Root !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hemingray

Aug 26, 2011
Using the DooMLoRD's utility, for some reason, it just hangs at Waiting for the device. Tablet is connected directly to PC (not through any hubs, etc). USB Debugging and Unknown Sources are enabled, what am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Put the new v3 release of zergRush into SOC 2.2 and it worked!

PS: As stated before, this is not a temp root, but 100% full, tested root. Well done OP for bringing us this!

Last edited:

swynkoop

Nov 9, 2011
I haven't tried this yet, and probably won't unless I can see some practical benefit. That said. If I root my Vizio, can I fix the SD card problem? Is anyone working on steps for that? Once it is rooted, should one install CyanogenMod? Would that fix the Bluetooth limitations or the sideways Skype problem? If CyanogenMod is installed, does it replace Gingerbread? Can or should you switch between the two? I guess I really need a Vizio Rooting for Dummies tutorial. Thanks for being patient with my dumb questions.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
Hemingray, Thanks. Edited my OP to use V3 version.

Last edited:

birdcrazie

Nov 3, 2011
Mine is doing the same thing, what is SOC?

edit Super one click OK, haven't used it will try to research how

Last edited:

faithalone

Oct 1, 2011
Ok - I just finished and can confirm you gain root access - woo hoo! I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders - (sad right?)

Here are the steps I took and I want to say from the beginning this is a fairly complicated process - I am what I consider an intermediate computer user and the process took me about an hour to figure out and get success.

I got hung up on the usb drivers for the Vtab - the ones provided by Vizio are rubbish and I could not even get them to work-

You need to have the ADB drivers installed - this is a great resource and I followed the directions here:

What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

I installed the Android SDK only installing the first two main packages and un-check everything else except for the USB drivers towards the bottom. Let that install and then you have to manually go to the directory with the USB driver files and edit. I used this thread to help me out:

My quest to root my Vizio VTAB108 Tablet and how I enabled ADB access - xda-developers

Follow the directions for editing inf file and then go to device manager and choose the file for your drivers - your tablet should show up towards the top of the device manager under Android ... something something - lol cant remember

You do not have to set the path to the directory but you will need to open a command prompt and manually go to the directory with the adb exe file and type adb devices
You should get a response showing your device.

Once you can confirm your device is listed then just open up the .bat file in the DoomLord directory - and make sure that the proper settings for USB debugging etc. etc. are correct and voila -

Really quite a complicated root process but it did work - hope my short instructions help some folks out - hope I was clear and did not leave out any steps.

I take no credit for any of this - It was really just taking some great info that others had so gracefully shared and put together that enabled me to succeed. I wish you the best!

Good luck!

Last edited:

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
Ok - I just finished and can confirm you gain root access - woo hoo! I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders - (sad right?)

Here are the steps I took and I want to say from the beginning this is a fairly complicated process - I am what I consider an intermediate computer user and the process took me about an hour to figure out and get success.

I got hung up on the usb drivers for the Vtab - the ones provided by Vizio are rubbish and I could not even get them to work-

You need to have the ADB drivers installed - this is a great resource and I followed the directions here:

What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK

I installed the Android SDK only installing the first two main packages and un-check everything else except for the USB drivers towards the bottom. Let that install and then you have to manually go to the directory with the USB driver files and edit. I used this thread to help me out:

My quest to root my Vizio VTAB108 Tablet and how I enabled ADB access - xda-developers

Follow the directions for editing inf file and then go to device manager and choose the file for your drivers - your tablet should show up towards the top of the device manager under Android ... something something - lol cant remember

You do not have to set the path to the directory but you will need to open a command prompt and manually go to the directory with the adb exe file and type adb devices
You should get a response showing your device.

Once you can confirm your device is listed then just open up the .bat file in the DoomLord directory - and make sure that the proper settings for USB debugging etc. etc. are correct and voila -

Really quite a complicated root process but it did work - hope my short instructions help some folks out - hope I was clear and did not leave out any steps.

I take no credit for any of this - It was really just taking some great info that others had so gracefully shared and put together that enabled me to succeed. I wish you the best!

Good luck!

I use a Mac and I do not have a Windows computer. Does Doomlord zip file not come with adb.exe in the 'files' folder?

Hemingray

Aug 26, 2011
How long until we get an easier root method?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

This is an easy root method, If the DoomLord util don't work for you, download and install SuperOneClick v2.2, and the new V3 version of zergRush. Navigate to the "Exploits" folder in SOC's directory, and drop in the new zergRush file (overwrite the one that came with 2.2), then root away. This method works 100% for the VTAB as I ended up going that route with mine.

shawnph

Nov 15, 2011
V3 of this link worked:
[16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers

A couple of hints:

I couldn't get the drivers on the Vizio website to work with Windows 7. There is a post out there (don't have the link right now) that explains how to use the stock driver in the Android dev kit, add a few lines for the Vizio, and use that.

The adb.exe app included in the link above wouldn't recognize this driver and would just hang, waiting to try to detect the Vizio. So I copied adb.exe from the newest android dev kit, replaced the one in \files and it worked. It did take 2 tries. The process got stuck. So while connected, I unchecked USB debugging, let the process fail, re-checked USB debugging, and then ran it again. Success.

Now the next problem -- How is a symbolic link created to that pesky external SD card? That's the only reason I'm interested in any of this.

faithalone

Oct 1, 2011
Now the next problem -- How is a symbolic link created to that pesky external SD card? That's the only reason I'm interested in any of this.

Amen!! I think that is the main thing we all are waiting for - shame that we have to go through this process to get there...

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
V3 of this link worked:
The adb.exe app included in the link above wouldn't recognize this driver and would just hang, waiting to try to detect the Vizio. So I copied adb.exe from the newest android dev kit, replaced the one in \files and it worked. It did take 2 tries. The process got stuck. So while connected, I unchecked USB debugging, let the process fail, re-checked USB debugging, and then ran it again. Success.

It appears that the adb.exe version included with Doomlord's zip is quite an old one (dated 2010), while the one contained in SuperOneClick is from 2011. That is probably the reason why the adb from DoomLord fails.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
V3 of this link worked:
[16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers

A couple of hints:

I couldn't get the drivers on the Vizio website to work with Windows 7. There is a post out there (don't have the link right now) that explains how to use the stock driver in the Android dev kit, add a few lines for the Vizio, and use that.

I believe that the thread with suggestions on getting the drivers to work is this one at XDA.

As far as the sd card there are probably a couple of options.

1) A symlink that makes the external card appear to the system at /sdcard. I am not sure what this does with the internal storage.

2) Modify how the system mounts the internal memory and mount that at a different mount point and then mount the external sd card at /sdcard. I think this might be the best way to go. It would open up using the internal memory for another use. On some devices with a similar stock setup to the VTAB the only option that worked was to swap the mount point as the system wouldn't accept other solutions. I am not familiar with the details.

I suggest that some thought be put into this so that no one ends up with an unusable device.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I hate to derail this thread. But the mount points appear to be in /etc/vold.fstab

I was able to copy that off to sd card, edit it, but can't put it back because the file system is read-only.

I think I'll wait for someone else to figure this out and post the step-by-step.

I also see /sdcard in the root directory as well as under /mnt. I don't know if I created that by accident or if it was already there.

Why don't we start a new thread about remounting the sd card.

Ok I did - thread here.