[ROM] Firmware for 4GB Haipad M701 HY 1221

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Ok, i know nothing about 2.2 specialy for the 4GB HY version.
The android 2.2 version that asure VeNoMoUs and fun_ are working on is based according to my knowledge on the 2.1 kernel fused with 2.2 components but they are working on their own kernel (they said on slatedroid that they have trouble building the 2.2 kernel)
The version from haipad.com is available in a 2nd version now that alows to play video and 3d games but it has no access to the android market or google applications.
Still if you use other applications and alternative markets it could be usable (but i dont know how stable it is)
That is no inside information, just what i picked up browsing the forums.

I would say sit tight for one or two more month and there might be something realy usable. (i am checking the Haipad page daily in anticipation)

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks Loonix, I am in the same ballpark then checking that Haipad website daily. Nice new website design they've just introduced don't you think? That is the only new update I saw on there recently!

djstomp

Jan 5, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I bought this hipad of china M701 4GB and would like to upgrade the firmware.
would appreciate if people post a link in English file "tcc8900_mtd2.2.rar" because when I go to download page can not understand anything because it is in Chinese ...:( or send to me in my email [email protected]

I wonder also if there are any problems with this firmware I can restore the original.
grateful for everyone's help, djstomp

Dec 30, 2010
Go directly here for the 2.2 firware update for the m701 from haipad HY version 4gb

http://36.bak.115cdn.com/pickdown/f...key1=4d243d60&key2=37382e3138392e3138362e3635

If this link doesn't work because it is a very long winded link then just go here:

http://u.115.com/file/f4f0d074e6 and click on the third link along in Chinese which looks like this: 115收藏夹

If you still have trouble then go to the ????--www.haipad.net site with the google browser and enable the automatic translate feature in the options to be able to view the site in English.

Good luck!

Last edited:

djstomp

Jan 5, 2011
LingerieOrder thanks for the help

* This upgrade to 2.2 disables the google market? and the Portuguese language?

* have you managed to use a 3g modem connected to the OTG port? 3G settings option does not appear in this version of firmware installed on my M701. The model of my modem is a 3G HUAWEI 1553 were not successful.
* have you managed to connect an external hd over port USB OTG? the manual says this is possible if the HD is formatted as FAT, someone already made this experience? You must enable the USB host or a device like?

with this upgrade I will have these possibilities?

grateful, Aldemar

Dec 30, 2010
djstomp
so many doubts...

LingerieOrder thanks for the help

* This upgrade to 2.2 disables the google market? and the Portuguese language? According to the haipad site this doesn't mention any significant problems, it doesn't mention that it is a test version like the m701 version without remote. I can only assume this means if they haven't mentioned it that it works. My pad is the standard m701 version and this HY version doesn't work for my pad.

* have you managed to use a 3g modem connected to the OTG port? 3G settings option does not appear in this version of firmware installed on my M701. The model of my modem is a 3G HUAWEI 1553 were not successful. I haven't used a 3G modem as of yet because I am thinking there is no point to set everything up if I am going to wipe it all when and if the 2.2 version doesn come out.
* have you managed to connect an external hd over port USB OTG? the manual says this is possible if the HD is formatted as FAT, someone already made this experience? You must enable the USB host or a device like? As far as I know if it acts like a usb drive then it should show up under a scsi device but I also haven't tried this yet.

with this upgrade I will have these possibilities? If Haipad are releasing a version of firmware for the pads, normally, and only if they don't add extra wording that this is a test version, it should be in a fully working order but with the market not being included don't worry too much about this because there are other ways to get the market on your device as listed here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/telechips-based/632-android-market-fix-tcc8902-tablets.html

grateful, Aldemar

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
* This upgrade to 2.2 disables the google market? and the Portuguese language?

The 2.2 version does remove Google Market (it can be added back), no idea about the language issue. However, this thread is about the "HY 1221" update, which to the best of my knowledge is Android 2.1 (someone who has applied this confirm please!) and is ONLY for the 4GB model because it uses a different brand of flash memory chip in it than the 2GB version.

* have you managed to use a 3g modem connected to the OTG port? 3G settings option does not appear in this version of firmware installed on my M701. The model of my modem is a 3G HUAWEI 1553 were not successful.

The Haipad site lists this firmware as supporting the Huawei EC122, E1750 and I assume it continues support available in prior releases. Looking back, though, I don't see the 1553 listed but other people who've contacted Haipad directly claim they confirmed support for it. That said, getting even a supported 3G modem to work seems hit or miss, mostly based on what country you're in (I've yet to hear of anyone in the USA getting one to work, I've heard of one in Spain that worked, one in Australia, the rest are all China and Korea - sorry but I have no clue if anyone in Brazil has got one to connect). Even if you have a 3G Modem that is supported hardware, I think you also need to be using a 3G service provider available in the list of 3G options under Settings.

* have you managed to connect an external hd over port USB OTG? the manual says this is possible if the HD is formatted as FAT, someone already made this experience? You must enable the USB host or a device like?

I have an external drive enclosure with a USB interface. Yes, it works just like mounting a flash drive and it does have to be FAT format.

djstomp

Jan 5, 2011
About the 3g and the USB devices: they are plug and play?

I think that my firmware is old cause i don't have any options to see which drivers are installed for 3g modems. My friend has a smartQ tablet and in his android OS has one option called "3G DIAL" and show a list of 3g modems available like:

Datang Aircard901
ZTE AC560, MF637U
Huawei EC1260, EC169, E180, E1750,

ps. my modem Huawei E1553 not working in his tablet too.

in M701, i just have one option called "3G settings" and i have to choose one of this options
England T-mobile
england vodafone (contract)
england O2 (contract, faster)
england O2 UK (pre-pay)
england orange (pay monthly) and so one...:(

in smartQ, another option called "dial setting" you can write the dial parameters setting, like username, password and phone number, and have an Auto dial option too. i wanna know if this options exists in this last firmware of M701 at the "wireless and network settings"
although, i will buy a huawei E1750 model.

USB hard drives: how the usb drives works is a plug and play device? or exists a manual configuration? i can't connect any pen drive and hard disk formatted as FAT 32 on my tablet :(

what the capacity of your Hard Drive in GB?

on our manual at section 18 External Devices, it shows a screen that i can't find in my tablet like "USB connection". in SmartQ tablet has a option called "usb otg setting" where we can choose the otg mode Host and Device, what it means?
i wanna know if this options are present in your firmware upgrade (the last one)

at the "about device" i have this configuration:
model number: MID
Firmware version: 2.1-update1 (has another one for 2.1?)
Build Number: MID 1.1

should i update the firmware to show all this options above?
thanks a lot!

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
@djstomp

The options available vary from firmware and device. smartQ has options M701 doesn't, and vise versa.

USB Flash drives (formatted FAT) are "plug and play" devices. After plugging in look in the notification bar at the top of your screen and it should say "Preparing SD Card" indicating it is mounting the USB drive.

To access files on the USB drive you need to use a File Manager (I use "ES File Manager" app) and go to "/scsi" folder, where you'll see the USB drive's files.

As for 3G Modems, the support on these tablets is very poor. As I am in the United States it seems our support for this feature is zero so I'm sorry I can't help you.

Under Settings>About Device what is the "kernel build" line? That will tell us all what firmware you have installed on it.

NeilB

Mar 8, 2011
in M701, i just have one option called "3G settings" and i have to choose one of this options
England T-mobile
england vodafone (contract)
england O2 (contract, faster)
england O2 UK (pre-pay)
england orange (pay monthly) and so one...:(

USB hard drives: how the usb drives works is a plug and play device? or exists a manual configuration? i can't connect any pen drive and hard disk formatted as FAT 32 on my tablet :(

at the "about device" i have this configuration:
model number: MID
Firmware version: 2.1-update1 (has another one for 2.1?)
Build Number: MID 1.1

should i update the firmware to show all this options above?
thanks a lot!

I have a M701 exactly the same. I ignored the 3G settings and plugged my Huawei E220 modem in. After about 15 - 20 seconds it connected and I get a E symbol in the top of the screen. The light goes turquoise which means I have a HSPDA connection.
All I had to do to make it work was disable the CDROM function of the modem with the DIAG^U2=0 command (something like that anyway. Use google to find the correect command). So it must read the isp information etc off the SIM in the modem.

Don't let the fact that I am in Oman worry you as the phone system is based on the UK system and runs the same frequencies etc. So if it works for me here it should work all over Europe.

The USB sticks and FAT formatted disks are seen as scsi disks. If you install a file browser you can browse to the scsi folder and see all your files.

Hope this helps.

Neil

djstomp

Jan 5, 2011
I recently bought this modem, Huawei E1750 to do the 3g connection in my Mid tablet

I'm having the following problem: when i put it on the modem port usb, the tablet recognizes it as a sd card and not as a modem. I read in a forum that should disable the CD inputs and SD of the modem through a program called MWconn, using a specific command to the modem.

I found by google, the specification of this modem below:

Huawei AT-commands - 3G modem wiki

I used the program MWconn, opened the program and put this command AT ^ U2DIAG = 0 to disable cd and sd, according to the link but did not work.

I have to put this command directly at the tablet? where is this option?

Thanks a lot, again Aldemar

NeilB

Mar 8, 2011
I used the program MWconn, opened the program and put this command AT ^ U2DIAG = 0 to disable cd and sd, according to the link but did not work.

I have to put this command directly at the tablet? where is this option?

Thanks a lot, again Aldemar

I plugged the modem into a computer running XP and opened Hyperterminal. Connected to the modem and then ran that AT command that you list above (without the spaces) and for me it worked. Maybe you just need the correct terminal program or no spaces.

Mar 13, 2011
Sure man, glad to help another person out.

The big thing: If you have the 4GB version, this is the only firmware you can use right now other than the original.

First, you need to install the VTC drivers. If you, like me, have Windows 7 or Vista, you'll need to get them from the link at the second post in this thread. Just install the drivers from the VTC folder, ignore the rest of the stuff in there, its not for your tablet, just grab the Drive-vtcdrv folder. :p http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-haipad-701-r-firmware-using-windows-7-a.html. If you're using Windows XP or 2000, you can use the drivers packed with this firmware.

Second, you need to get FWDN. If you're using Windows 7, you can't used the FWDN v2.10 packed with this firmware as it'll just give you blank screens. You can get FWDN v2.13, which is what I used, from the firmware download linked here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/telechips-based/2445-new-firmare-out-haipad-m701.html. Again you do NOT want to use anything else from this rar except for the FWDN_V7_v2.13 folder and the FWDN_V7_CFG.ini file. And again, if you're using Windows XP or 2000, you can just use v2.10.

Third, you need to get this firmware RAR if you haven't already.

Fourth, after installing the VTC drivers (x86 7 folder for Windows 7 and Vista 32-bit, x64 folder for Windows 7 and Vista 64-bit, vtcdrv folder from this RAR for XP and 2000), you want to start up FWDN_V7_<v2.13 or v2.10>.exe and add lk.rom and tcc8900_mtd.img from this RAR (click the ... and go into the 20101221_nobluetooth_ec12_hy folder, select "All files" under files of type, add both of them, doesn't matter in which order).

Fifth, plug your HaiPad, which should be switched off, into your computer. Hold down all three buttons and then switch it on. You'll know you're successful when it freezes at the HaiPad logo and FWDN pops up a little blue window which says "Device Init Successful" and then disappears. You should now see a NAND Data button on the side of the FWDN window.

STOP. MAKE SURE the NAND Data partition reads as a number of kilobytes beginning with 3, not 2. If it begins with 2, either you do NOT have the 4GB version, or you do and you've flashed the wrong firmware before. If you've flashed the wrong firmware before, you'll know, as your machine will freeze at the HaiPad logo screen no matter what you do. Also, you will have noticed that the amount of kilobytes for NAND Data ORIGINALLY began with 3. I'm being cautious because I do NOT know what could happen to a 2GB haipad flashed with the 4GB firmware, but I'm sure it would be nothing good.

IF AND ONLY IF YOU HAVE FLASHED THE WRONG FIRMWARE: We're going to need to do this somewhat different. Remove the tcc8900_mtd.img from the list, so that only lk.rom is present. Now hit Start and wait for it to finish flashing (blue box should turn a pale green). Then reset your HaiPad with the switch, bringing it back into flashing mode. You should notice that the NAND Data is now the right size. What we did was rewrite the basic ROM of your HaiPad back to normal so that its partition map is now correct again. Now re-add tcc8900_mtd.img.

Alright, continuing on from there, both for those who flashed the wrong firmware and those starting from the original firmware:

Sixth, click the NAND Data partition button. It'll bring you to a screen where you can create a brand new, empty Data partition. You'll want to make sure its set to create a FAT partition with the label HaiPad. Nothing else in here matters, not even the filename of the image you save (it can be ihaverabies.goo for all the thing cares.) Create the image and you'll find its automatically added to your list of files to flash.

You may notice the firmware already comes with a "NAND Data.fai" file. Well, this is never the right size and honestly I don't know why it even exists, as its obviously just a file with a FAT format and a bunch of zeroes, as thats what a blank NAND Data is. The NAND Data partition is where apps you install end up, where your settings go, and where things you download go if you don't have an SD card, it has no preloaded data in it and shouldn't have. Feel free to overwrite this file with your new NAND Data image and use that whenever you need to flash in the future. This is in fact what the original instructions have you do, which further emphasizes the uselessness of the file as its apparently only there to be replaced.

Seventh, click Start, and wait. This will take about 5 to 20 minutes depending on the speed of your computer and your USB connection. If it takes more than 20 minutes, and it's reached the "CRC Check" step, the progress bar is full, and it doesnt seem to be doing anything... Congrats, you've ignored my warnings and flashed the 4GB HaiPad firmware to an incompatible device. You're on your own.

Eighth, you should now be presented with a green window telling you the firmware flash was successful. Unplug your HaiPad from the computer, shut it off, and turn it back on the normal way. If it worked, the splash screen should give way to the familiar lone green Android. Congrats. Confirm you've got the new firmware by trying out the YouTube app. At least, that was the only thing really broken for me on the original firmware.

Hi
Thanks very much for the post
I have run into one problem though..
the device read screen does come up but the nand partition does not show anything. It is just grey and stays grey..
can you help here?
thanks

Chas Large

Mar 23, 2011
Any chance someone can e-mail me with an XP driver for the M701 4GB HY unit, I just want to communicate with it through Windows so I can write apps via App Inventor. All the links to Chinese sites don't seem to work despite using Chrome and translating them. I thought you could upload files here but seems not. Please use the PM system to contact me and I'll send you my e-mail. Really appreciative of all the help and advice I've read here, I'm happy with my tablet running 2.1 at the moment so not desperate to update the firmware unless there is a need to. Cheers Chas.