[Rom][Howto] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 . . The most popular Rom for gTablet

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Dan,

Pershoot released a newer kernel version than the one that I tested in the original post. This is the new one:

ViewSonic Gtab/Malata Zpad (Gingerbread):
boot-cm_2632.40_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip
http://droidbasement.com/gtab/kernels/2632/38/boot-cm_2632.40_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-051311.zip

Review item <17> for installation and for what it does, plus take time to look at Pershoot's thread [Kernel] 2.6.32.40 - OC-UV-VFP_FP (1.400GHZ) - Gtab/Zpad (Update 5/13/11) - xda-developers. Pershoot's kernel greatly improves the interface layer between the hardware and the software, so your tablet's functionality would be even better. Again, I have not tried the newer kernel, so make sure to read over his thread.

Dave,

gmtk1990

May 23, 2011
I have followed the instructions to a T but when I reboot I just get the viewsonic screen with the birds. I've tried several roms. I am able to reset using the file update-smb_a1002-3588-user.zip. But I can't flash any other roms using these instructions. The only steps I haven't tried is the NVFlash. The procedure I've seen here don't make sense. It looks like I am controlling the Gtab from my PC. All the APX drivers stuff is throwing me off. My PC recognizes the tablet when attached & there is no APX device in the control panel with an exclamation point. There is an nvidea device listed as a hard drive.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi there,

There are many good people in this forum who would be willing to help you to success.

But I can't flash any other roms using these instructions.

Not sure that I understand your statement. Are you using this instruction to flash a rom rather than VEGAn GingerEd ?

The procedure I've seen here don't make sense.

If the procedure does not make sense, you should never never never try it. I wouldn't. That is the reason why, after reading and reading several times about a Rom, I would try to write my own, double check and triple check, then print it out. Then I would mark each step on the print out after completion to ensure that I have not missed a step.

It looks like I am controlling the Gtab from my PC. All the APX drivers stuff is throwing me off. My PC recognizes the tablet when attached & there is no APX device in the control panel with an exclamation point. There is an nvidea device listed as a hard drive.

Are you referring to post #28 ? it was condensed from the original procedure from a well known developer. Post #28 referenced to the developer's post [STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers. I'd suggest trying to understand the instruction before attempting. A great many users found the procedure most valuable.

If you are referring to post #28, then the answer is yes, you are controlling the tablet from your PC and you are pushing the stock image back to your tablet.

Not sure if I could help you, perhaps others who are more experienced can.

Good luck,

Dave,

MobyWan

May 21, 2011
HELP!
I have installed Vegan Tab Gingerbread about a week ago. Ever since I installed it, it has taken longer and longer to boot up. (currently over 90 seconds)
What options other than reinstall everything do i have?
Thanks

noto45

May 27, 2011
i followed every step to the letter and all I get when I reboot is the veiw sonic screen with the birds???

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
i followed every step to the letter and all I get when I reboot is the veiw sonic screen with the birds???

Check out post #7. Also recommend to read thru the whole thread.

Dave

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Check out post #7. Also recommend to read thru the whole thread.

Dave
Dave, I have to tell you that I tried VEGAn Ginger on Friday, and wow is it great. Really, really loved it.

I know what noto45 is talking about...had the same issue. I have discovered over and over and over again that I when I get stuck booting, the gTab needs data cleared (data, not cache/Dalvik cache). It has solved my flashing/booting problems 100% of the time. :)

Alas, some silly guy at slatedroid posted a 4.0 alpha of the HC port, and I couldn't help myself. So paused my testing of VEGAn, and jumped back to BoS (Bottle of Smoke). I have to say all the things I need (mainly, Gmail, video playback, and a few other diversions) are working...wifi is solid...no more soft reboots. I almost wish it didn't work so well, so I could play with VEGAn some more. Probably I'll work on a CWM full backup first, and then do some more VEGAn!

Hope you're doing well.

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Dave, I have to tell you that I tried VEGAn Ginger on Friday, and wow is it great. Really, really loved it.

I know what noto45 is talking about...had the same issue. I have discovered over and over and over again that I when I get stuck booting, the gTab needs data cleared (data, not cache/Dalvik cache). It has solved my flashing/booting problems 100% of the time. :) . . .

Hello Matt, firstly, I am most glad that you took the . . . DEED . . . It is natural for you. You would enjoy it and others would most benefit from you. Of course Peter and Fuganater are great too.

Agreed with you 110% about the benefit of data wipe. Therefore, I always used Calkulin's Format_all.zip which clears all (data and sd partitions) prior to flashing another rom. And I did quite a few. On top of that, there are the re-partitioning 2048/0 and the clearing Dalvik cache. The method worked well for me.

I do indeed see enough of complaints here and at other forums that this or that or everything is not working, and/or soft-bricking, etc . . .Generally, the developers, as much as they are confident about their works, always warned people about accepting the risk of bricking their tablet. That often made me wonder whether it was users' errors or it was the questionable robustness of the gtab's hardware, software and kernel.

Therefore, sometimes, it is not easy to help someone since there was never enough info to determine the right course.

. . . Alas, some silly guy at slatedroid posted a 4.0 alpha of the HC port, and I couldn't help myself. So paused my testing of VEGAn, and jumped back to BoS (Bottle of Smoke). I have to say all the things I need (mainly, Gmail, video playback, and a few other diversions) are working...wifi is solid...no more soft reboots. I almost wish it didn't work so well, so I could play with VEGAn some more. Probably I'll work on a CWM full backup first, and then do some more VEGAn!
Hope you're doing well.
-Matt

Since you are already at 1.2 base with HC, I'd suggest a test drive of Beastly before going to any 1.1 base. The Beastly rom is based on 1.2 bootloader and Froyo. I was impressed with VEGAn. However, Beastly is right up there. Since I am leaning more toward iDevices, I have not done much with the gtab, except using it for an alarm clock (only if I could figure out adding the weather info to it).

Overall, we are doing fine, thank you. The summer is here in SC, and there are lots of fishes to catch. :)
Best to you and yours,

Dave,

P.S. By the way, 'Movie Stream.apk' is a wonderful app that search and stream movies of the net.

Last edited:

psiyiu

Jun 8, 2011
Tried a few times using the original instructions.

Cannot get pass Step 2.

Holding the power and vol+ buttons - kept giving a bad screen. If usb is connected to PC tablet toggles on-and-off with the connection "gong" sound.

Have to resort to nvflashing it to start over. Repeated results...

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Tried a few times using the original instructions.

Cannot get pass Step 2.

Holding the power and vol+ buttons - kept giving a bad screen. If usb is connected to PC tablet toggles on-and-off with the connection "gong" sound.

Have to resort to nvflashing it to start over. Repeated results...

Hi there, I wanted to help but I cannot understand your questions !

Step 2 said : 2> If ClockWorkMod v0.8 was not installed, connect the tablet to PC, copy the recovery folder and update.zip (see download links) to the root of the internal sdcard. When done, power off then push and hold 'volume up' and 'power' buttons until a small text appears on the top right corner. Release both buttons. CWM will install.

And you said: Holding the power and vol+ buttons - kept giving a bad screen.
Question: Please explain 'kept giving a bad screen' ?

And you said: If usb is connected to PC tablet toggles on-and-off with the connection "gong" sound.
Question: If there is one 'gong' sound, the PC recognizes a device being connected. On the tablet, you select activating usb connection, and the PC can see the internal sd card. Did you activate the usb connection on the tablet ? And what do you mean by saying 'toggles on-and-off ?

And you said: Have to resort to nvflashing it to start over.
Question: Have you done that ? Why ? nvflashing is required when there is a need to recover or switching from different loader. If you indeed was able to nvflash, you should not have any problem connecting your tablet to a PC and doing step 2. Again, why ?

And you said: Repeated results
Question: What does this mean ?

Dave,

Patmnet

Jun 8, 2011
I did all the steps from the first post on my G Tablet and everything seems to be working fine except the market. Do I have to do a market fix to get it to work? When I open the market it asks me for a login and p/w. I enter my gmail account info and it says "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care." I am connected to Wifi and have a good signal. Anyone? I appreciate any help! Thank you Mydave for posting such a helpful guide!

Edit: After I added another account in "accounts", I was able to add my gmail account. I'm not sure if I just had to add my gmail account to the tablet first and adding the other email account had nothing to do with it. But when I opened the market, it didn't ask me for a login and it worked fine.

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hello Patmnet, it appeared that all is well for you, is it not ?
It has been a while, and I vaguely remember that after it boots up into VEGAn for the first time, we should wait for a bit then reboot. After rebooting, it will show the screen lock for the first time, then we set up wifi. After that the market will show up and we should be able to add gmail account.

Dave

Patmnet

Jun 8, 2011
Hi Dave,

Thanks for helping! The market is working fine now except I think there's something going on with my Wifi. I keep having to disable and enable the Wifi due to lost connection (can't go on internet or search market or download apps, etc.). Any idea how to fix this Wifi issue? I am at work now and this is happening. I'm not sure yet if it happens at home.

Pat

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Pat, during the time I was using this rom, I had it wireless connected a D-Link DGL-4500 with WPA2 encryption. The wifi connection was solid. In fact, I have not seen any post about wifi problem with this rom at several forums that I frequented.

What you may want to do is downloading the latest Pershoot kernel at Droid Basement. The file that you want is boot-cm_2632.41_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-060311.zip
Flash with CWM with no data wipe, no reset.

Let us know.

Dave

http://droidbasement.com/gtab/kernels/2632/41/boot-cm_2632.41_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-060311.zip