[ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0 Pre-Rooted

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Installing the this rom now and would have to say, this rom along with CWR is a great milestone for the Nookcolor. What I mean by that is, once rooted the first time and with CWR installed, there will be no more auto-nooters needed, the need to work with sd cards to flash and root your device. We have entered the realm of all other great android devices in where, developer teams and coders will account for every update, stock kernel for us from here on out.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I am curious about the real-world advantage of running 1.1 for root users. I have 1.0.1 rooted, with 1.1ghz kernel, and frankly it's doing everything I'm asking of it, with aplomb. In fact, I went out of my way to avoid this update (editing build.prop). Is there anything about 1.1 that might be appealing to someone like me? I don't do anything with the B&N stuff (don't buy their books, use their launcher or browser).

I'm usually all for the latest fixes etc, but I keep hearing about minor niggles for root users (like the lcd density thing above), and I think I'll hold out. Unless I'm missing something.

Well like all software updates, there are always small bug fixes and small performance tweaks made that are not listed in the release notes for a build. Again ultimately the choice is up to you. I know on the Nook side, there is an update every month.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Update: Successful restored using CWR back to 1.0.1: 1.0.0 > Sideload 1.0.1 BN update > Autonooter 2.12.25 > CWR > Restore from SD card to 1.0.1 rooted, 1.1 Ghz kernel-1100mhz-omap3630

Now to install the 1.1 rom. :)

I know, seems a little long winded since after autonooter and CWR install, I could go straight to 1.1 rom, but I want to keep all my settings, home screen, apps and etc. how I had them.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
New release out today:
[ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - xda-developers

Changelog

• 01/29/2011:
  • Fixed problems with Busybox (my error, didn't set proper permissions for xbin).
  • Included Youtube(for google sign in) and ROM Manager. Both in /system/app
  • Included the stock kernel from the actual update, forgot to include last time. (thanks rajendra82)
  • Included sqlite3 binary. Mostly to help me debug why xda app doesn't cache login credentials properly.
Download!
Download NookColor_v1.1.0_r2.zip
md5: 5b2e14170a319b2329e954f4ad89a422

@lifeisfun
Please update OP when you get a chance, thanks.

dcontrol @ xda: Hey awesome the current book reading button seems to work from anywhere now.

Now there is a bug fix not mentioned from B&N. :)

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
dcontrol @ xda: Hey awesome the current book reading button seems to work from anywhere now.

I'm not in the loop on this issue, but I'll note: by accident last night I pressed the open-book icon, and to my great surprise the last book read opened. This was from Zeam btw, where it was normally all but non-functional. I tried it again today, and it seems to work from several places "outside" of the stock B&N homescreen. Since I'm still running 1.0.1, I guess I'm not sure that the "fix" is 1.1.0 related.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I'm not in the loop on this issue, but I'll note: by accident last night I pressed the open-book icon, and to my great surprise the last book read opened. This was from Zeam btw, where it was normally all but non-functional. I tried it again today, and it seems to work from several places "outside" of the stock B&N homescreen. Since I'm still running 1.0.1, I guess I'm not sure that the "fix" is 1.1.0 related.

-Matt

Well it may an issue that not every NC owner experiences, similar to the pinch zoom in certain apps and wifi connectivity, which I never had problems with but other did. The book icon has not worked for me in or out of Zeam. We have a thread on this issues and I wasn't the only user with a non-working icon. You may be one of the lucky one on this particular issues. Nevertheless, I see on xda, others have this issues and are happy it now works with the 1.1 update. Anyway, whether it is or is not a due to the 1.1 update, I just hope it work for me. :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Well it may an issue that not every NC owner experiences, similar to the pinch zoom in certain apps and wifi connectivity, which I never had problems with but other did.
Well, I may have a bittersweet "ain't that true brother!!!!" follow-up: I've been playing with the 1.1GHz kernel...and noticed two things...(1) speedwise, I didn't see much improvement (Quadrant score of 1250, but that was with the juice turned all the way up) and more importantly, (2) the Nook felt like it was running a bit of a fever (of course I tuned SetCPU to keep the processor from raging). Today I stepped away for a while, and then discovered that it had gotten so warm that it shut itself off.

So I may be one of those with "sensitive" circuitry, that is, I might need a different clockspeed/voltage combination than others to get overclocking to work. Not a major problem really, since IT WILL get used mostly as an eReader by my wife. :mad: But the possibility that I'm "stuck with a stock kernel" is a little sad.

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Hmm the speed difference between 800mhz and 1.1Ghz is pretty noticeable IMO, but that's just me. I believe my first words after flashing the new kernels were "WOW". :) And on the heat issue, perhaps you need to check your SetCPU settings, my NC is no warmer than it was at stock. Did you do any messing around in the "advance tab", in particular the sampling rate? Are you running "on demand", conservative" or "performance"? And last, in the "main tab", do you have a min and max of 1.1Ghz? If so for benching, did you happen to leave your NC at those min and max for a prolonged period of time?

On topic: anyone running the 1.1rom and button savior: does your back and settings buttons work in button savior?

edit: nm, for non functioning softkeys or button savior, enable usb debugging, then reboot: nook color tools > development > check usb debugging

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Is it just my imagination or did 1.1 fix the wallpaper sizing issue we sometimes experience. It seems to work flawlessly now.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well hell, that was easy! :D

Button Savior still works, everything seems to be clickin along just fine...didn't even flinch on the OC kernel.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
I just realized that my youtube is not working since using 1.1.0 preroot. I read in this thread that someone else had that problem. Rebooting did jot work for me. Is there a fix?

Last edited:

RBRJimmy

Jan 31, 2011
If someone were to wipe their ROM and lose the Gapps user info, how would they go about getting that back in there? Definitely wasn't me, because I was too excited to see this here today (Thanks LifeisFun!)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
If someone were to wipe their ROM and lose the Gapps user info, how would they go about getting that back in there? Definitely wasn't me, because I was too excited to see this here today (Thanks LifeisFun!)

More info please, what do you mean? How did they wipe the rom? The NC has a hidden partition so almost impossible to wipe out everything. If running CWR, just restore from backup. If not, will have to do a factory reset to restore you NC back to 1.0.0