[ROM] joenilan Ideos S7 Froyo Stable - (Android 2.2.2)

kevinchg

Aug 14, 2011
hey Joe.
could you help me to verify CIFS works ?
I cannot work it out, even I update your latest clean ROM,
and install CIFS manager only on clean system , it still not work,
this looks like the lastest functional lack of this rom..

joenilan

Feb 4, 2011
what do you use to format ext4?

Why don't you check for Ext2 (easeus doesn't support ext4) and then format that as EXT4 - or format the 2nd primary partition as EXT4 for us.

Is there another free app to do this?

@Mrkrad, i've also responded to your comment on my website.

i used gparted to format to ext4, and as for easeus that doesn't sound right, i've used that program so many times and it's full featured it's gotta support ext4, i'm on linux right now so i can't take a look, i'll edit back later when i get a chance, and in tri_zet's thread he mentions Factory Resetting (from inside my rom) Menu>Settings>Privacy>Factory Reset, formats your ext2 to ext4 for you, try that if other ways fail.

NOTE: Updating Installation instructions for A2sd, in all my uploading, editing, and writing, i realized, ext4 is not needed for the A2SD version.

so @Cocobean, you can try upgrading to the Data2emmc version, or running Cache Cleaner or rebooting to ClockworkMod and Wiping Cache (not Dalvik) to see if that clears it up for you a bit.

detriod

Apr 20, 2011
hi Joenilan :D wanted to ask, if i am version 1.2.1 stable, do i need to wiped cache after install the 1.3 version ? or just directly upgrade can already ?

joenilan

Feb 4, 2011
hi Joenilan :D wanted to ask, if i am version 1.2.1 stable, do i need to wiped cache after install the 1.3 version ? or just directly upgrade can already ?

WIPE & FORMAT EVERYTHING! if your using the a2sd version, you can probably just install over top 1.2.1,

A2SD Version is based off my 1.2.1 as where 1.3 Data2emmc is based off a totally different rom (S7 Slim)

i suggest everyone that uses a2sd to convert to Data2emmc... you get more space without your internal filling up and it's viewable in Menu>Settings>Sd Card & Tablet Storage

Also Note: I'm unsuccessful gettings cifs to work, if someone does please let me know for sure if its working correctly, i've never used it before so that doesn't help much either, i will still look into it, i know i'm using tri_zet's boot.img so that means i'm also using his custom compiled kernel. Otherwise my ext4 wouldn't mount...

so back to the drawing board, also tried with cifs.ko in /system/lib/modules and insmod doesn't see the file... so no clue whats wrong there, especially since again using tri_zet's boot.img

hopefully i get it working in my version soon.

mrkrad

Jul 21, 2011
So does the data2emmc 2GB come with APPS2SD so we can enjoy both ?

something like:
FAT32 500meg (primary)
EXT2 (2GB) (primary) - for data2emmc
EXT2 (5GB) (primary) - for apps2SD

then let your data2emmc rom reset the 2GB partition to EXT4 then let apps2sd work on the 5GB?

I think it's getting so complex i might give it a shot and document. Right now i think it's very important we handle formatting ext4 in the o/s - the free tools don't support EXT4 and booting to a live usb stick is a lot of PITA :) but i'll give it a shot

joenilan

Feb 4, 2011
So does the data2emmc 2GB come with APPS2SD so we can enjoy both ?

something like:
FAT32 500meg (primary)
EXT2 (2GB) (primary) - for data2emmc
EXT2 (5GB) (primary) - for apps2SD

then let your data2emmc rom reset the 2GB partition to EXT4 then let apps2sd work on the 5GB?

I think it's getting so complex i might give it a shot and document. Right now i think it's very important we handle formatting ext4 in the o/s - the free tools don't support EXT4 and booting to a live usb stick is a lot of PITA :) but i'll give it a shot

check your pm

mrkrad

Jul 21, 2011
Hi i'm afraid i may need a start from here: walk through install.

After installation i must say like tri-zet - the resistive screen is very much non-responsive. I am not sure if the use of internal sd (versus the old APPS2SD) is better. screen seems less responsive and triggers randomly - if i had to guess - capacitive screen rom on resistive screen? your old kernel using dolphin hd running browsermark.

setcpu - conservation- all the settings defaulted to -1 (had to hand key them from the older kernel unit - not sure why) - got them normalized- did a few reboots to make sure everything was the same:

ipad2 browsermark: 63576
hp touchpad overclocked to 1.7ghz: 57271
old apps2sd froyofusion (seemingly more responsive to keyboard): 47406
new data2 (Ext4) (seems keyboard laggy, laggy in general) : 22190

I'm going to try the other rom - the apps2sd and start clean from eclair 2.1u1 and go all the way the same to make sure its not the hardware itself but man 50% slower in browsermark - that is harsh! but i will try the new version with apps2sd and report on what i get.

browsermark isn't the best benchmark.. Any advice?

joenilan

Feb 4, 2011
after fresh flash on my 1.3 when i first started, market was slow, rom was laggy, etc etc, after syncing everything seemed to settle down, mine is running around the same as 1.2.1 with a quadrant of between 700 - 800 with A2sd and Data2emmc, also i've tried browser benchmark to replicate what you did my score came out to 41681, after a fresh flash try just getting everything synced and a few restarts and light usage and see if it settles down. i can take video of mine if you would like to see the speed, i get snags here and there when say turning on something like wifi from the settings menu.

dgnyberg

Mar 22, 2011
Hey Joe, I guess you're feeling better! MAN, you are BACK with a vengeance!! Keep it up!
Thanks for all your efforts! Makes our systems run better. I'd say that you should be
working for Huawei, but you care way more than they do!!!

Thanks again for all the work!!

Cocobean

May 5, 2011
All good did batch link..with link2sd and back to 102mb.
Apparently didn't link properly when backed up with titanium.
All too sweet now.....fast..
Thanks again..

Sent from my IDEOS S7 using Android Tablet Forum

coufus

Aug 14, 2011
Hello joeafter upgrading, will my unit will be still be on sim lock or open unit?im just newbie, still exploring android systemmine:s7firmware version 2.1-upgrade1baseband version 6285kernel version 2.6.29-s7build number S7V100R001C60B012

joenilan

Feb 4, 2011
Hello joeafter upgrading, will my unit will be still be on sim lock or open unit?im just newbie, still exploring android systemmine:s7firmware version 2.1-upgrade1baseband version 6285kernel version 2.6.29-s7build number S7V100R001C60B012

i think if you upgrade with the official norwegian 2.2.2 it was reported that your sim will be unlocked, then you flash clockwork mod and you can flash any rom available and use any sim.

mrkrad

Jul 21, 2011
hmm wonder if its something to do with the use of the sd card - mine shows
internal SD CARD 1.00GB available 779MB -
sd card -> unavailable
internal tablet storage -> 6.35GB (available 5.80gb)
[no sd card inserted]
total memory 428,425,216 bytes
free memory 306,278,400 bytes (71%)
used memory: 122,937,344 bytes (29%)

if we have 256 meg of ram, 128 meg of swap and 32 meg of cache(??not sure what this is??) that would equal about 428,425,216 bytes - so perhaps i'm swapping hard.

i wonder how much slower the internal SD is versus internal rom ??

is there an task manager app that shows page file activity and such?

what does yours show - i'm wondering if i should start over and format that partition smaller as you warned. perhaps the side effect

kevinchg

Aug 14, 2011
Dear Joe,
For CIFS problem, I've try again, Clean everything as you mentioned and mod to latest ROM with Data2Ext4 version,
Clean install cifs manager from market, but unfortunately , no luck again, it still gets fail to connect to network share,
my network share is Windows 7 Folder on another PC,

Could any body help me to try it as well , 'cause I'm afraid I'm the only one "very lucky" man to be incompatiable with this ROM,

Hardware: Ideos S7 with Ideos S7 Froyo v1.3-EXT4 Stable installed
Software : cifs manager 1.5a from Market
Share network server : Windows 7 Pro
Testing Result : Fail with notification "No Such Deevice"

Good Day to you

BTW, any one who want to know how to install and set cifs manager ,
you can link to following instruction by tri_zet

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-ideos-s7-technical/15812-rom-tri_zet-ideos_s7-slim-mod-9.html#post120129

Also update:
Don't you feel Data2Ext4 version runs slower than previous one ? (1.3 w/o Data2Ext4)
After I flash the rom and install all APPs, also reboot several times,
play it for hours, but still feel a difference from previous, it's much slower when loading apps, close app, setting , screen response... ,
so , I decide to roll back to previous one whenever I don't have any space issue currently...
what I really only concern is cifs at present, the last missing piece of the world..

Last Update 8/15 :(...
Even I use
tri_zet's S7 Slim Rom on S7 classic , without any modification, I also cannot get it works no matter with or without cifs.ko in modules folder, it looks like kernal compatibility issue with hardware,
besides this , other parts all functions well.

For your reference and thanks,
also, it do slower a lot than App2SD version (support Ext4), ??:confused:

Last edited: