Root Coby 8065 via ADB

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Wondering if anyone else is having issues with rooting the 8065 using ADB and method 1.

I downloaded all the files needed for method 1. Not sure if the device should be in recovery mode or simply in regular mode? Regardless when trying to ADB and connected via USB the computer doesn't recognize the device, meaning it's not connected to ADB. I'm wondering if there are specific USB drivers that my windows 7 laptop may have not loaded? anyone load specific drivers to adb into the device?

Start with the coby gen3 drivers package.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...59-basic-driver-installation-windows-pcs.html

There are 2 drivers for the 8065. the MTD or sdcard and the adb composit drivers.

When you plug the tablet in the win7 machine, what does device manager show ?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
If you are following along on the other thread and have sdcard, you can boot from sdcard with the modified recovery I made, then flash fake recovery then flash root zip. Once you have fake recovery do a backup, we would still like another recover.img.

Thought that was for 7065 only. I'll add it to post1.

Last edited:

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
Could you please provide the link to that recovery that I could put on my sd card? Sorry there are a few threads now with 8065 root info, not sure where to look any more :).

Thanks!

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Last edited:

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
Looked through the post can't find files to download to root 8065 from sd card called 8065_stock_recovery or fake_recovery. Are these the exact name for the downloadable files?

Can someone post a simple step by step guide with links to files to root the 8065. I see a lot of references but no successful roots yet.

For example:

1. turn on 8065 into recovery mode by pressing ..
2. download these files onto sd card .. dl link here...
3. type these commands ...
4. restart..
5. now you're rooted the 8065..

This would make it a lot easier in one simple place with all the files ... and help a ton of people googling the subject :).

Thanks to all that could help post.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I used the method in this post to root my 8065. This thread was my attempt to help prevent any more 8065 users from bricking their tablets applying the 7065 root via stock recovery.

So, if you want to root your tablet, you may use the ADB method here (or the 7065 root thread) and you will get root.

The file names for vampirefo's method are in his post above. In the coming days, there will be a thread with all the details and links, but for now,

The adb method is pretty straight forward, getting the drivers setup was the hardest part for me. If you go thru the steps in this thread, we can help you, and you will get rooted.

Just made a few formatting changes to post #1. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Looked through the post can't find files to download to root 8065 from sd card called 8065_stock_recovery or fake_recovery. Are these the exact name for the downloadable files?

Can someone post a simple step by step guide with links to files to root the 8065. I see a lot of references but no successful roots yet.

For example:

1. turn on 8065 into recovery mode by pressing ..
2. download these files onto sd card .. dl link here...
3. type these commands ...
4. restart..
5. now you're rooted the 8065..

This would make it a lot easier in one simple place with all the files ... and help a ton of people googling the subject :).

Thanks to all that could help post.

Agreed, and when the recovery method is tested someone will do that. It was only yesterday that vampirefo finished the 8065 recovery. The ADB method does not use recovery.

For now, we have the proven ADB method. If you don't have ADB working, or don't want to use it, thats your choice.

If you want to try, check what device manager in windows shows when you plug in your tablet.

Update- I just posted a configuration file to help with win 7 driver install. Its linked in the first post.

Driver configure file >>>>> http://www.mediafire.com/download/6r4ft2lq3yce1d3/Coby_Gen4_driver.zip

Works in Win 7 and 8.

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Wondering if anyone else is having issues with rooting the 8065 using ADB and method 1.

I downloaded all the files needed for method 1. Not sure if the device should be in recovery mode or simply in regular mode? Regardless when trying to ADB and connected via USB the computer doesn't recognize the device, meaning it's not connected to ADB. I'm wondering if there are specific USB drivers that my windows 7 laptop may have not loaded? anyone load specific drivers to adb into the device?

I was attempting to get WindowsXP and the 8065 to recognize one another after reading up on a similar device connection problem/troubleshooting thread over at XDA Developers, using MTP Porting Kit and installing Windows Media Player 11,(bloat-load I really didn't want) but hit a dead end.(unless I wanted to try mucking up .cfg Android and USB file/s) So I ended up installing Ubuntu 12.05 LTS on an older DELL tablet, and after installing ADT Bundle and Java SDK, the tablet was recognized as an adb device.(Just wouldn't do it on the XP Windows without possibly messing the configuration file/s.) The USB connection would work,(mass storage device) but not USB Debugging. Adroid is Linux, hence they play well together. Setting up Linux (I used Ubuntu 12.05) is not as complicated as many fear, and it gives you a better/nearly hassle-free connection and control to Android devices from ADB/Terminal. Plenty of great easy-to-follow tutorials for installing Linux and ADB out there if you Google it. Not sure about other Windows versions, but XP has a difficult time with 8065. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Todd

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
I guess I should wait until I hear back from you guys as to which method you'd like me to experiment with first.(warm smilz) Again, I'm connected to the device through ADB running on Linux. Thanks kind sirs!(warm smilz)

Todd

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
Once this semester is over (two-three weeks) I can start testing again and get a working method to root 8065 via recovery. I'm just way too busy now D: finals, work and then more work. (two jobs are not much fun)

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I guess I should wait until I hear back from you guys as to which method you'd like me to experiment with first.(warm smilz) Again, I'm connected to the device through ADB running on Linux. Thanks kind sirs!(warm smilz)

Todd

@mcclain_ts It would help if you would try this method and post your results. I revised the format, and hope its more clear.

@bluedot Thanks for you contributions. It really helped me understand things better (still a lot to learn). Good luck in your studies.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
@mcclain_ts It would help if you would try this method and post your results. I revised the format, and hope its more clear.

@bluedot Thanks for you contributions. It really helped me understand things better (still a lot to learn). Good luck in your studies.

Will do! I'll go back to the first post and confirm/then reconfirm how I go about doing it.(warm smilz) I'll let you know my progress.(if any/all) Thanks!

Todd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bludot...
Ya, hope you ACE those finals BUDDY!!!(warm smilz) You can do it!!!

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
One last question before I attempt the root. After i successfully root, I'd like to dump right away. What's the suggested/correct method for getting it right the first go around. I know that was a "Newbish" question, but I gotta have a good backup. Even if it takes a while to restore it, should things go south, and I somehow brick up.Lolll Let's hope that won't happen.(smilz)
Thanks again! Hope the day's treating you well!

Todd