[ROM] Karbonn Custom ST8 by fuser-invent

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
No problem, good to know wiping system doesn't do any harm. I just figure its best to go with the simplest approach so there is less room to mess something up. Hope you both like the ROM!

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Hi fuser,
I have flashed your custom ROM 1.3. Working smoothly. Only glitch is wifi. I have read your post on XDA regarding the wifi issue. But i would like to say my friend flashed your karbonn_st8_stock_plus_1.2 and in this ROM wifi used to work in sleep. He said he could download while the tab goes to sleep. Now we both have custom ROM 1.3 and wifi is not working. Even some one on XDA reported this factor. Hope this helps you to zero on the issue. Rest is super so far so good. That notification button is working fine when touched the way you told me.

Thanks for all the help.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Glad you are liking it minus the wifi thing. I've been told by some developer friends that it is not possible that it worked on the stock ROM but I don't have your tablet so I can't test it myself but as far as I know there were no changes between stock+ and custom that would effect the wifi like that. There really isn't anything I can do. If you want wifi on at the cost of the battery you can download the Wake Lock - Powermanager app.

On the other tablets I work on people also said that it worked fine on the stock ROM but some of my team and I just tested a bunch of versions of stock and custom firmware on different tablets and not a single stock ROM allowed wifi to stay awake during sleep even though there were multiple claims to the contrary. A few of Christian Troy's ROM's did but they he built a wake lock hack and module into his kernel.

prashanthmf

Mar 16, 2013
Its great ROM..... Thanks so much Fuser for all your effort.. you are a life saver for Karbonn ST8 and ST10 owners.i flashed it on my ST8 its working awsome...

No need to flash TWRP recovery... jst if we put Recovery.img in SD card.... then Recovery will run from there... :)

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Its great ROM..... Thanks so much Fuser for all your effort.. you are a life saver for Karbonn ST8 and ST10 owners.i flashed it on my ST8 its working awsome...

No need to flash TWRP recovery... jst if we put Recovery.img in SD card.... then Recovery will run from there... :)

Thank you SOOOO much for reporting on TWRP, I've been asking about that for weeks! That means I might be able to help some people unbrick devices, so that is huge. That's also really good news for everyone else because then they don't have to flash over their recovery partition.

EDIT: One other question, did you use Ozadroid's TWRP recovery.img or mine to boot off the external SD card?

Last edited:

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Thank you SOOOO much for reporting on TWRP, I've been asking about that for weeks! That means I might be able to help some people unbrick devices, so that is huge. That's also really good news for everyone else because then they don't have to flash over their recovery partition.

EDIT: One other question, did you use Ozadroid's TWRP recovery.img or mine to boot off the external SD card?

Wow that would be cool. In that i need to know how to flash the stock recovery back now ? And fuser where is your version ? I can't find it?:confused:

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
This is all untested and completely experimental because I don't have this tablet to test on myself. So everything you do, you are doing at your own risk. There is almost no risk of trying the method where you place the file on the external SD card and try and boot off of it. There is more risk in actually flashing the recovery.img.

Here is a link to the TWRP test. - What I want to know is if someone has the stock recovery and has not flashed TWRP over it, can they put the file in this zip on their SD card, hold down the power and vol- buttons and boot into TWRP without flashing it.

Here is a link to the Stock Recovery test. - This is for if you have flashed TWRP and you overwrote the stock recovery. First just take the recovery.img in the zip file and put it on the external SD card, then try and boot into the stock recovery by holding down the power and vol- buttons. Let me know if that works or not. If it doesn't work then don't do anything else. If it does work and you get into the stock recovery instead of TWRP then you can remove the recovery.img from the SD card so that you can boot back into TWRP and then you can try flashing the zip file to replace TWRP with the stock recovery image.

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
karbonn_ST8_factoryreset.zip

If you did something wrong, like flash TWRP to your boot.img partition instead of your recovery partition or flashed a ROM that wasn't made for your tablet and now have a boot loop, then this zip might help. I replaces the boot / bootloader / recovery partitions with the official stock ones from the ROM dumps I was sent. You need to flash this zip from TWRP if you are going to use it.

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Here is a link to the Stock Recovery test. - This is for if you have flashed TWRP and you overwrote the stock recovery. First just take the recovery.img in the zip file and put it on the external SD card, then try and boot into the stock recovery by holding down the power and vol- buttons. Let me know if that works or not. If it doesn't work then don't do anything else. If it does work and you get into the stock recovery instead of TWRP then you can remove the recovery.img from the SD card so that you can boot back into TWRP and then you can try flashing the zip file to replace TWRP with the stock recovery image.

Hhmm ok i have tested the Stock Recovery Test and put the Recovery.img file on to my SD Card. It works flawlessly and boot's the stock recovery instead of TWRP. I have just booted into Stock recovery and rebooted same. What else u want me to test?

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
If you want to, you could flash the karbonn_ST8_factoryreset.zip, it's been confirmed to be working and safe to flash, then extract the recovery.img from ozadroid's newest version of TWRP, place it on the external SD card and see if it boots into TWRP. If it doesn't, try re-naming it to "uImage_recovery" and then try booting again. The karbonn_ST8_factoryreset.zip I just posted will re-flash the partitions including the stock recovery. So for soft bricked tablets, a user can put the TWRP image on their tablet and then flash the karbonn_ST8_factoryreset.zip, then flash one of my firmware packages.

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Why to factory reset when i have different version of TWRP flashed on to my recovery partition. I have TWRP 2.4.1.0 so i can test the lastest version by placing the recovery.img of TWRP 2.4.4.0 on to the SD Card? BTW i already tried with the name recovery.img. Wait as i type i am trying with "uImage_recovery" name now.

Or is it necessary to have the stock recovery to test this out ?

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Ok tested the latest extracted img of TWRP 2.4.4.0 by ozadroid's with both names "recovery.img" and "uImage_recovery.img" and it did not worked. But your stock recovery one worked. So it is necessary to factory rest it?

fuser

Developer
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for testing it out. I don't think it should be necessary to have the stock recovery installed but maybe it is. Can you do that? It's pretty simple to flash the stock recovery, test and then flash TWRP back.

If that doesn't work then report back and I will unpackage his TWRP recovery.img' make the changes and post the new one here to test out. On the last version I did, it allowed booting from the external SD card but I forgot to change the recovery.fstab, so I need to fix that. I'm going to try two different versions, one the way that Christian Troy has it set up and one where I just unpackage and repackage it.

Saurabh_Joshi

Mar 3, 2013
Yes i will do it if you can provide flashable zip of stock recovery only via TWRP. I don't want to tinker with boot and bootloader.