Root Coby 8065 via ADB

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
One last question before I attempt the root. After i successfully root, I'd like to dump right away. What's the suggested/correct method for getting it right the first go around. I know that was a "Newbish" question, but I gotta have a good backup. Even if it takes a while to restore it, should things go south, and I somehow brick up.Lolll Let's hope that won't happen.(smilz)
Thanks again! Hope the day's treating you well!

Todd

Good point. Here is the backup method recommended by vampirefo:

mkdir /sdcard/dump

cat /dev/mtd/mtd4 > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img
busybox tar -czvf /sdcard/dump/coby33_system.tgz /system

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
In order to do this, you must have ADB up and working.

Files to download: AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip here >>>AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root

This method is the same as we use on Coby 3rd Gen.

You must have adb setup and working correctly to use this method. It should work for other Gen 4 Coby's.

extract AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xdaa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

Always make a system dump after rooting.

Update 11-16-13

11-16-13 Vampirefo is developing a root method for the 8065 that doesn't require adb. for more info >>>>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-7035-7065-7060-so-repair-tablet-sd-card.html

The purpose of this thread is to avoid any confusion over 7065 root methods being applied to 8065. WARNING: DO NOT USE METHOD 2 from Root Coby 7065 via Adb and Recovery ! This will force a factory reset and possible damage to your 8065 !

IF YOU NEED TO GET ADB WORKING >>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-4-technical/62708-easy-adb-install-windows.html

windows drivers are still being developed, start with the coby gen3 drivers here: >>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...59-basic-driver-installation-windows-pcs.html
Then add this file to your .android directory >>>>> Coby_Gen4_driver
(tested in Windows 7 and 8 only)

Credit to Vampirefo's method and original thread here >>>>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...al/58323-root-coby-7065-via-adb-recovery.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I extracted the AMLogic_Coby_ADB_root zip in with ADB on Linux, and proceeded to terminal up: adb - adb devices - device found and is connected. Attempted to: adb push data /data/local/tmp/

but received the message: "mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb push data /data/local/tmp/
cannot stat 'data': No such file or directory"

So I need to create the " /data/local/tmp " directory on the device/mid8065. Or am I wrong?? ? This "newbie" post will help others too, should they come across the same.(smilz) I think I must create the directory. (But let me know if I'm wrong please.)
Thanks tpaine! I hope your day is going fine. 26 degrees last night here in Monroe, OR - ice on the ground this morning, but NO RAIN!!!(smilz) Can finish up trimming the folks house!
Thank you kind sir!
(warm smilz)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks to you and Vampire for the dump method and rooting methods. I will incorporate this immediately after the root, and no later.(warm smilz)

------------------------- This code, after I root the beast!

mkdir /sdcard/dump

cat /dev/mtd/mtd4 > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img
busybox tar -czvf /sdcard/dump/coby33_system.tgz /system

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I extracted the AMLogic_Coby_ADB_root zip in with ADB on Linux, and proceeded to terminal up: adb - adb devices - device found and is connected. Attempted to: adb push data /data/local/tmp/

but received the message: "mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb push data /data/local/tmp/

So I need to create the " /data/local/tmp " directory on the device/mid8065. Or am I wrong?? ? This "newbie" post will help others too, should they come across the same.(smilz) I think I must create the directory. (But let me know if I'm wrong please.)
Thanks tpaine! I hope your day is going fine. 26 degrees last night here in Monroe, OR - ice on the ground this morning, but NO RAIN!!!(smilz) Can finish up trimming the folks house!
Thank you kind sir!
(warm smilz)

Looks like the "data" directory is missing. You hit upon a good point here. The extract line should read "Extact the zip file to your working directory."

Then, if you list your directory, you should see the data folder and it should contain the mempodroid and other files from the zip.

The adb push command is all that's needed to copy the files over.

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Hello!(warm smilz) Thanks for the help! Ya, inside the tablet, under "FileBrowser", it's showing the "Local Disk" and "External Storage Card". Under the "Local Disk" directory, I see folders for "Android", "dump"(???), and "Notifications". Where the "dump" folder is from, I have NO clue. I NEVER tried dumping with this tablet. It is a used one. But I never dumped it. Not yet anyway. I even did a wipe from stock recovery, when I first got this thing.LOL
Anyway, I guess I need to create a new "data" and "tmp" inside the data folder somehow, then try the ADB again?(smilz)
Well, thanks again tpaine!

Todd

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Check if you are rooted

adb shell

shellatandroid$ su

shell#

If you are rooted, just redo the dump.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
To get the files from the tablet to the desktop:

in linux working directory

mkdir backup

adb pull /data/local/tmp/boot.img backup/boot.img

for all backup files.

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Check if you are rooted

adb shell

shellatandroid$ su

shell#

If you are rooted, just redo the dump.

---------------------------------------------------

Was hoping that would be easy/in there already!(smilz) "su not found".(sighs) I think I... " mkdir /sdcard/local/temp " from the ADB prompt, don't I?? ? Sorry for the "NEWBIE"like way here.(smilz) Once I create that over there, then I should be able to root using the unpacked zip you created with the root.sh script you created, which installs the SU?(sighs) Telephone!!!LOL

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Hello!(warm smilz) Thanks for the help! Ya, inside the tablet, under "FileBrowser", it's showing the "Local Disk" and "External Storage Card". Under the "Local Disk" directory, I see folders for "Android", "dump"(???), and "Notifications". Where the "dump" folder is from, I have NO clue.

To view the data folder on the tablet, you need a file explorer with root permissions.

Thats why its quicker to use the adb pull command and get it all done at once. (if everthing goes well)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Looks like you are confusing Ubuntu, you need to push data folder contents to tmp folder.

adb push data /data/local/tmp
Your error says you didn't tell adb where the data folder is located.
Add the path to data folder.

Example

adb push /home/vampirefo/data /data/local/tmp

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013

Thank you kind sir!
(warm smilz)
---------------------------------------------------------------

extract AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xdaa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

Except at the: " adb push data /data/local/tmp/ ", I try, but I keep getting an error message of: " cannot stat 'data': No such file or directory ".(sighs)

I'm not sure what's causing that to occur. I'm pretty certain it's not a permissions thing. And ADB sees and lists the device normally in Linux(Ubuntu 12.04)
(sighs)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Looks like you are confusing Ubuntu, you need to push data folder contents to tmp folder.

adb push data /data/local/tmp
Your error says you didn't tell adb where the data folder is located.
Add the path to data folder.

Example

adb push /home/vampirefo/data /data/local/tmp

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone.

------------------------------------------------------------- Trying ----------------------------------------- ...

Like so?? ? " adb push /home/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data /data/local/tmp "

Thanks guys! I know you're busy!!!(smilz)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
' cannot stat '/home/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data': No such file or directory ' I feel like a "bonehead".LOL (sighs)

I need mkdir on the tablet first though, create a new folder to push to?

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
' cannot stat '/home/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data': No such file or directory ' I

The linux file system is still confusing to me. With a Downloaded file, it starts in that directory. I used archive manager to create the platform-tools/data directory and then extract to that directory.

I need mkdir on the tablet first though, create a new folder to push to?

Not during root. the adb push takes care of that.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
The linux file system is still confusing to me. With a Downloaded file, it starts in that directory. I used archive manager to create the platform-tools/data directory and then extract to that directory.

Not during root. the adb push takes care of that.

LOL Confusing the heck out of me too!LOL Then again, I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be.(YET!)LOL Give me time, Linux and I will become acquainted.(smilz) Not having much luck here. I might be faster/better off just to copy the zip you made to a small microSD external I have here somewhere, and load it that way. The ADB acts strange for me under Ubuntu too. I adb devices(without "adb shell") and it shows the device. I do "adb shell", and it shows no devices connected.(sighs) Hmmm...(thinking)(scratching my head) Well, I am a "Newb'" after all.(smilz)

------------------------------------------------------------ Ya,... I thought...

I thought that when we give the command to 'push', the directories we order/ask to push, ADB should create those on the fly for us. I figured that much. I'm pretty certain I have ADB set up correctly, and am laying out the path/s correctly as Vampire pointed out. But maybe I am missing one tiny part/instruction/part of the correct command, etc. to get her to "sit up and roll over".(smilz)

I do a " cat /proc/mtd " with/without adb shell, and I do see a nice listing for the device under the shell. Nothing outside.(scratching my melon)

A LOT to learn still. A LOT! Not ready to go back to Windows XP just yet.LOLLLlllllll