Root and Gapps for Telechips, 7032,7034,7036,7048,8048

martin73x

Dec 13, 2012
Via fastboot I have flashed "boot.img"+"system.img"+"recovery.img"
Then when I reboot only the Coby icon appears.
Then I flashed via CW recovery yours "7048_recovery_root_gapps.zip" nothing changed then I flashed vi CW "8048_recovery_signed.zip"

I couldn't flash 7048_system.tar

asheghost

Jan 8, 2013
Greetings.

I have a Coby Kyros MID7036-4 and I am trying to follow this thread to somehow install Google Play App so that I can properly use the Marvel, DC, and/or ComiXology APPS.

I've tried following this thread but have a few questions:

1. How do I unzip it on my tablet?

2. Where is "Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now"

I can't find that anywhere...

Thanks for your knowledge!

ravenryuu

Dec 15, 2012
Greetings.

I have a Coby Kyros MID7036-4 and I am trying to follow this thread to somehow install Google Play App so that I can properly use the Marvel, DC, and/or ComiXology APPS.

I've tried following this thread but have a few questions:

1. How do I unzip it on my tablet?

2. Where is "Settings > About tablet > System updates > Install system update > From internal storage > Install now"

I can't find that anywhere...

Thanks for your knowledge!

Did you read the earlier posts in this thread? There have been quite a few successful 7036 stories. There's no need to "unzip" the file. The tablet will work with it as a .zip file - just be sure to rename it as instructed from the original post. As for your question #2 - I have the 7034 tablet, so I'm not sure how different accessing Settings is for your 7036 :confused:

Check post #56 - http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7032-7034-7036-7048-8048-a-6.html#post262547
and post #57 (the one following) confirms the steps in post #56 were successful for the 7036 ;)

Last edited:

Drryll

Jan 9, 2013
I have rooted my tablet successfully and I have the PlayStore but I cannot install Chrome or Maps etc, this is important to me as I want to Sync my tablet across Google+. Is there any way around this?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Sideload both apps rather than downloading them through the Play Store. The reason I say this is because the only fixes available for improving Play Store compatibility are mine. Those fixes consist of three parts:

• Replacement permissions files.
  • Replacement build.prop.
  • Replacement framework-res.apk.

The thing here is that the fixes I mention are only guaranteed to work on a 9742. There have been people using other Coby tablets with an Allwinner CPU and stock ROM that have had some success in improving the Play Store's compatibility. They did so by either creating their own build.prop or importing one from a custom ROM. But while they got it to work, I have heard of issues regarding changing the build.prop on a Telechips Coby, and unless the permissions and a working build.prop are installed to the tablet, you will not be able to improve the compatibility of the Play Store.

Therefore, your best bet is to sideload the apps.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have rooted my tablet successfully and I have the PlayStore but I cannot install Chrome or Maps etc, this is important to me as I want to Sync my tablet across Google+. Is there any way around this?
If you search for my custom for 8048 thread you will find an updated gapps zip that fixes this problem.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you search for my custom for 8048 thread you will find an updated gapps zip that fixes this problem.
Teach me to answer a thread without looking. :)

I should have known you'd have come up with a solution.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I've flashed boot.img+system.img+restore.img.
Do you say that only I must flash restore.img?

I don't know what you are doing,

What I ask you to flash was

7048_system_restore.zip

which has nothing to due with boot.img+system.img+restore.img

You need cw recovery

place 7048_system_restore.zip on your micro sdcard boot into recovery.

factory reset

install 7048_system_restore.zip

martin73x

Dec 13, 2012
I don't know what you are doing,

What I ask you to flash was

7048_system_restore.zip

which has nothing to due with boot.img+system.img+restore.img

You need cw recovery

place 7048_system_restore.zip on your micro sdcard boot into recovery.

factory reset

install 7048_system_restore.zip

I followed your method.

I've flashed 7048_system_restore.zip via CW from SD Card with not success.

The *.img via fastboot was before because a week ago only the Coby icon appears.

Now the tablet boots Android good , and all aparently is correct but the touchscreen still is not working so is the only thing that I can do.

killercolors

Jun 28, 2012
I've got a 9042-8 and from what I've read this will root my tablet. I've changed it to UPDATE.ZIP and uploaded it to my tablet, but my tablet has 4.0.3 and there is no system update under about tablet.
I've even tried looking for the update zip in recovery mode and it can't find it.
Is there any specific folder I should have put the zip into? As I don't have micro SD card lying around.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I've got a 9042-8...
I just saw this. This root method isn't for your 9042, which you would have noticed had you simply read the title of the thread. You want to look a little more carefully in the Development Index and Root Utility sticky post for the root procedure for Generation 3 tablets using an Allwinner CPU, such as your 9042.