[ROM] Ultimate Droid 3.3.0 on Nook Color (Gingerbread 2.3)

jonros

Mar 15, 2011
so i used dalingrens' kernel and now I'm wondering how to get the stock kernel back. there is definitely a speed bump but not surprisingly, its at the price of battery life. the kernel I used steps from 800 to 1.2 (max@ 1.3) ; was under the impression not to use step_ cPU with CM based ROMS.
thanks in advance.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There should be a built in governor in the settings so you can choose a profile and a max cpu speed just like setcpu. That should help with battery life. I don't know which is the stock kernel so I can't tell you how to just flash back to it. Hopefully you made a backup before flashing the OC kernel though. In that case just restore to your backup.

JP

Shimmy

Feb 2, 2011
Anyone else having wifi issues with the custom roms? Every custom rom I've tried (CM, UD, Phiremod) I've had issues with wifi. It will show as connected, but there is actually no connection. This happens consistently. I have no problem with this when on rooted stock 1.2.

DeeMat

Oct 19, 2010
Anyone else having wifi issues with the custom roms? Every custom rom I've tried (CM, UD, Phiremod) I've had issues with wifi. It will show as connected, but there is actually no connection. This happens consistently. I have no problem with this when on rooted stock 1.2.

I used to have the same issues until I landed on UD 3.3.0. Wi-Fi is staying connected for me so that is the reason I have not looked for other ROMs at this time.

Shimmy

Feb 2, 2011
I used to have the same issues until I landed on UD 3.3.0. Wi-Fi is staying connected for me so that is the reason I have not looked for other ROMs at this time.

I've tried UD 3.3.0 several times and get the same thing every time. Guess I'll stick with stock 2.1 for awhile.

Dizmatic

Dec 17, 2010
Scrolling is slow for me with UD. Almost crawls when scrolling through apps. Seems slower than 2.1 was. Are there any tweaks I can do to improve this? Apps that launch appears to be snappy though.

bike2002

May 5, 2011
I've tried UD 3.3.0 several times and get the same thing every time. Guess I'll stick with stock 2.1 for awhile.

Shimmy, Can you run one of those wifi apps to locate the best wifi in your area?

wifi analyzer
wifinder
wifi manager

I personally find that the wifi manager app helpful.

Shimmy

Feb 2, 2011
Shimmy, Can you run one of those wifi apps to locate the best wifi in your area?

wifi analyzer
wifinder
wifi manager

I personally find that the wifi manager app helpful.
I've tried wifi analyzer before with my rooted Droid, and made adjustments to my router based on it. My nook uses the same wifi as it's usually the only place I use it. I have absolutely no problems connecting to it and staying connected with my Droid. With my nook running a custom rom like UD the wifi will stop after a few minutes, regardless of whether I am using it or not. It will often stop in the middle of a download and say no connection available. I haven't had any trouble with it since I switched back to rooted B&N 1.2.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Try using ADW EX Launcher. I know its a paid launcher but its the only one that I've found to actually scroll smooth as silk. Yes even in the app drawer.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
So, nobody know how to make a bootable SD card with UDrom?

The Ultimate Droid
http://www.udrom.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1300-simple-guide-to-install-ud-312-on-nook/page__view__findpost__p__10166 said:
Disclaimer: Installation of custom Rom's on any device can be difficult and can cause unforseen problems. Be careful. Follow instructions. Be creative in trouble shooting. Understand that there is no warranty to cover Rooting and Custom Rom device issues. The Nook is great... It is almost imposible to completely brick, but I have read post where people have claimed their devices bricked. I am sure that they just haven't read enough posts (which is likely why they got where they are to start with). What I am saying... The only one resposible for anything you do from this point forward is you. Leave this post if that scares you... otherwise Rom away...

This post is just my effort to make installing UD 3.1.2 onto a B&N Color Nook as painless as possible. I have suffered a lot trying many bits and pieces, from here and there, but very few really complete in any way. I hope that this makes things clearer.

I believe that there is nothing better than open source and computer freedom. The big problem has always been that open source usually requires a little know how. Nothing comes complete “out of the box” finished, when dealing with non-commercial ROMs and software.
If you think that there is something that should be added/ modified/ retracted from this post, please let me know and I will edit it, so that we can have a complete concise installation post.
I have not included all links, but have included the link to a post where I found great help when I installed CM7 on my Nook. Regarding CM7… it is a great piece of software, but then Ultimate Droid came out with a version for the Nook… well I use UD on my droid and love it… just as I love it on my Nook. CM7 had several issues, force close issues, etc… that I have yet to experience with UD 3.1.2. This is the quality that I have come to expect from UD. I don’t care who they give credit to or if they take credit for anything… it is open source, and that is the risk of open source…
Read this Definition of Open Source (note that there is nothing about giving credit…) The Open Source Definition | Open Source Initiative
After a lot of web searching, I think that CM and UD just need to hug and make-up. They are both great developers and contribute greatly to our world. This coin has two sides. While CM says that UD used their code as source, UD definitely runs faster and cleaner on my Droid and Nook… There is no need to install Google apps with UD (Not included with CM7… I am sure there is a reason… but don’t really care)

Anyways… enough of my rant and on to the important stuff…

A) Download the following software to your PC/MAC for formatting your XD card. This is the best one that I have found.
SD Formatter 3.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC:
- Format your XD card. This step is very important to correctly write the EXT4 compatible bootable SD recovery. (discussed later in post)

http://www.sdcard.or...rs/formatter_3/

B ) You will need “Image Writer for Windows”
- I found that the “0.1 (truckstop) release” worked the best. The newer version seemed to always have some problem.
- Paste the unzipped folder to you C:\ directory. Put the EXT4 compatible bootable SD recovery file in the same folder. This will help prevent issues. This software is originally intended for a Linux environment and thank you to the developer for making it compatible with Windows.
- Make sure that the chosen device is your XD card. It automatically selects the correct one, but you never know. Go to “my computer” in windows and check to see what Letter has been assigned.
- Choose the EXT4 compatible bootable SD recovery file from Image writer directory.
- Click the “write” button. This will take a few minutes to finish.
- Now you can copy the UD 3.1.2 zip to the flash drive. It is ready to boot your Nook into Clockwork Mod Recovery. (discussed more later in post)

https://launchpad.ne...riter/+download

C) Download the latest version of UD for Nook: The steps in this post should be fine even for next versions.
http://www.udrom.com...ble-nook-color/
- Read through the posts in this forum to see what issues you can expect. Most of them will be non-issues by following these installation steps. (worked for me and Nook is a Nook)

D) Follow the steps in this post for CM7 installation by: Muness (very well written)
http://forum.xda-dev...50&postcount=19

Just do not use the CM7, and Google Apps. Google apps are already included in UD 3.1.2. Everything else you can download from the market.

Basically Muness says the following:
1) Create an EXT4 partition on a spare XD card. This card can be any size. You just need to download the appropriate EXT4 compatible bootable SD recovery. As long as the one you use is smaller than your XD card you will be fine. I used the 2GB version for my 8GB XD card. Once you have finished installing UD 3.1.2 on your nook, you can reformat the card (reassigning correct size to it) with the SD Formatter 3.0. Then use the card for your Nook storage. http://legacyschool....kwork/0.1-ext4/
2) Once you have created the partition on the XD card, just paste the UD 3.1.2 zip file onto it.
3) Power off your Nook.
4) Insert the card into you Nook and reboot. It will automatically boot into Clockwork Mod 3.0.0.6
5) First make a backup of your existing system. NOTE: if you reformat the XD card after this process, backup the backup file to your computer. If you need it down the road you will have it.
6) Under mounts Format /system, /data, cache. Do not format /boot. This will cause you a whole world of pain and suffering.
7) Once you have finished step 6, select “install zip form sdcard” in main Clockwork menu. Then select the UD 3.1.2 file.
8) Once it has finished flashing UD 3.1.2, REMOVE the XD card,
9) Now go back to main clockwork menu and select “reboot system now”.
10) You will now boot into UD 3.1.2. Go through the set-up steps. (Log into Google account, etc…)
11) Before playing with your wonderful new system, long press the power button and choose to reboot system. This is an important step to getting the system to run correctly. I am not sure what it needs to do, but this seems to be an important step no matter what ROM you install.

Another note... These installation steps should work well for most Roms. I know that it works for UD 3.1.2, but the concepts are the same for all... for the most part.

I hope that this helps many people out there who struggle to figure this stuff out… especially the Newbies… of which, ultimately, I am also… only been doing this stuff, on user level, for the last six months. I am learning the fine art of software development and will hopefully contribute my part back to the wonderful world of Open Source.

SUBCAN

krautdog

Mar 24, 2011
Guys is something wrong with the UD site? Firefox won't connect after many tries and my connection is fine. Is there anywhere else I can download this rom?

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
I have it.but I won't host it, I'm on prepay broadband right now overseas. I think blackdroid has issues with paying for his bandwidth. Maybe he doesn't have enough people donating money.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

krautdog

Mar 24, 2011
Well Ok, thanks for reply. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out someday. I'm running clean CM7.0.3 right now but can't figure how to get it from eating battery like crazy, even while underclocking when not in use.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Well Ok, thanks for reply. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out someday. I'm running clean CM7.0.3 right now but can't figure how to get it from eating battery like crazy, even while underclocking when not in use.

Upgrade to CM7 7.1.0 RC1 to improve battery life (particularly while sleeping). You can also go with the alternative kernels or nightlies but if you want to keep it simple just use RC1.

JP