[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
Thanks for all the work put into this rom.
I'm wondering how easy it would be to change the script which tells the market we now have a galaxy tab?
I'm asking as some games may install or work better if other options are available..
Also, from Google I see that there are a number of custom roms out there for allwinner a10 devices.
With the specs being so similar could an optimised rom be flashed to the 9742?
Thanks in advance...

May 20, 2012
ok I have downloaded the livesuit pack for the 3rd time, let see if it works this time and i downloaded the CFW 7042 even though I have a 9742. Should i try to intsall the 7042 even though i have a 9742??

Shinisuryu

May 17, 2012
ok I have downloaded the livesuit pack for the 3rd time, let see if it works this time and i downloaded the CFW 7042 even though I have a 9742. Should i try to intsall the 7042 even though i have a 9742??

No, considering there's already a rom for the 9742, might mess something up if you use the wrong one.

cyrius

Apr 25, 2012
flashed the custom 9742 ROM : works fine. Except sometimes wifi doesn't work (after sleep or restart) : no mac address and no IP address. Need to reboot.
If you don't manage to enter into flashing mode with Livesuit, once drivers installed, tablet plugged and LiveSuit opened, press the hw reset button. Livesuit waits for some event and pressing the hw reset button unfreezes Livesuit.

skristies

May 14, 2012
To be honest, I just want a rooted stock rom, hehehe... but after change the buil.prop, it almost perfect. The only problem is with video playback. I will try to put a 4.0.1 version of the gallery on it to test it.

Regards!

NoViTeK001

May 19, 2012
Here is the rewstore image for MID9742. Follow same procedure witrh live suite.

From @Steev's post on page one

Firmware restore images for MID9742
coby_9742_4.0.3.zip (Thanks to RedDeer for providing the dump), Confirmed working by swalker5906
md5: 71a31c954e164a0bb7f19bbd1a143d7a

--------------------

Funny, how people are quick to complain BUUUUTTT always fail to provide complete information.
I've had the MID9742 custom ROM installed for over a week now with ZERO crashes.
Perhaps you should tell everyone which Apps you installed? Which apps were working just before the crash? What you changed? tried to change, Downloaded ETC.
Then others would know how to avoid the CRASHES you likely brought on yourself.

Thank you, Well I'm not sure if the MID9742 will work with mine. Mine is a MID7042.
Before I did the custom rom is still crashed even before I installed Apps. I would factor reset it multiple times with and without the Custom Rom :(

Last edited by a moderator:

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
You should flash with the 7042 ROM. Go to the [ROM] 7042 thread. Make sure you use the one that supports both screen types and use the LiveSuit 1.0.7 if you have W7 64bit.

l8asusul

Apr 29, 2012
Same here. Until I finally realized OFF meant OFF I thought I was going to brick the thing with all the failed attempts I did from Standby.:eek:

tech3000

May 27, 2012
Excelent rom! I have another tablet after upgrade! My 9742 now is more fast, the screen response is much better and the fluidity its like a top and more expensive tablets. With root, chainfire and market, the 9742 is perfect for me! Thanks for the excelent tutorial and job!

formal

May 27, 2012
Good morning, I have a tablet Mid9742, I installed ROM for touch screen and stays inverted, when I press left right mark, when I press it arrives IDCE me down, I can fix it How? Thank you.

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Good morning, I have a tablet Mid9742, I installed ROM for touch screen and stays inverted, when I press left right mark, when I press it arrives IDCE me down, I can fix it How? Thank you.
Sorry, dont know how to help you.

You could try reflashing with LiveSuit

Or, you could Go Back To Stock (With Root) posted by @steev
Firmware restore images for Coby Kyros 9742 coby_9742_4.0.3.zip Confirmed working by swalker5906

-----------------

From Here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-3-devices.html

Last edited by a moderator:

sjk20

May 31, 2012
RESOLVED with a Workaround (load Google Maps apk without going to GooglePlay store) see below.
---------------------
As noted in posts #9 and #10 by mavemrc and korn, I get "incompatible device" at the Google Play store trying to load Google Maps.

Let me say that other than that, the modified ROM is excellent and I really appreciate the effort and the extensive directions on how to use LiveSuit to install it. I have researched elsewhere and have successfully modified build.prop to look like a Nexus S, with a fingerprint that is supposed to make all apps compatible. BUT, the market still shows me as having the GT-P6210. So...

1) why is the GT-P6210 incompatible with Google Maps (if it really is)?
2) how can we modify build.prop to something that is compatible with Google Maps
3) how do I get GooglePlay to recognize my tablet as a different device after updating build.prop

Did I mention that I would like to get Google Maps working?

Thanks again for the custom ROM. It is very nice to have Voice Search working, etc, etc.

Update: Used a factory reset, then edited build.prop, then opened GooglePlay app. This allowed GooglePlay to "recognize" device as a Nexus S. BUT, still says that device is incompatible with Google Maps.

Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------
WORKAROUND implemented:

Update: On my PC, I downloaded Maps-607001302.apk (Google Maps 6.7.0) from the following location, and then copied it to the microSD card in the tablet (with tablet powered off, pulled microSD card and inserted it with adapter into SD slot of PC, then eject and reinsert into tablet, power on tablet):

http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/google-maps

Using ES FileExplore (Settings...Up to root enabled) navigated to /mnt/extsd and clicked on the apk. It installed without complaint and seems to be running fine, showing the device as a Nexus S.

I still have no idea why GooglePlay store complains that the device is incompatible. I certainly would prefer getting apps from a trusted source than from some unknown web site.

Last edited:

jvergara65

May 31, 2012
Good evening, I want to thank in advance all that worked hard in making the custom ROM. I installed the Custom Rom in a MID9742 successfully last week following the well detailed steps and now I have a good working tablet.

The problem that I face, is that I bought a second table and I followed the same process but now the table is in a flux state. After the custom rom was downloaded to the device I waited for the upgrade process like 10 min and then when I boot it up, the device stayed locked in the Android logo, and when I rebooted again it stayed power -cycling in the COBY logo in the screen.

Do you know how I can fix this or what caused this?

thanks

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
Good evening, I want to thank in advance all that worked hard in making the custom ROM. I installed the Custom Rom in a MID9742 successfully last week following the well detailed steps and now I have a good working tablet.
The problem that I face, is that I bought a second table and I followed the same process but now the table is in a flux state. After the custom rom was downloaded to the device I waited for the upgrade process like 10 min and then when I boot it up, the device stayed locked in the Android logo, and when I rebooted again it stayed power -cycling in the COBY logo in the screen.
Do you know how I can fix this or what caused this? thanks
IF YOU WANT HELP. GIVE DETAILS ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU DID TO GET YOURSELF INTO THE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!
(also your computer, operating system, 32-64bit, intel amd, etc)

I hate it when I have to waste my time guessing things you should have provided up front with your question or help request..

I assumme that you used LiveSuite to flash the mid9742 custom rom to your tablet

This is my best guess advice:
Keep you MID9742 plugged in the Power source. (let charge 30 a minimun 30 minutes.) Leave it pluged in.
Plug USB cord ino your PC --- (do NOT plug into Mid9742)
StartUp Live Suit
Find/Select the SAME Custom ROM that Got you into the problem.

Plug USB cord int PC ---
Now, Plug the USB into you Mid9742 and wait.
Leave it there for Up to ONE HOUR if it takes that long. [LiveSuit ON - USB connected to PC and Mid9742 - Power cord connected]
---

If nothing happens, after one Hour leave plugging in and firmly hold power Button HARD for 10 Seconds the let go
Wait 15 minutes
---

If nothing happens, after 15 minutes ---
Leave plugged In --- Take a PaperClip -- Stick Into RESET Hole (just below MicroUSB plug) Two (2) times quickly
Wait 15 minutes.

If nothing happens, after 15 minutes ---
PRESS/HOLD Volume+ button -- then PRESS/HOLD Power Button ( Holding Both buttons together - Must hold Vol+ Button first)
Hold for one (1) minute
after one minite, Let go. Wait 30 minutes.
---

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.