-ROM- D2_711 (512MB Model)

htp24

Dec 21, 2012
myfishbear thanks for this custom rom!

im an android noob, i have been searching around for awhile on how to install this with no luck, seems like it should be easy, but i fail, lol. what exactly do i do in recovery mode and i noticed when i ran the batch files there was nothing that said they actually completed successfully, is that normal? im using a d2-711, just bought it a couple days ago.

Quick question, what does recovery mode look like for you? Like an android that was gutted? or a gear?

stolle

Dec 21, 2012
android front open with an exclamation point in a triangle. i got it flashed with v8 and the camera doesnt work lol. looks like netflix wont load either.

stolle

Dec 21, 2012
That sounds like stock recovery, my recovery will have a hat and display vampirefo.

indeed this was my problem i kept getting in to the stock recovery. thank you for this, i really appreciate you guys that do this type of stuff!

myfishbear

Nov 12, 2012
android front open with an exclamation point in a triangle. i got it flashed with v8 and the camera doesnt work lol. looks like netflix wont load either.
are you sure you dont have the 1 gb model. it has a rainbow screen on the box

stolle

Dec 21, 2012
are you sure you dont have the 1 gb model. it has a rainbow screen on the box

im sure its the 512 model, no rainbow screen on the box, it has the buttons on the side, i believe the 1gb version has the buttons on top?

another thing it did that was interesting, when i first turned it the density was 120, since i turned it off and back on again its back to the "stock" density, dont know if that means anything?

Last edited:

stolle

Dec 21, 2012
well netflix works now, i used the updated version from the play store, changed the density back with "density changer". overall this thing feels a bit snappier which is awesome, bummer the camera doesnt work, thanks again to all who put this together!

myfishbear

Nov 12, 2012
well netflix works now, i used the updated version from the play store, changed the density back with "density changer". overall this thing feels a bit snappier which is awesome, bummer the camera doesnt work, thanks again to all who put this together!

there must be 2 hardware revisions

mstech

Dec 19, 2012
there must be 2 hardware revisions
I just flashed 4 tablets blue and white colors. All flashed perfect on version 8 ROM with working camera. Tomorrow I will flash the black ones. Picked up from different stores cause they sold fast.
All serial numbers starting with D201209, don't go by rainbow picture on box look at serial number.

Also if anybody wants a snug secure fitting leather case with camera hole and don't mind trimming a small spot and 5 stitches. I found the kindle fire (not HD) case is good enough fit. The kindle light sensor hole matches this tablets camera. Picked up nice leather Fireware Folio Case cheap since kindle fire HD came out. I'll try to get to showing as soon as I can how simple and nice it came out as apposed to the flimsy universal cases with elastic holding cords. Tried those and tablet was sliding out.

protocall

Dec 22, 2012
Ok guys I have a 3yr old and a 9yr old and I want to buy them a tablet and was thinking about a nabi 2, the only thing is I cant afford to buy 2 nabi's .... then I came across the d2 which I could buy them both one and there would be no fighting over the tablet..... are these decent tablets? Does it have to be rooted to be a decent tablet and will everything work like the camera if rooted? can I load pure android on it without bloat ware? Im so confused over which would be better for the kids and still be a decent tablet that the wifi wont drop out on, please help. oh and does this tablet support flash?

Last edited:

mstech

Dec 19, 2012
I think so, my camera also seems to not work. Also, should there only be 1GB free?

curious what color your tablet is and serial number on back matches starting D201209? These came in 4 different colors.
Internal for installing apps is 1.15 GB and internal storage 0.98GB. It only has a 4GB ROM and that is how it is allocated. Your system takes up the rest.

mstech

Dec 19, 2012
Ok guys I have a 3yr old and a 9yr old and I want to buy them a tablet and was thinking about a nabi 2, the only thing is I cant afford to buy 2 nabi's .... then I came across the d2 which I could buy them both one and there would be no fighting over the tablet..... are these decent tablets? Does it have to be rooted to be a decent tablet and will everything work like the camera if rooted? can I load pure android on it without bloat ware? Im so confused over which would be better for the kids and still be a decent tablet that the wifi wont drop out on, please help.

I got a bunch of these as Christmas presents for adults and kids. Perfect for kids . Storage is small but so is the price and not having to listen to them fight over one tablets. Little kids don't need huge variety of apps and earning putting on a new free game as rewards is fun. I recommend getting the gloss tablets. While the colors are fun they have a rubberized satin coating that makes it more slippery for little hands. White tablet looks nice and doesn't show finger smudges like the black gloss does. just use different wallpaper to tell them apart.

These tablets come pre-rooted. No issue on wifi dropping. The battery life is mehhh but just enough. I get about 3 hours strait use of games and movies. Just keep screen brightness down and don't use live wallpaper. But kids need to get up and play so 3 hours is enough.

The kids place app is great you can lock them to just the apps you want them to use and not access anything else on tablet that would be better for 3year old. For 9yo it's enough to just set on google play set a pin for purchases and content filtering (they will need the pin to bipass filtering on apps and low maturity is good balance for that age).

protocall

Dec 22, 2012
I got a bunch of these as Christmas presents for adults and kids. Perfect for kids . Storage is small but so is the price and not having to listen to them fight over one tablets. Little kids don't need huge variety of apps and earning putting on a new free game as rewards is fun. I recommend getting the gloss tablets. While the colors are fun they have a rubberized satin coating that makes it more slippery for little hands. White tablet looks nice and doesn't show finger smudges like the black gloss does. just use different wallpaper to tell them apart.

These tablets come pre-rooted. No issue on wifi dropping. The battery life is mehhh but just enough. I get about 3 hours strait use of games and movies. Just keep screen brightness down and don't use live wallpaper. But kids need to get up and play so 3 hours is enough.

The kids place app is great you can lock them to just the apps you want them to use and not access anything else on tablet that would be better for 3year old. For 9yo it's enough to just set on google play set a pin for purchases and content filtering (they will need the pin to bipass filtering on apps and low maturity is good balance for that age).
thanks for the response the microcenter has some of these in stock but the 1ghz 512mb models should I beat myself up driving around to all the biglots trying to find the 1.2ghz 1g model?

mstech

Dec 19, 2012
If you can find the 1GB ram ones great but don't beat yourself looking. I went down that road. In the end I spent a whole day looking and ended having to drive extra miles just to get the 512MB ram cause they went fast and the stores said they won't get anymore. The 512MB ram ones are the ones on sale for $59. Also the store can hold them under your name for a few hours so just call first.