Root Coby 8065 via ADB

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks for your time, knowledge, and input on helping me out. As always. (warm smilz) I haven't thrown in the towel on the bricked 7033 yet either. I AM thinking I might have to send a good/working one to Vampire, so he can understand these better too. Need to scrape up some funds for shipping though. I have almost enough parts here to put another working 7033 together, unless... No, I don't think he wants the bricked one.(smilz) Maybe he can figure a way to unbrick it too. All in good time. Too bad there isn't a cwm recovery for those too. But even if there was, most folks wouldn't know to install it first. Anyway.(smilz)
I doubt he wants me sending him any tablets his way, anyway. Poor guy's already bombarded by PMs, emails, and silly guys like me, asking A LOT of common sense(but still can't see) questions.LOL

Alright, enough of this.(smilz) Drywall mud/tape time!

Talk at you later!

Thanks!

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Looks like you are confusing Ubuntu, you need to push data folder contents to tmp folder.

adb push data /data/local/tmp
Your error says you didn't tell adb where the data folder is located.
Add the path to data folder.

Example

adb push /home/vampirefo/data /data/local/tmp

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thinking more about what you and tpaine said,...

I thought it was something small, and it was. Somehow, the path was just not quite right. So I:

adb push /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data /sdcard/data/local/tmp/data (as you said in the first place - forgot my user name/home name)

results were:

mid8065 now has a folder at: /sdcard/data/local/tmp/data (with mempodroid, root.sh, su, and Superuser.apk) Now THAT's much better!(grinz) and didn't even have to get drywall mud all over things here looking for that microSD card.(smilz)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Getting closer to root. I gotta go back and apply a little more mud/tape/mud, but I shall return. Gentlemen.(warm smilz)
Thank you.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thinking more about what you and tpaine said,...

I thought it was something small, and it was. Somehow, the path was just not quite right. So I:

adb push /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data /sdcard/data/local/tmp/data (as you said in the first place - forgot my user name/home name)

results were:

mid8065 now has a folder at: /sdcard/data/local/tmp/data (with mempodroid, root.sh, su, and Superuser.apk) Now THAT's much better!(grinz) and didn't even have to get drywall mud all over things here looking for that microSD card.(smilz)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Getting closer to root. I gotta go back and apply a little more mud/tape/mud, but I shall return. Gentlemen.(warm smilz)
Thank you.

Nope, use:

adb push /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data /data/local/tmp/

cause the step "chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid" looks for mempodroid >>>>>>> /data/local/tmp

Keep at it, you're making progress.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Nope, use:

adb push /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data /data/local/tmp/

cause the step "chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid" looks for mempodroid >>>>>>> /data/local/tmp

Keep at it, you're making progress.

---------------------------------------------Final commands and output that made it so...........

From my terminal:(warm smilz)

mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
AAF000002477 device

mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb push /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data /data/local/tmp/
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/Superuser.apk -> /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/root.sh -> /data/local/tmp/root.sh
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/su -> /data/local/tmp/su
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/mempodroid -> /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
4 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
1922 KB/s (1859959 bytes in 0.944s)
mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb shell
shell@android:/ $ chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
aa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh <
rooting...
shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Success!!!(BIG sigh of relief!)Lollll

----------------------------------------------------------- Thanks for sticking with me on this! Now, onto the dump process - straight away! Have to go back and read the earlier post with commands (Vampire's) you gave me earlier. How's the temps down there? Gonna be another cold night here. Maybe down to the teens again.(smilz) Well, I thank you again for your (and Vampire's) support and patience with this "Newbie"!(smilz)

I'll let you guys know as soon as I upload the dump.(with a link to my gdrive)

Have a great night!
Regards,

Todd

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Good point. Here is the backup method recommended by vampirefo:

mkdir /sdcard/dump

cat /dev/mtd/mtd4 > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img
busybox tar -czvf /sdcard/dump/coby33_system.tgz /system

------------------------------------------------------- Some work, some...

mkdir /sdcard/dump

-----------------All work fine. But,...

Ends with:

" shell@android:/ # busybox tar -czvf /sdcard/dump/coby33_system.tgz /systemtar: removing leading '/' from member names
Aborted " (sighs)
---------------------------------------------- cat /proc/mtd.............

134|shell@android:/ # cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00800000 00200000 "bootloader"
mtd1: 00800000 00400000 "logo"
mtd2: 00800000 00400000 "aml_logo"
mtd3: 00800000 00400000 "recovery"
mtd4: 00800000 00400000 "boot"
mtd5: 20400000 00400000 "system"
mtd6: 08000000 00400000 "factory"
mtd7: 20000000 00400000 "cache"
mtd8: 90000000 00400000 "userdata"
mtd9: 122c00000 00400000 "NFTL_Part"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Where's the BEEF?!!! (smilz)

mtd5: ... ... "system" - I hope!(smilz)

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
---------------------------------------------Final commands and output that made it so...........

From my terminal:(warm smilz)

mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
AAF000002477 device

mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb push /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data /data/local/tmp/
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/Superuser.apk -> /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/root.sh -> /data/local/tmp/root.sh
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/su -> /data/local/tmp/su
push: /home/mcclaints/adt-bundle-linux-x86-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/data/mempodroid -> /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
4 files pushed. 0 files skipped.
1922 KB/s (1859959 bytes in 0.944s)
mcclaints@Inspiron-1100-ubuntu:~$ adb shell
shell@android:/ $ chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid
aa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh <
rooting...
shell@android:/ $ su
shell@android:/ # <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Success!!!(BIG sigh of relief!)Lollll

----------------------------------------------------------- Thanks for sticking with me on this! Now, onto the dump process - straight away! Have to go back and read the earlier post with commands (Vampire's) you gave me earlier. How's the temps down there? Gonna be another cold night here. Maybe down to the teens again.(smilz) Well, I thank you again for your (and Vampire's) support and patience with this "Newbie"!(smilz)

I'll let you guys know as soon as I upload the dump.(with a link to my gdrive)

Have a great night!
Regards,

Todd

Glad it worked for you. Congrats on sticking with it ! P.S. its cooling off down here in socal... Freezing in the mountains, but they are so clear in the fall/winter.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
------------------------------------------------------- Some work, some...

mkdir /sdcard/dump

-----------------All work fine. But,...

Ends with:

" shell@android:/ # busybox tar -czvf /sdcard/dump/coby33_system.tgz /systemtar: removing leading '/' from member names
Aborted " (sighs)

You will need to update your busybox for the system files to dump. Your boot, recovery, and bootloader are backed up.

See this post >>>>>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...0-so-repair-tablet-sd-card-13.html#post300056

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks! Well, I wish I could say I think we're in for a mild winter, but...(sighs)

Ya, I bet those mountains are pretty in the winter, viewing them from where you are?(are they within view?) "SoCal" as far down as SanDiego? Or around LA? I lived near LAX for work, on two separate occasions, for (3) three months each time. I was lost, to say the least.LOL You really need a map/book to get around, unless you grew up in/around LA. I remember it getting quite cold a few times during the winter months.

Update the busybox, GOT IT!(smilz) Almost...
You're not a night owl too, are you?(smilz) Just thought/had to ask.

Okay, to update...!!!

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
It is very useful for the tablet owner (or hacker) to be able to use adb commands.

Here is one of my favorites for taking a screenshot via adb:

adb shell /system/bin/screencap -p /sdcard/screenshot.png
adb pull /sdcard/screenshot.png screenshot.png

As to nite-owl-ism, my motto, "i eat when i'm hungry, i drink when i'm dry. if i don't get rye whiskey, i surely will die."

that goes for sleep, too. ;-)

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Progress...

Updated busybox from GooglePlay. Finished the system dump. Compressed the files to a single zip file, and uploading to my gdrive now. Should have a link to post here soon. If a senior member wouldn't mind checking out my dump contents after I post it, that would be great! Thanks! Could not have done this without your help and motivation! Would be nice if we had a CWM recovery for each and every tablet, but after I heard, I can see why Vampire's reluctant to build any more. If a guy's going to SELL roms to people, he should thoroughly test them first.(so they don't brick tablets, especially when people shell out money for the dirty rom/s) Android in itself is supposed to be free. I wonder how Google feels about the guy selling (any) portions of their intellectual property.(sighs) Anyway, I hope to build a CWM, just for giggles-n-kicks!(smilz) I think I may need A LOT more space on my hard drive though. If I ever am able to create one, I'll only share it with those that I know won't take it for granted or abuse it.

100% uploaded. Here's the MID8065 dump after the rooting process we accomplished together. 8065 dump here

Thanks again for making this possible!

Todd

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Progress...

Updated busybox from GooglePlay. Finished the system dump. Compressed the files to a single zip file, and uploading to my gdrive now.

Thanks for taking the time to create and upload your system dump. Checked your boot, recovery and bootloader. All look good. Can't check system files, at the moment, but it is very close to mine in file size.

One last thing, please post the link to your dump along with your build date to the Firmware dump thread for gen 4 devices here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-4-devices.html

ps Wrightwood is on the other side of the san gabriel mtns from me. Fridays high 30 degrees, fridays low 30 degrees. Saturdays high 41 low 29. In another 50 or 100 years, this global warming is gonna...

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Progress...

Updated busybox from GooglePlay. Finished the system dump. Compressed the files to a single zip file, and uploading to my gdrive now. Should have a link to post here soon. If a senior member wouldn't mind checking out my dump contents after I post it, that would be great! Thanks! Could not have done this without your help and motivation! Would be nice if we had a CWM recovery for each and every tablet, but after I heard, I can see why Vampire's reluctant to build any more. If a guy's going to SELL roms to people, he should thoroughly test them first.(so they don't brick tablets, especially when people shell out money for the dirty rom/s) Android in itself is supposed to be free. I wonder how Google feels about the guy selling (any) portions of their intellectual property.(sighs) Anyway, I hope to build a CWM, just for giggles-n-kicks!(smilz) I think I may need A LOT more space on my hard drive though. If I ever am able to create one, I'll only share it with those that I know won't take it for granted or abuse it.

100% uploaded. Here's the MID8065 dump after the rooting process we accomplished together. 8065 dump here

Thanks again for making this possible!

Todd

This is a good dump, the recovery.img, boot.img, bootloader.img unpack, and system is fine.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
I finally started using Ubuntu, yep I was a hold out for many years, as I always built my own Linux MEPIS Community Forum - View topic - Mepis_Gnome Remaster, But version 12 of Ubuntu with mate desktop works for me..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the link!(smilz) I never heard of ' Mepis '. Ya, that Ubuntu seems pretty good to me too.(nice GUI) Still A LOT to learn

when it comes to using the terminal under Linux for me. Command and such. Even building from packages(or source ?? ? as it's called) is all still new. It IS cool though!(smilz) And what's really nice, is that it unleashes that ability to really tweak things more to your liking, as well as do MANY things you simply can't do on Windows.(and sometimes, not even a Mac) I think. If I'm correct.

Say, I was thinking about just sending you the good 7033 already!LOL One way/No need to send her back.(keep it/sell it/whatever) I don't know if you're up for that, but...(smilz) Anyway, let me know. I think I got enough here for shipping. I DEFINITELY know you'd be not only faster, but better at building a recovery for it. I don't have the where-with-all, or the space on my HDD to even try to attempt it. Would be nice to finally have a way to prevent a brick or more on these.(smilz) I just wish I had a way to unbrick this other'n'. I have one with a cracked digitizer too. I have been on the hunt for a new/used one.
Anyway, sorry rambling again!LOL I'm gonna go check out this MEPIS link... You sir, have yourself a great day.

-------- --------- ---------- ---------- -----------
Forgot to ask, what's that one?? ? "mate desktop"?? ? Something good I should maybe know about?
That "Ubuntu with mate desktop". Thanks again!

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to create and upload your system dump. Checked your boot, recovery and bootloader. All look good. Can't check system files, at the moment, but it is very close to mine in file size.

One last thing, please post the link to your dump along with your build date to the Firmware dump thread for gen 4 devices here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...firmware-dumps-coby-generation-4-devices.html

ps Wrightwood is on the other side of the san gabriel mtns from me. Fridays high 30 degrees, fridays low 30 degrees. Saturdays high 41 low 29. In another 50 or 100 years, this global warming is gonna...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... gonna leave us ALL without a sustainable(and most hostile/ALREADY getting) place to live. (sighs) I agree, still too much pollution in our world. I still remember the crying Indian ads, from back in the 70s, and the clean environment movement/"Don't pollute!"/etc. The base of it all is man is his own worst enemy. Sadly. We are capable of such GREAT things! But we also have a self-destructive nature too. I'm a FIRM believer there is still hope however.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to post that link to the dump now. You have a great day there! Try to stay warm/bundle up! Though it's cold, still must be a nice area with breathtaking views?(warm smilz)