[ROM] Jelly Bean Stock Lite for MID8127 -- Rooted + Gapps

leunam12

May 28, 2012
I have 258 MB data partition. I had to uninstall Jelly Bean because it bricked the tablet really bad and it took me a long time to unbrick it. It started working very slow and unresponsive, it wouldn't go past the first registration process where you setup your google account, the keyboard was stopping all the time. Android.process.acore was stopping all the time. I coulnd't go to settings to turn on debugging mode. Finally it started rebooting and then it got stuck in the android logo and would not boot. I managed to get it into fastboot mode by holding power and volume -.

In fastboot I tried to flash a backup from my pc, it flashed ok but it would not boot. Finally I could flash a recovery image and boot it from fastboot and it worked. From recovery I formatted the partitions and flashed ICS and gapps and now it is working fine, but every once in a while it asks me for the registration number. Anyway, thanks for your hard work.

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012
Ok, so mp827 and coby 8127 don't have the same partition layout... My bad, sorry for the inconvenient.

I've build a lite version again, fitting on system partition only. I'll upload it tonight.

vinay_rb

Apr 4, 2012
Hi Kiiv,

My 8127 is on official JellyBean update and looking for some information on rooting, CWM and gapps. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers.

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012
Hi vinay_rb,

if you just want to install the Play Store, you can follow the instruction on this post : http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-1-1-update-7022-root-gapps-4.html#post239365
You don't need CWM or root to do this.
Keep in mind that this solution doesn't fix the compatibility issues on the Play Store.

If you want to go further and fix all compatibility issues, you'll have to flash a whole ROM via CWM.
Tell me if you want to go this way.

I've forgotten to upload the ROM last night. No promise but I'll try to do that tonight if I have the time... :s

laflaf3d

Oct 3, 2012
Hi Kiiv and company!

I have a MP827 (MID8127) and I want to upgrade it to jelly bean. So I am a newbie with Android (every one have a begining...) and I need some help.

Can you explain step by step how to use you rom?

I search on the net what is exactly CWM (Clockwordmode) but I don't understand if it's really a software or an apps because each time I try to download it, I found an ".img" file. And on the clockwordmod website, I don't see my MID8127 in the rom manager list.

Moreover, there is a really strange stuff with me with 4share. I can't find a "download" button to download free. Every time it tell me to use premium account or download 4Sync... I searched, I wait... no download button!

kind regards

vinay_rb

Apr 4, 2012
Hi Kiiv,

Appreciate the prompt response.

I have flashed the full rom "JB_V0.6_By_Kiiv_&_SaTaNiiK.zip" using CWM but I couldn't find any Google apps. Am doing something wrong?

Copied JB_V0.6_By_Kiiv_&_SaTaNiiK.zip to External SDCard
Reboot in Fastboot mode by pressing Power & down arrow key
Execute Fastboot boot Cwm6_8127.img
Backup taken for 03rd Oct. 2012
Install zip from sdcard - selected JB_V0.6_By_Kiiv_&_SaTaNiiK.zip
Install completed successfully
Reboot System

vinay_rb

Apr 4, 2012
Hi laflaf3d,

Check my post above, those are the steps to install CWM, take a backup and flash the image provided by Kiiv which get your MP827 upgraded to Jelly bean. Most of us have received an official update by registering with the Coby Germany website (I am not sure if this method is still working).

What you need before you execute the steps is:
USB Driver - I am using "MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0.exe" as USB drivers for Coby and they work flawlessly! Search the file on this forum/Google, download and install. If you don't find it then let me know and I will upload it for you.
Android SDK - Again search the forum/Google for Android SDK. For all rooting, flashing etc. you will need ADB & Fastboot utilities. So download the SDK and install.
Running Fastboot - Go to the folder where you have installed Android SDK and you should find the Fastboot executable. These executable runs from command prompt.
What is CWM? - ClockWorkMod is tool/utility which we use to flash new ROMS, updates, backup/restore etc.

Regarding the 4Share download issue, are you accessing this from your tablet or laptop?

I will be glad to help if you need more information.

Cheers,
Vinay

Last edited:

vinay_rb

Apr 4, 2012

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012
Yep, I'm currently uploading a new one.

Two versions :
- Lite for those with small data partition like Kyros 8127
- Full for those with big data partition like MP827

iambic

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks everyone for all the great work. I've got a 'Quest' MID8127 that I picked up here in the UAE. For all intents and purposes it appears to be the same as the Coby MID8127, same sized partitions etc. and I had no problems getting the German sourced 4.0.3 working on it. However, I'm having problems with the 'lite' version of Jellybean. I can boot up, but the setup app crashes every time it runs and I can't escape out of it. A reset will again let me choose a wifi network and connect but any step after that tells me that Setup has unfortunately stopped and then it automatically restarts. I have tried to set up in a number of languages, but the same thing happens every time.

Then I wondered if I had a corrupted download so redownloaded the 'lite' version, but the problem persists.

Any ideas anyone?

onlydave

Oct 16, 2012
Kiiv,

For a temporary registration nag fix on my 1125 I disabled update service on startup using System Tuner v2.5.1

Although not a fix it was so easy I quite looking for a permanent solution.

System Tuner - Startups - Android System - Services - untick "service.update.UpdateService"

Kiiv

Jun 13, 2012
Thanks for the tip onlydave ! Unfortunately I don't have the tablet anymore... My usb port was broken so I've returned the tablet and get my money back. I'll probably make the swith to the Nexus 7 (waiting for the 32Gb model).
So I'll not be able to support correctly the ROM anymore. I'm staying around if you have question though !

@yarik1111 : don't speak russian, sorry...