of the page you are on. In the case of this forum they are plainly marked with "READ FIRST" in their titles. The sticky in Generation 3 Technical isn't marked in the same way, but it's always at the top of the forum.

Stickies can be found without using the site's search engine.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
I went to the start of this thread and did not see anything marked sticky. I did go to the start of the thread started by the administrator of this site and he had suggested something called Universal Androot but it did not work with my Coby Kyros MID8042-4 either, it seems that the only alternative I have left is the live suite, I have not tried it yet but none of the other programs you had suggested will work on this tablet or recognize it.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
Yes you are right, I was finally able to see the sticky and the files I got did not work with my coby kryos mid8042-4. I also have tried the universal androot which did not work despite the person who created it saying he wrote it special for that tablet I believe. I would like to get the adb to work but it does not recognize my tablet when it is plugged in.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Yes you are right, I was finally able to see the sticky and the files I got did not work with my coby kryos mid8042-4. I also have tried the universal androot which did not work despite the person who created it saying he wrote it special for that tablet I believe. I would like to get the adb to work but it does not recognize my tablet when it is plugged in.
If it's not recognizing your tablet then you didn't install the drivers for ADB. Go to Generation 3 technical and download the drivers from the sticky I placed in that forum titled "Basic Driver Installation for Windows PCs". Install them using the directions given, then try the tool.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
I tried to install but I got the error message saying that the inf file I chose does not recognize this method. I had right clicked on the .inf file and chose to install which has been the way I have installed drivers for years. I don't know of any other way to install drivers.

Virgil2U

Sep 1, 2012
As a follow up to my recent posting. I did find the generation 3 technical sticky and read the information on how to install the drivers and this time when I had plugged in my tablet I used a usb cable straight to the usb port on the desktop and not through a usb hub which now it recognizes the tablet when it is plugged in. I then again tried to update the drivers but I get a message telling me that the drivers I am trying to update the tablet with does not work in the x64 system. In device manager the tablet is recognized as a phone and Android ADB interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.