[Rom][Howto] VEGAn-TAB GingerEdition STABLE RC1 . . The most popular Rom for gTablet

Patmnet

Jun 8, 2011
Thanks. It's good to know about the new Pershoot kernel update. I think my wifi issue was related to poor wifi signal at work. It seems to work fine at home. Also, you said "during the time I was using this rom...". Is there a newer or better Rom I should try on the G Tablet?

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hello Pat, this VEGAn GingerEdition appealed to me for its elegance, functionality, stability and speed. Therefore, if I am to use the gtab for daily work and entertainment, this would be the one. It is not to say that other rom's are not good. Each has something that appeals to a number of users. Even the currently crippled HC roms do have many followers. Among the 1.2 base bootloader, the Beastly stands out for the same elegance, functionality, stability and speed. Regardless of what rom that we try, the android OS lacks the robustness and commonality. Perhaps the later one is a good thing, which provides a path away from the monopoly of Apple iOS.

Anyway, hope that this rom and the gtab would give you much enjoyment for the times to come.

Dave,

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
Dave,

I currently am running the CM7 latest stable build as my daily driver. I use a bt keyboard when I need to take meeting notes at work. I get lots of "geek" comments LOL as I am one of the tech junkies at work. Anyway back to the reason for the post. What was your comparison between the VGE and CM7? I am getting that itch to try another ROM just to run something new for awhile. IYO what would be a good daily driver in the 1.2 base ROM's? Do you think the same stability is there in the BOS ROM's? Is it better to ask that same question of the 1.2 base ROM's as a group. I am trying to keep up with the comments on the newer base ROM's but see allot of comments about one issue or another with fc this or that. Working average of 10.5 to 11 hour days, I don't get as much time to experiment as I would like. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Dan,

I understand the 'itch' to try something new, especially in your case (being a tech junky at work). A great thing with android is the ability to quickly switch from one rom to another using cwm's nanoid backup & restore.

The other day, during a visit to our daughter, I had this VGE installed on one, and CM7 on another gtab. My daughter chose the latter one. To me, both are great in functionality and stability. You made a fine choice with CM7. As for the 1.2 base rom's, I would choose either Brilliant Corners or Beastly. The latter one is a rare beauty and I would choose it any day of the week. It was based on Froyo and was created by a great group of developers from NI Adam. If you have a chance to search for info about NI Adam, you probably would be impressed.

The HC/BOS series made a fine debut, perhaps due to the reputation of its developer(s). I'd like to see its maturity and success. The likelihood is uncertain, however. There are many technical problems without the help from the manufacturers, and times. Newer tablets are being released and coming. People would soon give up and jump to something better and cheaper, unless the HC/BOS reaches its goal soon. The other day, I was at the right place and time to grab an 64 GB iPad for $399. After spending a few days with it, and jailbreaking it, I realized the reason for its success and popularity. Beside of having a great amount of available applications and a solid operating system, it is a perfect machine. It just simply works, and it is, as many have said, impossible to brick. Needless to say, if one is serious about having a tablet for work and entertainment, the iPad is the way to go.

I know my opinion is not popular among the android enthusiasts, so I will take all criticism with grace, lol :)

Dave,

P.S. Just tumbled across a thread about getting GPS to work on Beasty rom http://tabletroms.com/forums/showthread.php?869-How-to-get-GPS-to-work.

Last edited:

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply and feed back. I hope that maybe the Apple Gods will smile at me and drop an iPad in my lap as a gift (Dreaming I know but hey...) I hope that maybe one day the tablets can get to the point where I can drop UBUNTU on one. I have a "Linux Box" that I mess with and always hinge on switching to that desk top as my daily driver at home. I will do some research on the NI Adam. If they are as impressive as the CM boys then It will be worth the work to make the switch. It may be costly though as I would have to send Momma on a day trip with her friends so that I will have the time as well as the peace and quiet to do the switch with out the interupption that could get me out of step. I am still working on my plan to learn as much on developement as I can, but the work hours make it difficult at best. Have a great day.

YachtsmanAT

Dec 28, 2010
Hi Dave,

Just installed VeganGE and having a problem with wifi. Went through the entire install procedure (steps 1 thru 17) twice and also installed "boot-cm_2632.39_gb-oc-uv-xtra-vfp_fp-042811.zip" but problem persists. Was using TNT Lite 4.4 worked well but was enticed by the enhanced feaures of Gingerbread. Can you suggest a fix?

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hi there Yachtsman, I have no idea why you would have wifi problem ? But what kind of problem was it ? Cannot connect ? Dropped signal ?
After it booted up the first time, did you reboot it then try connect ? Give us more info.

In addition, check out post #75. Pershoot has a newer kernel. Download it and flash. Flash straight up, no data wipe or reset.

Dave

Nova

Mar 30, 2011
This is excellent. It runs very fast, the icon placement customization is really fantastic.
Thank you for posting this.

stoll04

Jun 12, 2011
I've followed the instructions, but am stuck at the 'ViewSonic 3 Birds' title page. I've let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

I've retried a couple times, with no success.

Any tips/help?

Thanks, J

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
I've followed the instructions, but am stuck at the 'ViewSonic 3 Birds' title page. I've let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

I've retried a couple times, with no success.

Any tips/help?

Thanks, J

Unfortunately, you had soft-bricked the tablet. Please do data wipe & factory reset + wipe dalvik cache + fix permission then reboot. If that does not work, consider posts # 6 and #7.
Let us know.

Best,
Dave,

Last edited:

n4mrc

Jul 28, 2011
First, thanks for the install instructions!

Searched the forum but could not find the answer to this one.

I am installing GingerEdition for a guy who lives 200 miles away. I need to remove my Google account. I tried a factory reset but it does nothing detectable (wifi connection, Google account, etc are still there). The only way I have found so far is to reinstall the ROM. That's not terribly practical since the person 200 miles away might get a bit lost if he has to pick up right after the ROM install. Anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Rags

May 22, 2011
n4mrc, did you try going into the Settings then drilling into the Google app? I seem to recall having to clear data with the stock ROM in order to get the Market working. I imagine that functionality is consistent across ROMs. I can check when I get home and have the GTab in my hands...

n4mrc

Jul 28, 2011
n4mrc, did you try going into the Settings then drilling into the Google app? I seem to recall having to clear data with the stock ROM in order to get the Market working. I imagine that functionality is consistent across ROMs. I can check when I get home and have the GTab in my hands...

A guy on another forum said to use the factory data wipe in clockworkmod, which worked, which brings me to another question. When you first boot up (and also after the data wipe) you go straight into the setup wizard. If you try to enter your Google account it won;t work because you don't have a WiFi conenction, but I could not find a way to setup a WiFi connection from the setup wizard. I had to skip the add account, complete the rest of the wizard, then setup a WiFi connection, open the Market, and then add my Google account. It seems that the setup wizard is rather pointless since there appears to be no way to actually use it to enter your Google account. The only other thing it really does of any value is the time/date/timezone stuff, which I think I could figure out without too much trouble.

Am I missing something or is this just the way GE works?