[Rom][Howto] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 . . The most popular Rom for gTablet

rgc6789

Apr 8, 2011
So up to today I was just loving this ROM. That is until I went to post my praises on the thread here. I scroll to the bottom of the thread... hit the reply button... put is a high praise title and... I can not get into the text box to type squat... for some reason I can enter the title and the tags but nothing in between. I tried the slide it key board, same issue. I was was having zero issues with the CM7 ROM so I know that the hardware is ok. Just stumped on this. As I need this to work with at work I will try other programs to see if there is similar issues and update this post. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Are you viewing it in the browser or the app?
Do you have issues with other websites also or just this one?
If using a browser, did you try using a different browser like Opera, etc?

astevens54

Dec 3, 2010
I had VEGAn GB installed. It looked great, however video studdered. I re-installed TnT 5.01 and it seems to run smoother in all aspects.

chemsolder

Apr 30, 2011
Been loving some gingerbread vegan style but having a lot of micro sd problems such as playing video .ago format from it and pictures sometimes coming into the gallery and other times not. A side note when they do come to.the.gallery when I reboot they are not usually on the sd card anymore. Ugh lost to the big bit bucket in the sky. And yes I have tried more than one card. Any ideas or is this more than just a ginger issue?

Thanks all

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Tablet Forum

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I had VEGAn GB installed. It looked great, however video studdered. I re-installed TnT 5.01 and it seems to run smoother in all aspects.

Hi there, are you referring to flash video or video player ? If it is the latter one, which app do you use ?
Anyway, TnT series are all great rom's.
It is all about user's preference.

Dave

Been loving some gingerbread vegan style but having a lot of micro sd problems such as playing video .ago format from it and pictures sometimes coming into the gallery and other times not. A side note when they do come to.the.gallery when I reboot they are not usually on the sd card anymore. Ugh lost to the big bit bucket in the sky. And yes I have tried more than one card. Any ideas or is this more than just a ginger issue?. . .

Hi there, I've seen comments from different Rom's that media files got deleted after rebooting. The fix, may work or may not, is to have a folder with the name .nomedia at the rood of the external sd card. Some mentioned about creating a file with the name .nomedia too. See this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1059464

What rom did you use that had no problem ?

I do not have the problem that you stated, therefore I can't relate to that. Hopefully others with more experiences can offer more helps to you.

Dave

Last edited:

chemsolder

Apr 30, 2011
Hey Dave appreciate the reply I have applied the .nomedia file I was experimenting though trying to get the gallery to scan that area, it seems to me that when Android sees the .nomedia it assumes just that and doesn't look for files in that area. I have not used a Rom without issues stock was just unbearable slow issues with force close etc. There are only a couple of areas with the gingerbread Rom I am getting fc's and I don't think it is the fault of the Rom I think it lies in the.app itself. As for the video issue about ten minutes ago I just got xy player to play the avi without it being stored on the internal memory. I had been using the player within gallery and tried a couple of others, it seems they just don't like reaching outside onto sdcard2. I do like the ginger Rom enough to fight to make it work for me.

Sent from my Desire HD using Android Tablet Forum

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
chemsolder,

You are welcome !
I'd recommend, rather strongly, Rockplayer Universal Full v1.7.1 apk and UPnPlay apk. This combination provides the best of both worlds, playing local media or wireless streaming from PC or server.

Dave,

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
Not sure if it should go here or not. I love this Ron, but a very needed accessory is my NY keyboard. The Cm7 ROM I was using the palm BT keyboard worked like a champ. With the GB ROM I can not even get it to pair and connect. unless I casket some assistance on this, it is back to the CM7 rom. if this is not the correct thread please move.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Not sure if it should go here or not. I love this Ron, but a very needed accessory is my NY keyboard. The Cm7 ROM I was using the palm BT keyboard worked like a champ. With the GB ROM I can not even get it to pair and connect. unless I casket some assistance on this, it is back to the CM7 rom. if this is not the correct thread please move.

I am using this ROM with my BT Keyboard, so perhaps try resetting and reconnecting. The other option to see if it is a HID driver issue is try the BlueInput app and see if that fixes it. Be sure if you try this to include moving the BlueInput app to your /system/apps directory as described here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/viewsonic-gtablet/8104-bluetooth-mouse-keyboard-working.html

guxx

May 5, 2011
When I got to step 11 I got an error that said E: Can't open /sdcard/ROM/update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip (bad). Installation aborted.

I skipped that step and continued. Now I am stuck on the ViewSonic bird screen. Any suggestions?

This is the first ROM I have tried to install.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
When I got to step 11 I got an error that said E: Can't open /sdcard/ROM/update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip (bad). Installation aborted.
I skipped that step and continued. Now I am stuck on the ViewSonic bird screen. Any suggestions? This is the first ROM I have tried to install.

Hi there,

I have not experienced this problem, therefore based on your reported error, I can only offer you a guessing analysis that the downloaded zip file was bad and needs to re-download and compare.

Secondly, which firmware were you at before starting ? Step <11> said Note: skip this step if you already were at stock 3588 when starting the installation.

Nevertheless, let's try to get you back on track (also I'd ask others to chime in and help if you had similar experiences).

1> First, let us know what firmware you were at when you started (i.e. 3389, 3588, 4349, etc . . )
2> Can you turn off, then push and hold the volume up + power buttons to get back into clockworkmod (CWM) again ? If you can, then after re-downloaded the update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip, carefully start over again from the beginning thru every steps.

Let us know, and we'd go from there.

Dave

guxx

May 5, 2011
I re-downloaded the update, started from the start, and it took. I installed the VegaN flash and am back on the ViewSonic picture. ATM its been sitting here for 10 minutes.

I'm not sure what firmware i had before. All i can say is that I got the tablet, and did an update right away.

Edit: I turned off the tablet, then pushed power and the Volume +, but all i get is a picture of a box with a green arrow coming out of it. Then it goes back to the bird screen. I think I'm screwed.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I re-downloaded the update, started from the start, and it took. I installed the VegaN flash and am back on the ViewSonic picture. ATM its been sitting here for 10 minutes.

I'm not sure what firmware i had before. All i can say is that I got the tablet, and did an update right away.

Edit: I turned off the tablet, then pushed power and the Volume +, but all i get is a picture of a box with a green arrow coming out of it. Then it goes back to the bird screen. I think I'm screwed.

Don't worry ! all of us (especially me) have gone thru this problem at one point or another. That is the reason that I prepared my installation steps carefully before I started a new rom.

Alright, let's see how we should get you back to a working state.

1> Gojimi stated in his Rom Introduction Post : . . . "If you have issues booting the first time (ie. boot loops) and you have never run any other gingerbread build before then you probably need to NVFLASH to stock before you can run any GingerBread builds as there is a partition issue from factory on your device.... NVFLASH to stock will repartition everything for you. . . "

Therefore, let's learn how to nvflash your tablet to stock, by looking at this thread [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers. We all should know this technique as it is most valuable, and the time to learn, practice, is well worth the effort.
Now, that thread is long since it covers both linux and windows. So I condensed the thread to reflect windows usage only. Here it is :

Ref: [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers
This is a condensed version of the above thread, focusing only to windows users.

The NVFlash setup process begins with a visit to:
Dropbox - nvflash_gtablet - Simplify your life
(Note: Sometime this DropBox is cranky. If you have trouble with it, check back later.)
Windows users: You want to get "nvflash_windows_20100500.zip" and ""nvflash_gtablet_2010110500.zip"
Note: The above "nvflash_gtablet_2010110500" is commonly referred to as bekit version 1105 in many posts relating to nvflashing

Installation

First, create a folder named "NVFlash" on your PC to put the needed files into and to work from. (Note: You can call it something else if you want to; we're just using "NVFlash" to keep all of us on the same page.)
Next, extract the files you downloaded from the DropBox above into the "NVFlash" directory. The files with linux and windows in the middle of then are the files for setting up NVFlash. (The are taken from the SDK and do not install the whole SDK -- just a simple, operable NVFlash for us to use here.) The files with gTablet in the middle contains the .img files with the software to go on your G-Tablet.
Third, for Windows users, you'll need to have an APX-specific USB driver for the next steps. (The Windows package bekit supplied has an .inf file in it, but the actual drivers are not there). For Linux users, you don't need an extra driver.
One source for the Windows drivers is at
Advent | Vega Internet tablet or here http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/SystemUSB.zip

Find the "Downloads" tab in the middle of the page and click on "USB System Driver" to get the files. Extract them and go down two levels to the "USB" folder -- and move that into your "NVFlash" directory. The USB folder has the .inf file for installation in it along with two other directories with drivers for the various operating systems. (Note: These drivers, which are the same as the drivers in the SDK, are proven to work with Win 7 64-bit and have the setup include to load into other versions of Windows.) Follow this narrative for actual installation of the drivers.

CHECKPOINT: At this point, you should have the nvflash files, .img files, and USB directory (and files) in you "NVFlash" directory and are ready to begin the recovery process.

Now, you will need to boot into G-Tablet APX mode: hold down the power and volume - button simultaneousl until your G-Tab comes up and the goes back to a black screen. The black screen means it is in APX mode and it is waiting to display the flashing process. In Linux, type "lsusb" in a terminal and you should see this "0955:7820 NVidia Corp.". 7820 means the device is in APX mode.

Connect your G-Tablet to your PC using your miniUSB to USB cable that came with your tablet.

When you connect to the PC, the PC immediately tries to load a driver -- but since it doesn't know where the USB driver files are it will fail. Click through Start/Control Panel/Device Manager and find "APX" listed in the devices with a yellow "!" (exclamation point) on the icon. Select the APX item and find the "Update Driver" button and click it. When it asks where to search, choose the local computer manual selection choice and tell it to Browse.

Point the Browse (and the USB install) at the "USB" directory under the "NVFlash" folder. When pointed at the "USB" directory, the driver installed and I was ready to nvflash. If you go back to Device Manager after the Windows install has completed, it will show the nVidia USB drivers near the top of the USB device list.

Again, for Windows: Run this script which is in the "NVFlash" folder:

nvflash_gtablet.bat
Note: I used win7 ultimate. I have to be in CMD to run this bat file.

This will wipe the device back to bekit's original TnT stock image except for user data, which is retained. Should take about a minute to run and the device will reboot itself automatically all the way to the main screen.

POST NVFlash:

When your G-Tablet has booted back to the main screen, you will have to check and make sure everything is set up. Particularly, get the wifi on and connected to the Internet. Almost immediately, you should get a notice about an OTA (over the air) update. This is the OTA Update to software version 3588. If it does, go ahead and have it do the update. From there, you can begin using your "stock 3588" G-Tablet.

If you don't get an automatic OTA notification, you can go the to manual "Update" icon on your tablet and have it check for updates -- and hopefully it will find OTA 3588.

2> Once you complete the nvflashing, start again from the beginning to install VEGAn.Tabs.GigerEdition.

If you have any question, do not hesitate to post question again.

Dave,

guxx

May 5, 2011
I friggin love you. I'm installing the 1.1-3588 right now.

Gonna retry the VEGAn after the update is finished.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Good luck ! We keep an eye out for you. Let us know how it work.
Dave,