[ROM] Watery Kyros v1.2b Custom Firmware for MID7015

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
isyntax,
maybe your question should be in a new thread of it's own.
But since you asked here is my opinion:

First get a microsd card - you need it for backup/restore
Do root + clockworkmod (don't do google market yet)
then do a backup using clockworkmod
relabel the backup --- "Out of the Box" or something (it will be /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/some.date.thing)
Then play with AppsLib and toy with apps. take notes of the keeper apps (lot of junk out there)
Then get back to clockworkmod and try a restore.
Get comfortable with backups and restores before you go with Google Market or install Watery or HCV9 or Cyanogen etc.
Then have fearless fun :) --- Google Market, Watery etc
I have a dozen backups and move the older ones out to the PC.
I can "restore" to Coby, Watery, HCV9, Cyanogen, Coby+Google Market and more counting date stamp versions. Four months and I'm still in the test and try mode. I still haven't found the "perfect one" but I'm having fun.

gartral

Apr 7, 2011
I wish someone would sticky all the builds' threads into one for easy reference. But I just got my Kyros 7015a today and I installed the google apps right after rooting (stock still). About too try Watery, then then HCV9, then cyanogen and play round-robin-roulette till i find the perfect balance. I learned along time ago with My D1 that there just aint never a PERFECT rom.

isyntax

Apr 6, 2011
Thanks Ridgeland and Kerry. I think I'll get familiar with backup and restore thing first before the experiments like you said Ridge.. I can't wait for my Kyros .___. Thank you guys, keep up the good work.. I hope I learn fast and share skills too like you guys do.

@edit: Can I transfer back ups made in Kyros to PC? Like the original, pure Coby OS?

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Backups restore from the sdcard, they are just a folder with a few files. Move them back as forth as you like. Rename them too, to keep them labeled with more than just the date. Best to keep backups on the PC in case the sd card dies on you.

Beeeeeeeeer

Jan 21, 2011
Now I'm confused. I'm reading all over the forum.
While my Kyros 7015 is on its way, I'm thinking of what to install.. Stick to the original firmware, or install watery kyros..

I heard from many that Watery Kyros do a lot of things than the original.
What if i'm installing the Watery Kyros to my 7015 right out of the box..?

Do I need to do the coby update?
Or I just root, install clockwork and install Watery Kyros?

I thought reading alot in forums would make it clear, now I'm mixed and I need a final word..

If your Coby is on the way, it's doubtful you need the update. I have watery 1.1 and the graphics fix:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-mid7015-graphics-fix-angry-birds-others.html
Rooted with z4 first. Its been very stable.

hellman4710

Apr 9, 2011
I have a problem with ClockworkMod when ever i try to install ClockworkMod recovery it doesnt, it tells me theres an error while downloading from the server. I am connected via wifi and my SD Card has 1.64gb free, and I did root my device and all that

LarryS

Feb 19, 2011
@l_n:
I'm still very happy with Watery v1.2a (modified). Do you still plan for any further work on this? Thanks.

Sent from my Kyros 7015 using the Android Tablet Forum App powered by Tapatalk.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
I don't know why but I am still having problems with installing a zip after I open it , then I try to rezip it... I use 7zip and ESfile manager ... All I am trying to do is putin new music and browser apps ... but no matter what, if I unzip it then rezip it it wont take... Any body have any ideas of what or why this happens? thanks

Last edited:

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
I don't know why but i am still having problems with installing a zip afyer i open it , then try to rezip it... I use 7zip and ESfile manager ... All i am trying to do is putin new music and browser apps ... but no matter what if i unzip it then rezip it it wont take... Any body have any ideas of what or why this happens? thanks
What do you mean by "won't take". Are you getting errors or just not seeing the apps after the update?

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

Just curious, why would you unzip then re-zip? If you use winzip you can view all ziped files and drag out (remove) anything you dont want to flash without ever unziping. This is handy for signed circomstances. Hope I am being clear enough... 7z is a great program but I find it is not as user friendly. If you want your browser and music working just pull them from another Telechips device rom. You may need to try a couple but you will get one working.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
Hello,

Just curious, why would you unzip then re-zip? If you use winzip you can view all ziped files and drag out (remove) anything you dont want to flash without ever unziping. This is handy for signed circomstances. Hope I am being clear enough... 7z is a great program but I find it is not as user friendly. If you want your browser and music working just pull them from another Telechips device rom. You may need to try a couple but you will get one working.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk
7Zip will let you delete and add as well. I don't know about drag and drop but it works. When I want to re zip something, I always use Linux and resign the zip after.

jschill31

Mar 4, 2011
7Zip will let you delete and add as well. I don't know about drag and drop but it works. When I want to re zip something, I always use Linux and resign the zip after.

+1 The resign is the correct way... 7z just tends to piss me off since it is different than what I have used for 10+ years. I do know that there is less chance of bad files using 7z but I just don't like it.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Hello,

I'll try winzip... I'm running WK 1.1 and it runs great... I check in from time to time here to see whats new with it and i read how people are using 1.2a with no issues ... I can't load the zip after i re-zip 1.2a with the music and browser apps... It doesn't load onto the tab... It tries to but doesn't...

What do you mean by "won't take". Are you getting errors or just not seeing the apps after the update?

No errors message just won't load the zip... Its crazy because if i load the zip as is it takes no problem but not after i re-zip it...

I tried with the file zipped ... I'm not sure if the app i tried to copy into it was zipped but I'll try it again ...

Thanks to all for your feedback

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
I'll try winzip... I'm running WK 1.1 and it runs great... I check in from time to time here to see whats new with it and i read how people are using 1.2a with no issues ... I can't load the zip after i re-zip 1.2a with the music and browser apps... It doesn't load onto the tab... It tries to but doesn't...

No errors message just won't load the zip... Its crazy because if i load the zip as is it takes no problem but not after i re-zip it...

I tried with the file zipped ... I'm not sure if the app i tried to copy into it was zipped but I'll try it again ...

Thanks to all for your feedback
Sounds like you are on windows and there is another possible reason. The file name has to be blablabla.zip Sometimes in windows you wind up with blablabla.zip.zip The whole "Hide extensions for known file types" thing. I've seen it before.