[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

formal

May 27, 2012
If it works send the backup He explains the process and thank you very much. I hope, my new tablet like a brick.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Guys, what's the best way to use the recovery files? (boot.img, recovery.img and bootloader.img)? How can I load them into my Tablet system? Just put in the /system directory in a SDCard?
Is it possible with FWDN?

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
If it works send the backup He explains the process and thank you very much. I hope, my new tablet like a brick.
Do you know how to make a rom from the dump files? I'm forever looking about it on the web but I cant find a thing...

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
I did what I could guys but I'm really noob, sorry.
This is the link for the stock image of the other MID9742-8 mid9742-8.zip. I hope to count on one of you guys to help us. I can't stand this upside down screen anymore :(

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
As I told you in pm, I am on vacation and have no pc here, when I get home I will be work on roms for 7042 then 8042, 9742 is later down the line for me, if no one else helps then if you guys follow along in the 7042 and 8042 threads you should be able to fix your 9742.

right now no one is working on the 9742 problems, so you guys can get things started, which will save a lot of time for whom ever works on it, the first step is to get md5sum of recovery.img, boot.img, bootloader.img
post them and also get the same from RedDeer's
dump post them as well if any are the same point that out.

Last edited:

siryu24

Jun 4, 2012
I advise anyone with coby tablet kyros MID9742-8 Perform the process or have a pretty paperweight. I'll see if I have luck and I can give to the warranty.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks vampirefo. Hope you have a good vacation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New 9742-8 (Which I have posted)

boot.img a6d277ab2d0536640364eb576b952ceb

bootloader.img a71524002ec7c53f4375d78dbdc30982

recovery.img 4416795831d9108534a1a2b05dafec73

-------------------------------------

Below are for Reddeer's (Old 9742):

boot.img 909e187aa801f607484a3975e5ffcebe

bootloader.img e9818f61aa7d6c8dfbee393e6c98b291

recovery.img 2734f2c0386364a4071673c91896cc62
-------------------------------

Even the file sizes are the same.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This is good we can see that the tablets software are completely different,we are going to have to flash the MBR aka bootloader.img via adb, make sure you guys have adb setup and working. I will try if I have the time to write up what to do this weekend when I get home, please be careful and read fully before you do anything.

If someone else whats to make a livesuite image with this new dump they can, as for myself I don't want anything to do with livesuite.

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
This is good we can see that the tablets software are completely different,we are going to have to flash the MBR aka bootloader.img via adb, make sure you guys have adb setup and working. I will try if I have the time to write up what to do this weekend when I get home, please be careful and read fully before you do anything.

If someone else whats to make a livesuite image with this new dump they can, as for myself I don't want anything to do with livesuite.

Thanks vampire, I'm counting on you. I think that most of us are not worried about the livesuite rom, we just want to fix our tablets.

figueiredra

Jun 8, 2012
Since the specs are mostly the same between

Mpman 959 ICS and Coby MID 9742 ICS

I flashed my MP959 with Live suit ( it ended sucssesfuly)

But unfortunately allthough the system boots, now with the coby logo, after the android word appears while starting the system , it ends with a start button and language choosing that I can´t press because the screen doesn´t respond anymore.
Since I can still access the recovery mode, is there someway I can fix this?

Thanks

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Since the specs are mostly the same between

Mpman 959 ICS and Coby MID 9742 ICS

I flashed my MP959 with Live suit ( it ended sucssesfuly)

But unfortunately allthough the system boots, now with the coby logo, after the android word appears while starting the system , it ends with a start button and language choosing that I can´t press because the screen doesn´t respond anymore.
Since I can still access the recovery mode, is there someway I can fix this?

Thanks
Same problem. Probably the hardware of your tablet is the same of mine.
As vampire said before you will have to flash the bootloader again. I don't know how to create a script for that but Vampire will help us as soon as he works on the others solutions. If you know how to create a script for that just download my dump and create it. Unfortunately I'm newbie with that.
GUYS, BEFORE UPDATING THE MID9742-8 with the ROM pay attention to that. The new MID9742 and simillars come with a different hardware for the Touchscreen.

Last edited:

Shini

Jun 5, 2012
Guys, I'm reading a lot about android these days.

What I got:
/boot
boot system, this comes before the OS and is responsable for loading the OS (Similar to MBR).

/system
Contains the OS, all it's structure are there.

/recovery
A recovery solution. From the recovery you can restore the system.

Based on what I know about OS, the only thing we have to do to solve a problem based on a wrong driver is to install the correct one. Since we can't do it on an android (change a touchscreen driver) the best solution is to upload all the old system backup to the android so it will load an OS with the right drivers. So there's nothing to do with boot or recovery.
Is that it?

Last edited:

bigdaddyvu

Jun 14, 2012
well i have had my 9742 rooted for a week and did notice some lag in apps and web even if i used the task manager. it was too painfully slow and since it was rooted tried the cpu accellerator didn't work right chipsets didn't match the os so it would freeze. also performed a bench test with custom rom got a 2724 and restored to stock image got a 2853 (performed with antutu). Personal opinion this tablet is slow laggy between tasks and viewing the web. this is my 4th android device and really i think my motorola droid 1 is a bit faster beings its half the speed and my unrooted bionic is 3 times faster. there has to be a better way to get google play on it without modifing another devices os to get it. i decided really to return the kyros back to shopko and get my 200 bucks back. father day weekend and alot of stores are having a blowout sales on devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.