[Rom][Howto] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 . . The most popular Rom for gTablet

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Edit 8/27/2011

Latest release from gojimi:[BL1.1] [BL1.2]VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition v7.1.0 [UPDATED - 8/27/11]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1236880

Note: make sure to read carefully the main page above. This is not an ordinary release. Many changes and upgrades were implemented that normal tweaks may no longer advisable. There are two versions, for 1.1 and 1.2 bl. Be sure to use the right one for your device.

This rom has been my favorite for a long time.

Dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ref:
VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 [ROM] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 [UPDATED - 4/11] - xda-developers
Ref: VTL.Launcher 1.6.2http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1046302

The VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition is, without doubt, the most popular custom Rom for the Viewsonic gtablet. The vast amount of features of this Rom offers users the flexibility to adapt the tablet to their own tastes. The VTL-Launcher brings a new dimension and makes this Rom the best of the bests. In addition, earlier versions of VEGAn roms have been know for its stability and functionality. It is the reason that a great many users called it their favorite.

I like the TnT Lite for its simplicity and the Calkulin+Clemsyn combo for its outstanding battery life. Other custom Roms, 1.1 or 1.2 based, or stock Firmwares, do have their Pros and Cons. Everyone of them deserves a place of their own, and fits a specific type of users. Therefore, it is not fair to rate and say that any one Rom, or Firmware, is better than another. It is all about users' preferences.

Out of curiosity, I thought about giving it a try. Finally, I got some free times yesterday. As usual, I make notes of problems that others encountered, then write up the installation steps that would include the learned lessons. Then I follow my own steps and make adjustments as necessary along the way.

Here are the steps that I prepared and followed with good success.

DISCLAIMER: Use the instructions below at your own risks
WARNING: Please read the entire thread before attempting to use the following procedure. Many people succeeded, but many have failed. This could happen to you. Pay attention to post #6. If you feel comfortable with nvflashing and are willing to take the risk, then proceed and best of luck to you. Otherwise, please consider other alternatives. There are many other outstanding rom's available, and each has its own risk implementing. Either way, proceed with utmost caution.

1> First download the files (shown at the bottom)
2> If ClockWorkMod v0.8 was not installed, connect the tablet to PC, copy the recovery folder and update.zip (see download links) to the root of the internal sdcard. When done, power off then push and hold 'volume up' and 'power' buttons until a small text appears on the top right corner. Release both buttons. CWM will install.
3> Back up your data (i.e. nanoidbackup, titanium back-up, or other means).
4> Boot to CWM recovery with Pwr and Vol+ until a tiny message appears on the top right corner then release both buttons.
5> Choose "advanced", then "Partition SD Card", then select 2048M for Ext size, then 0M for swap size, then press the Home button.
6> Connect the tablet to PC using USB cable. Go to the "mounts and storage" menu, then choose "mount USB storage". You should see the tablet's internal SDCARD folder on your PC. There should be nothing shown in the root folder of the SDCARD.
7> Create a directory in the root SDCARD and name it 'Rom'. Copy all the downloaded files to the tablet's 'Rom' directory.
8> Select unmount and return to main menu of CWM. Disconnect the USB cable from the PC. Return to CWM main menu.
9> Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then select "Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip" and click the Home button to install.
10> Go to Advance, and Clear Dalvik-cache. Return to CWM main menu.
11> Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then select "update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip" and click the Home button to install. This is a good option to ensure that gingerbread rom installs with minimum issue. Note: skip this step if you already were at stock 3588 when starting the installation.
12> Choose "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then select "VEGAn-GE-7.0.0-RC1-Harmony-signed.zip'. When complete, select 'reboot'.
13> The new VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition should boot up within a minute. (Subsequent boot up time is very fast within 15 seconds).
14> After the first boot and setup screens, reboot to finish installation. The new screen will have a lock bar; Pull the lock bar to the right to unlock the screen.
15> Although this step was specifically required for froyo based rom, it would be a good practice to turn wifi to never sleep. Do this: settings>wireless and networks>wifi settings> menu button(gtab right side)> advanced>wifi sleep policies> never. Power off.
16> Install CWM. See <2> above. When we flash the stock 3588, it wipes out CMW. Therefore, we need to re-install it.
17> Power off and boot into CWM. Flash the 'pershoot' kernel (or any other kernel of choice - remember, straight up, no clearing anything just install from zip). Recommended setting for the SetCPU is : CPU setting at 1.4 max and 456 min.
18> Gojimi released the latest VTL Launcher v1.6.2 (2nd link above). Install it then select 'com.vtlab.launcher' as the default (the other, com.android.launcher is the beta version which was packed with the rom).

Enjoy the most popular Rom to date.

I like everything about this Rom. It deserves to be the most popular custom Rom without doubt. Everything works smoothly. There are a lot of settings to tweak the tablet. Video streaming is smooth and the market works right out of the box.

There are two things that I rather to see different:
. The included keyboard is awkward to use. I most prefer the standard TnT Western Keyboard. It seemed that there is no certain way to fix it.
. The notification bar should be at the top right like other firmwares and roms. At the minimum, it should be on the right corner. The default, which cannot be changed, is on the bottom left. If we are to hold the tablet with a left hand, then the right hand has to come across to activate the icons.

Download lists:
. ClockWorkModv0.8 gtab-cwm-v08.zip or xda-developers. After downloading, unpack to have a recovery folder and an update.zip file.
. Rom: Downloads « VEGAn-TAB or http://vegantab.gojimi.com/download/VEGAn-GE-7.0.0-RC1-Harmony-signed.zip
. Stock 3588 image http://tapntap.http.internapcdn.net/tapntap/viewsonic/update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip
. Calkulin's Format_all.zip xda-developers
. Kernel boot-cm_2632.39_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-042411 http://droidbasement.com/gtab/kernels/2632/35/boot-cm_2632.39_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-042411.zip

VEGAn Default Wallpaper
2dj5a49.jpg

VEGAn.FlyingHoneyComb.Wallpaper
308z706.jpg

VEGAn.SmartBench.Score
ouxtw6.jpg

Edit 5/1/2011:
Updated Kernel 04/30/2011:
http://droidbasement.com/gtab/kernels/2632/37/boot-cm_2632.39_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-043011.zip
(This latest kernel also works with latest CM7)
Pershoot Main Site : http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/
Just boot up in CWM and flash. Remember, straight up, no clearing anything just install from zip.

Pleasant Surprise: Upon connecting the tablet to a PC, the PC sees both internal (SDCARD) and external (SDCARD2). And according to Pershoot, if USB disk is connected, the PC would see that too.

Edit 6/4/2011 Pershoot's Updated Kernel http://droidbasement.com/gtab/kernels/2632/41/boot-cm_2632.41_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-060311.zip

Updated 7/29/2011
Latest VTL.Launcher 1.6.5 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1046302
Latest Pershoot Kernel http://droidbasement.com/gtab/kernels/2632/44/boot-cm_2632.43_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-072711.zip

Last edited:

GoJimi

Jan 25, 2011
GREAT WRITE UP! Excellent instructions. A Quick note about the status bar on the bottom.... it is changeable. If you go to settings/VeganTab Settings/Tablet Tweaks you can change it from bottom to top and/or move the buttons left/right as well as select which buttons out of 5 you would like to have there. Hope this helps.

--Enjoy!

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hah Hah Hah . . . The KING himself is here and listening. It is perfect now. The notification is at the top right hand. Beautiful.

Thanks Gojimi

Revised Screen Shot with the Notification at the Top Right Corner

2q2iuqw.jpg

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
Looks pretty darn cool. Will runs this, this weekend when I get the first chance. I see max cpu is 1.4g wish th he the lower point around 4 something. How is battery life? Can't wait.............. As I use my tab at work for meeting notes and quick file reference, I can't wait to see the responses when I show it next week.

Edit 5/2
After trouble getting myo PC to see my tablet to start the refresh of the ROM, I was finally able to complete in about an hour. Went smooth as silk, still completing the last of the backups, but do far outstanding. I will need to see hite it fairs after a day at work, but it looks very hopefull. Business review coming in the next day or so.

Last edited:

justdrooit

Apr 21, 2011
Actually I sort of prefer the keyboard in VEGAn-Tab GE. I've never liked the feel of onscreen keyboards, but at least with this one, I can use it more like I use the keyboard on my Blackberry Bold. Good thumbs keyboard. Whomever pieced this ROM together, it's fine to put the other keyboard in, but please DON'T get RID of this one! Leave it as an option.

raindoggie

Apr 29, 2011
Hi folks! New here. Please don't crucify me because I'm new. I've done a lot of reading here and at XDA and I've come up empty handed.

I've had the G Tab for a couple weeks now. When I first got it I tried to flash the VEGAn Tab Ginger Edition right away because it just looks so damn sexy. I got it from the Woot sale in March and didn't get a hold of it til a few weeks later cuz I was out of town. Anyhoo...the Tap UI was 1.1-3588 after the OTA. I followed the instructions for the Ginger Edition to the "T" and it didn't flash (!!!) It was stuck on the bird screen. I then flash back to 1.1-3588 and I'm good to go.

So then I do a wipe and flash Vegan Tab 5.1.1 and it works just fine! Woo Hoo! I have a working ROM! I'm happy with it for a few weeks but I'm still eying the Ginger Edition and want to give it a go. So I backup everything and I follow this instruction, again to the "T". No Go. :-( Same as before.

What am I doing wrong? Please help...

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hello raindoggie,

Gojimi stated :

" . . . Installation is just like the experimentals through CWM wipe data/cache/dalvik... no exceptions. It could take up to 5 minutes to boot the first time as it is building the dalvik database and cache. Remember to reboot after first boot and setup screens to finish installation. ---- If you have issues booting the first time (ie. boot loops) and you have never run any other gingerbread build before then you probably need to NVFLASH to stock before you can run any GingerBread builds as there is a partition issue from factory on your device.... NVFLASH to stock will repartition everything for you. . .. . "

Therefore, I included step <11> which I hoped to avoid using nvflash to stock 3588. And it did work for me.

In addition, I found that steps <5>, <9> and <10> are very valuable before changing from one Rom to another. I had problem before when testing G-Harmony 2.3. Since then, adding these steps did wonder.
Perhaps you can try to follow all steps from the original post again, or nvflash as Gojimi stated and start over.

Let us know. Good Lucks.

Dave,

vien1964

Apr 30, 2011
I tried the steps. Works great except...

after I install the kernel, I continuously get "wifi error" so I cannot connect.
I reflash back to Vegan7 and it would work again. Tried it 3 times and same error.
Suggestions welcome.

Thanks for the great notes and wonderful rom!

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
. . aftter I install the kernel, I continuously get "wifi error" so I cannot connect. . .

Hi there,

I've seen some posts regarding the subject; Pershoot (the kernel developer) stated "the wifi module did not get copied in to place by the flashing process properly (corrupt, etc.)'; pull it from the .zip and push it to your system ; your wifi will work fine after that. ."
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Kernel] 2.6.32.39 - OC-UV-VFP_FP (1.400GHZ) - Gtab/Zpad (Update 4/30/11)

Therefore, the recommendation would be:

Option 1>
. Re-download the file (see the link in my first post). Perhaps your first download had some problem ( ? )
. Then re-flash the kernel only (remember, straight up, no clearing anything just install from zip).
Option 2>
. Re-download the kernel
. Follow Pershoot's instruction here [Kernel] 2.6.32.39 - OC-UV-VFP_FP (1.400GHZ) - Gtab/Zpad (Update 4/30/11) - Page 94 - xda-developers.

Good luck and let us know how it works.

Dave

vien1964

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the prompt reply and link. Here are the results.

Option 1> [Tried multiple times, no go ... same wifi error on enabling wifi]
. Re-download the file (see the link in my first post). Perhaps your first download had some problem ( ? )
. Then re-flash the kernel only (remember, straight up, no clearing anything just install from zip).

Option 2> [I also tried multiple times with various flavors but using Root-Explorer ... same wifi error. Perhaps using ADB would have work but I did not try.]
. Re-download the kernel
. Follow Pershoot's instruction here [Kernel] 2.6.32.39 - OC-UV-VFP_FP (1.400GHZ) - Gtab/Zpad (Update 4/30/11) - Page 94 - xda-developers.

Then I went to "http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=1828"
and download "boot-cm_2632.39_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-042811.zip"
which is a later version than the one you posted (042411).
Perform Option 1 with this file and bingo, no more wifi error.

Thanks for the great help. Could not get VeganGE without your help.

ChungHK

May 1, 2011
I got two GTablet, and both upgraded OK except one that's with missing Google Market Icon
I have try to repeat the step multiple times, but no luck
the one missing Market Icon is brand new with no ViewSonic update; however, I did follow the #11 "update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip" to bring it to the 3588 level...

Update>>>

Sorry... I just found the solution to my own problem... In order for the Market Icon to show, it must config the Wifi first... Thanks

Last edited:

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
How stable has this been for everyone? I am running CM7 but I have to say that the ui looks very pleasing and the scores look phenomenal.

Also any idea when the final version will be released?

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

seldeen

May 3, 2011
Thanks! This is a great walk through. First time using cwm or installing a rom, but worked just as described. Instructions were easy to follow. Great for newbies.

To all new users - after playing with it for 30 minutes, it is so much better than my stock 3588.

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
So up to today I was just loving this ROM. That is until I went to post my praises on the thread here. I scroll to the bottom of the thread... hit the reply button... put is a high praise title and... I can not get into the text box to type squat... for some reason I can enter the title and the tags but nothing in between. I tried the slide it key board, same issue. I was was having zero issues with the CM7 ROM so I know that the hardware is ok. Just stumped on this. As I need this to work with at work I will try other programs to see if there is similar issues and update this post. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan