[ROM] CyanogenMod - Android 2.2

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Bill,
I'm from Georgia so I understand most of what y'all say but not even wikipedia can help me with kang - what's that?

My wife explained kang to me - so for others not in the IT department:
Urban Dictionary: kang
I see you found the meaning. In the early days of rom development for the android G1 there was a dev called kingklick. he liked to take roms, rename them and take donations for his efforts. Kang was a mistype for king by one of the real devs that stuck instantly.
It is all gpl stuff so you can take what you want and use it how you wish. Just give a mention where it came from. Them's the rules.
I took tipsters rom and moved a bunch of stuff around to what works better for me, borrowing from other roms until I liked it. i may post the result here and that would be fine as long as it is posted as his work, not mine.

Bill

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
so KANG it was!
I realized in Ubuntu I have Eclipse which has Android Virtual Devices.
So I just
created a sdcard.iso
created a new AVD with 2.2 - and started it
installed AndExplorer
used AndExplorer to copy /system/app/Launcher2.apk to the sdcard.iso
closed it down
mounted the sdcard.iso
copied from the sdcard.iso to the PC
adb push from the PC to the tablet
sync, reboot
deleted ADWLauncher.apk (have a backup already)
reboot
Now I have launcher without ADW.
I'll post details later - gotta run for today.
bug - home screen locked on portrait - does not rotate.. AndExplorer does rotate ?! huh?

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
so KANG it was!
I realized in Ubuntu I have Eclipse which has Android Virtual Devices.
So I just
created a sdcard.iso
created a new AVD with 2.2 - and started it
installed AndExplorer
used AndExplorer to copy /system/app/Launcher2.apk to the sdcard.iso
closed it down
mounted the sdcard.iso
copied from the sdcard.iso to the PC
adb push from the PC to the tablet
sync, reboot
deleted ADWLauncher.apk (have a backup already)
reboot
Now I have launcher without ADW.
I'll post details later - gotta run for today.
bug - home screen locked on portrait - does not rotate.. AndExplorer does rotate ?! huh?
There should be a setting for that somewhere. display or something. It could be a stuck setting from the last launcher. Anyway, that is great progress.

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

I see the M701 got a port of 2.3 the other day. If Telechips would release what is needed there are several just waiting to drop the roms...

Cheers

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
vanjhelion,
Checking on RAM:
I cannot give a simple answer. It depends of your apps.
From the Settings menu -> SD card & phone storage settings:
Current installation: Total space 261MB, available space 97.64MB
With an older backup of Cyanogen: Total space 261MB, available space 103MB
Both have my set of 42 apps installed (AngryBirds etc.)

How do you measure RAM? Terminal $ free - didn't seem to give meaningful info.
I know tipstir mentions available RAM often but I don't know how he reads the number.

vanjhelion

Mar 21, 2011
vanjhelion,
Checking on RAM:
I cannot give a simple answer. It depends of your apps.
From the Settings menu -> SD card & phone storage settings:
Current installation: Total space 261MB, available space 97.64MB
With an older backup of Cyanogen: Total space 261MB, available space 103MB
Both have my set of 42 apps installed (AngryBirds etc.)

How do you measure RAM? Terminal $ free - didn't seem to give meaningful info.
I know tipstir mentions available RAM often but I don't know how he reads the number.

On top of the default installed apps on the ROM, I also installed some apps i prefer. I just use advanced task manager and kill all that will get listed then the value I get there after it refresh would be my basis of the free ram.

97-103 MB free ram would be a very decent value. I not sure but I read some post in the forum that Eclair is wasting 100 MB of rams?

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
All the detail of how to kang an app from an AVD is in post #23 of
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...terminal-commands-like-reboot-recovery-3.html

I was surprised that the five screens for icons was Android 2.2 and not ADW. Settings -> Display -> Auto-rotate screen is ON but the home screen is still stuck in Portrait only. Any other setting to change? Could be one of the apps I purged I need back. Also when I click the launcher icon it's very slow to paint the screen with icons, black for a long time.
Now that I've gotten Launcher2.apk and tried it I'm switching back to ADW again.

jschill31 - keep us posted!

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
On top of the default installed apps on the ROM, I also installed some apps i prefer. I just use advanced task manager and kill all that will get listed then the value I get there after it refresh would be my basis of the free ram.

97-103 MB free ram would be a very decent value. I not sure but I read some post in the forum that Eclair is wasting 100 MB of rams?

From what i have seen it depends on what app you are using to read it... 1tap cleaner gives me 129mbs free but when i use Adroid assist i only see 60mbs of free ram. So i dont which is right... lol

I did have Tipstir's rom installed and 1tap was giving me I believe 200+ give or take a few ...

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
I know its a bit off the main topic but I'm confused by this. I was reading this process on XDA forums before it was moved over here and read in the main post that the ROM MOD is "Froyo Based" and then later read somewhere in the process for installing it mentions porting elements over from 2.1. So is this really 2.2 on the Coby? If anyone has tried it, is it worth it to some of the less experienced to try it?

WhiteWhiskers

Mar 11, 2011
is this really 2.2 on the Coby? If anyone has tried it, is it worth it to some of the less experienced to try it?
Yes, CyanogenMod is a true Android 2.2 Froyo. As for whether it's worth trying, in my experience it was a challenge installing it, neat to use, had some interesting features, but there were enough bugs and missing functionality from the stock ROM that I flashed back.

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
Yes, CyanogenMod is a true Android 2.2 Froyo. As for whether it's worth trying, in my experience it was a challenge installing it, neat to use, had some interesting features, but there were enough bugs and missing functionality from the stock ROM that I flashed back.

Thanks, WhiteWhiskers. I've read that in some of the earlier posts but there's not a lot of information. What bugs did you experience?

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I'll post a "ShootMe" image from Settings -> About phone. There are a couple of files pulled from 2.1 that are used. It is a different Android version as you'll see when you try it. The Linux script in the OP automates most all of the copy, download, paste and the two boots that are required.
My observations/opinions so far:
It does the essentials which for us is - DolphinHD, Opera, AngryBird, AB-Rio, AB-Seasons, Jewels, Zebra Puzzle, ScrambledNet, Andoku, OpenSoduku, SeQ, BullsAndCows, CuckooChess, FishFood, FrozenBubble, WiFi Buddy, GScript, AndExplorer, Kindle, FBReader, Adobe Reader, Jorte, TextEdit, HTML editor, ReducePhoto, RealCalc, La chaine Meteo, NPR News, CurrencyConverter, OsmAnd, Harrap.
Obviously missing from my list is GoogleAndroidMarket. The XDA site can step users through that. I don't plan to install it.
Also missing are 150,000 other apps that may or may not work, some being favorites/essential to others. So post experiences for others.

Things I like so far:
Graphics Fix so all the Angry Birds work. (I have a script to save/restore AB scores from one ROM to the next) ADB still works. USB mount - mounts both SDcard and NAND. USB mount screen stays on tablet while in use. I like that /system is mounted read-only (I have a script to remount it read-write for lcd_density edits etc.). Nicer menus with more items. 5 screens for home screen icons rather than 3. Power down has more options, even a reboot which option of reboot recovery. File upload works in Opera. YouTube worked in Opera. Neither worked in Dolphin but I still use Dolphin most.

Dislikes:
When booting it stops at screen wakeup, slide the icon to start. Some rest-less sleep not as bad as I saw with 2.1+Market. Had Dolphin or Opera ignore the keyboard once or twice. I think it was solved by letting it finish loading the home page before entering a new address.

Attachments

• $SystemInfo.jpg
    $SystemInfo.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 462

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
How about Flash 10.1 - is it functional?

Sent from my Kyros 7015 (Watery v1.2a[mod]) using the Android Tablet Forum App powered by Tapatalk.