[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Thanks for this.

Just a couple of points to note, there were a few minor differences for me from the official guide.

1. Even though I ran the driver 'installer' windows (xp) came up as not having the appropriate drivers (for livesuite) pointing windows at the drivers folder allowed windows to find and install the drivers.

2. My tablet did not automatically reboot, although so far I haven't found any problems (fingers crossed) from manually booting the tablet with the power button.

jvergara65

May 31, 2012
thanks for you reply.
by the way, I used LiveSuite v1.07 in Windows 7-32bit to send the custom Rom to the 9742 in an Intel Box.
As I said before, I followed the process for the first tablet and everything was successful, that is why I went and I bought the second tablet.

Now, I tried all your steps in your reply:
- I sent the custom ROM again using LiveSuite v1.07 to the tablet, waited for more than one hour and the same problem. The tablet is rebooting but stays locked in the Android screen.
- Then and hold power button HARD for 10 secs, waited 15 minutes and nothing happened - the same problem.
- then I used the paperClip into the Reset hole and the tablet booted up but remained in the same state (Android screen)

In conclusion, I tend to agree with "vampirefo" in that maybe this new tablet has a different version (diff screen driver possible) than the first one I got (like the 7042's). The problem is that I did not create an stock firmware dump for this tablet before I upgraded it.

So, my question is ... How can I get this tablet at least to the original stock firmware? I am a Linux guy so if there are linux command line steps I have to follow to get this tablet out of "brick" mode, please post the steps and I will try it.

Any other suggestions? can and use the other custom ROM's from the 7042's? or are they so different from the 9742?

thanks again for your help to all of you
-
IF YOU WANT HELP. GIVE DETAILS ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU DID TO GET YOURSELF INTO THE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!!!
(also your computer, operating system, 32-64bit, intel amd, etc)

I hate it when I have to waste my time guessing things you should have provided up front with your question or help request..

I assumme that you used LiveSuite to flash the mid9742 custom rom to your tablet

This is my best guess advice:
Keep you MID9742 plugged in the Power source. (let charge 30 a minimun 30 minutes.) Leave it pluged in.
Plug USB cord ino your PC --- (do NOT plug into Mid9742)
StartUp Live Suit
Find/Select the SAME Custom ROM that Got you into the problem.

Plug USB cord int PC ---
Now, Plug the USB into you Mid9742 and wait.
Leave it there for Up to ONE HOUR if it takes that long. [LiveSuit ON - USB connected to PC and Mid9742 - Power cord connected]
---

If nothing happens, after one Hour leave plugging in and firmly hold power Button HARD for 10 Seconds the let go
Wait 15 minutes
---

If nothing happens, after 15 minutes ---
Leave plugged In --- Take a PaperClip -- Stick Into RESET Hole (just below MicroUSB plug) Two (2) times quickly
Wait 15 minutes.

If nothing happens, after 15 minutes ---
PRESS/HOLD Volume+ button -- then PRESS/HOLD Power Button ( Holding Both buttons together - Must hold Vol+ Button first)
Hold for one (1) minute
after one minite, Let go. Wait 30 minutes.
---

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I am on vacation right now so no computer only tablet, I am linux guy, I uploaded a cwm recovery and custom firmware to be flashed by cwm. This is for one version of 7042. I will make another one for second version when I get home. You guys can do the samething, you dont need livsuite at all.
Just get several system dumps and boot.img and recovery.img. repack the recovery.img with cwm, flash it build update.zip from system dump and flash them via cwm.

Last edited:

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
thanks for you reply. Now, I tried all your steps in your reply:-

I JUST HELPED SOMEONE WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. WE FIXED THE PROBLEM
( It will work if you just believe "You Gotta Believe Bolie, You Gotta Believe! )

I know that you have probably don this already, but give it another try.

Follow these instructions:

Restart your computer PC
Go to the LiveSuit Folder. Start LiveSuit (click on LiveSuit.exe file) A Window Pops-up ---
NOTE: If the little PopUp window disappears - click on the spinning Icon In System Tray Below (PopUp window re-appears)
--- A smaller window appers that reads "Welcome To Live Suit". Click "NO" to close the window. ---

Click the Square cube [ ] icon on the left side of LiveSuit window - Select the location of the New ROM ( .img) you downloaded earlier.

UPDATE:
Power Down Your Tablet TURN OFF (Your tablet must be off during theLiveSuit process. )

During the LiveSuit process, you are listening to make sure your computer PC has Detected your tablet (a Little BUMP sound)
So turn the volume UP on your computer PC to make sure you hear the little BUMP sound.

NOTE:--- If tablet starts during the next step it won't work. You messed up. Just LongHold Power Button to Shut Down (Power Off) you Tablet

With POWER OFF on Tablet: PressHold Volume+ Button ----- Plug USB into Tablet (Still holding Volume + button--- Tap Power Button a few times 5 to 10
(EXAMPLE: If you are Right handed: Hold Volume+ with Right Hand --- Plug USB in with Left Hand --- Tap the Power button 5 -10 times with Left Hand)

When you hear a little Bump sound on you PC --- Release both Buttons Immediately!

((((( If you see the word COBY on the Screen, ( or if you see the Charging Battery) You Failed. LONG/HOLD POwer to TURN Off and Repeat ( Quick Tap Vol+, USB, Tap Pwr 5-10 times)))) ... Repeat trying until you hear the Little BUMP sound on PC

------ ALSO TRY SWITHING TO OTHER USB PORT ON YOUR PC.

The little BUMP sound means SUCCESS!!! --- The Flashing process will start.

A PopUp Window Appears -- You have a choice to Format or Not Format. Try Format 1st. If it doesnt work, Try no-Format next time.

Choose Format "YES" Are you sure: "YES" Format

The flashing process starts. ... LiveSuit Screen shows percentage completed.

Takes about 2 to 3 minutes to complete ... Leave the USB plugged in

Your Tablet will Restart (Leave USB plugged In. ---- Takes 5 -10 mi
nutes to complete --- appears on your Tablet --- (FINISHED !!!)

------------ If the LiveSuit FORMAT methode does not work --- Go back and Try NO-Format.

------------- If Custom ROM does not work, Download the Stock ROM and Repeat. --- It Will Work If You BELIEVE!!!!!

Last edited:

siryu24

Jun 4, 2012
Hi guys, I installed the steev rom on my 9742 and after rebooting, the screen is inverted, the touch screen corresponds to the mirror (up-down/left-side) of the "visual" screen. Re-installing the stock rom provided by steev doesn't fix the problem Has anyone reported the same problem? Thanks in advance PD: after some reading I've seen that it's possible that Coby uses 2 touch screen drivers......
Same problem has a solution? thanks.

RedDeer

May 3, 2012
The weak spot, Achilles Heal, of the MID9742 is the Volume Button. It will fail soon
I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to have to return my MID9742
I purchased my MID9742 and was really happy with my purchase. I got a full sized Android 4.0 tablet for half the price of the Samsung Tab2 10.
I really enjoyed working with @Steev and the many other helpful posters who helped make the custom ROMS for 7042 then 9742 a success.
I also enjoyed helping others in need of help to resolve their problems.​

I recommend that you consider doing the same before its too late.

See My full post HERE: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=212384

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Good morning, I have a tablet Mid9742, I installed ROM for touch screen and stays inverted, when I press left right mark, when I press it arrives IDCE me down, I can fix it How? Thank you.
My friend, have u solved it? Same problem here...

siryu24

Jun 4, 2012
I have tried every rom models, but works with any screen stays black, only starts with the roms for 9742 but gives the inverted screen problem, I tried several app to recalibrate the screen but nothing works.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Guys, how can I make a dump of an original firmware? Which program should I use?

My friend have an out of box MID9742 with the new touchscreen. I want to make a Dump from his firmware. Can you guys give me the way? Maybe I can help you all.

Last edited:

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Guys, does the Android has an history of modifications such as windows? Can we restore it?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Guys, does the Android has an history of modifications such as windows? Can we restore it?

Android is basically Linux, the backing up and restoring would also be similar to Linux, Linux has two boot modes regular and recovery. So does android, now if you don't make a backup guess what? there is nothing to restore.

In android as well as Linux one needs to make a good back up, you can make as many as you like as often as you like, but you need at least one.

In android we do this several ways, one you can root your device, then make a manual backup, aka dump, a dump is simply a backup of certain partitions of your tablet, what you backup you can restore.

The second way is done via custom recovery aka cwm, one installs cwm boots into cwm point and click and cwm will make your backup for you, and will restore your backup any time you want.

I cover both ways in my thread, by using cwm rather livesuite you can backup and restore your tablet without a pc, or livesuite. you can also flash other roms and such, plus you can if you want to return to 100% stock Coby. you can't do that with livesuite, why? cause the livesuite image you are using isn't from coby nor is it 100% coby it's a crossbreed, that's explained in first post.

So for the people who used livesuite, your only way back to 100% coby would be to get coby to release their image. anyway you guys that haven't used livesuite might want to consider using cwm method, but that's your choice.

Last edited:

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Good news boys, I did the dump of my friend's 9742 tablet. We bought our tablets in the same day so I hope those are the same. I think that now we can fix the upside down problem. I'll test it at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.