[ROM][Feb. 15 2011] >> phiremod nook BETA 2 << Themed Froyo 2.2.1

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
question:

i can just flash clockwork and then restore a 1.1 backup to go back to 1.1 (eclair) if i want to right?

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but i am still relatively new. What is and how do u backup emmc? Is that nandroid? I do have current backups from nandroid so therotically if i screw this up i should be able to just restore my most recent backup and be right back were i am now?

sorry .. back up your internal memory (eMMC) ..

..the second part of your question is one i just had myself... i believe we should be able to revert with a nandroid to our current setup.. not 100% sure .. let rico or stelv confirm or deny.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I was going to ask on xda what oc kernel they were using but I don't have access to post in developer forums. I'm so itching to try this. Rico is there anyway I could get instructions for the easiest sway to get there from my pre-rooted 1.1.0 rom thats overclocked to 1.1ghz. If possible i'd like to keep all the apps already installed.

You should backup the programs you want to keep with titanium backup. You can restore them with tibu later. You need to wipe system and data which will completely erase everything except for sdcard. Follow phiredrops instructions. And above all make sure you have a nandroid backup first.

*note not all Apps will work properly when restored with tibu. It is better to download them from market and just restore "data" from tibu if u can.

sent from my rooted nook color

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
To backup emmc can i just copyband paste it to my pc or do i need a specific app? Thanks again.

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
To backup emmc can i just copyband paste it to my pc or do i need a specific app? Thanks again.

yea just plug the NC into your computer and copy/paste the files from MyNookColor (atleast thats what it comes up as on my computer) onto your PC

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Extreme noobie question but flashing this rom does not screw with nandroid, so i can always boot back to recovery and install my current backup? No more questions after this... for awhile. :)

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
Extreme noobie question but flashing this rom does not screw with nandroid, so i can always boot back to recovery and install my current backup? No more questions after this... for awhile. :)

your nandroids will be saved to your SD card, which should not be touched at all by this process. so if you mess up and want to boot into recovery, you will be able to flash the nandroid.

if you accidentally seem to really mess everything up, dont panic... there are lots of ways to restore your NC to working condition.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Excuse my ignorance but i am still relatively new. What is and how do u backup emmc? Is that nandroid? I do have current backups from nandroid so therotically if i screw this up i should be able to just restore my most recent backup and be right back were i am now?

A nandroid backup is what is produced when u do a backup through clockwork recovery. It is a backup image of your entire system. It is like a snapshot of your system at that moment that you can fully restore later. It is placed on your sdcard at time of backup. It is good practice to copy entire folder called clockworkmod/backup to your pc or mac computer for safe keeping, in case something happens to sdcard.

One should be able to restore this backup (wiping certain things may b necessary before restore) if all goes well. But if recovery is broken somehow or rom has bugs with cwr...it will not work.

I have not tried to restore a backup while this rom is on my device...but Rico has reported that clockwork does work with this rom.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
The xda instructions are a little abbreviated. So if anyone needs clarification please ask.

Tips:
-have a nandriod backup on your sdcard and a copy of that also backed up to computer.
-make sure rom file downloads in its entirety. I think it is 85.58megs
-make sure you wipe correct items (be careful!)
-backup all your apps that u want to keep with titanium backup (don't need all. Just your favs). As I said before it is better to redownload Apps from market and just restore data if you can.
-read majority of this thread and xda thread before you start.
-do NOT format sdcard in nook once this rom is installed. There is a bug that will mess your nook up if you do.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
These questions are a lot off subject and really not the place for them, please ask on new topic or in general Nook section.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Rico is the market working for you now? Did you see my post a bit back?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
There is not a problem with market force closing for me

Yes you need to wipe system and data within mount and storage menu in clockwork before installing rom. That is prolly why it is force closing but not sure. I used the phiredrop xda instructions up until the YouTube login part.

For flash to work you need to install flash player from the market. Make sure market enabler is on.

Let me know if there are any bugs. I haven't really noticed any except for market not showing certain Apps.

Yea, I should have but opted not to wipe. On the bright side, besides a few forced errors, I have all my apps, Zeam and settings are same as before. Market works now and love the notification bar. I think I'm going to redo, wipe data and reinstall. I need api8 (2.2) apps anyway. ALso need to get a screenshot app to take some pics. :)

question:

i can just flash clockwork and then restore a 1.1 backup to go back to 1.1 (eclair) if i want to right?

Yes, CWR still works and you can just restore one of your saved backups to restore your 2.1 (b&n 1.1).

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Will do. My apologies. Thank u everyone again for bearing with me.

No problem and please don't let my post discourage you from asking questions. I just want to keep the thread somewhat on topic for those interested in the roms working and development. :)

thanks for the confirmation.. getting everything re-stalled now.

Again, np. I wouldn't flash any rom that I couldn't use a backup to restore. After some research, people gave the all clear to cwr with this rom so I figure it's relatively safe to try it out.

Last edited: