Root !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roly01

Nov 16, 2011
successful root attempt here on a mac works like a charm! anyone know how we can remove this vizio skin i really dont like it

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
successful root attempt here on a mac works like a charm! anyone know how we can remove this vizio skin i really dont like it

You don't have to remove it to use something else and I don't know if it provides any other services in the background. I use Launcher pro.

You can read about some alternatives here.

If you want to try "eliminating" the Vizio launcher you can use an app to "freeze" it. I use Titanium backup (paid version), but there are other options for freezing apps. Make sure that you have another launcher installed before freezing the stock launcher. Freezing an app is a good way to test if it effects any other aspects of the device's operation and can easily reversed.

jamesgb

Nov 17, 2011
You guys are awesome! I have an old Droid that can only do ad hoc wifi tethering. I was able to root my Vizio and edit the wpa_supplicant file so it can now see adhoc networks and tether through my cell phone!!! Wohoo!

birdcrazie

Nov 3, 2011
This is an easy root method, If the DoomLord util don't work for you, download and install SuperOneClick v2.2, and the new V3 version of zergRush. Navigate to the "Exploits" folder in SOC's directory, and drop in the new zergRush file (overwrite the one that came with 2.2), then root away. This method works 100% for the VTAB as I ended up going that route with mine.

I tried this and it hangs on "daemon started successfully" just like doomlord

Hemingray

Aug 26, 2011
I tried this and it hangs on "daemon started successfully" just like doomlord

Make sure your tab is plugged into your PC, and not a USB hub. Also make sure your cable is good. (I used the one that came with my tab). Also make sure you're using the latest SOC version.

Forgot to add, kill any other tasks that may be using ADB before trying this.

scheel78

Nov 17, 2011
Im hanging up on the drivers. Im running vista on my laptop. downloaded drivers from vizio but windows does not recognize them as drivers?

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Im hanging up on the drivers. Im running vista on my laptop. downloaded drivers from vizio but windows does not recognize them as drivers?

Make sure that you are attempting to install the drivers as an administrator.

birdcrazie

Nov 3, 2011
Make sure your tab is plugged into your PC, and not a USB hub. Also make sure your cable is good. (I used the one that came with my tab). Also make sure you're using the latest SOC version.

Forgot to add, kill any other tasks that may be using ADB before trying this.

tab is plugged into PC
cable that came with tab
latest SOC

+ uninstalled drivers, restarted.
plugged back into PC, drivers installed
tried both SOC & doom
still stops on daemon started successfully

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
tab is plugged into PC
cable that came with tab
latest SOC

+ uninstalled drivers, restarted.
plugged back into PC, drivers installed
tried both SOC & doom
still stops on daemon started successfully

If you are on windows vista or Windows 7 make sure you install the driver as an admin and run SOC as an admin.

To test your connection with adb:

After installing the drivers open a command prompt in the folder where the adb.exe is located at, make sure USB debugging is on and connect your VTAB to your computer.

Now type "adb devices" without the quotes and you should see:

D:\Android\tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
Your serial number here device

If this does not work then adb is not connecting to your VTAB.

For me the version of adb that is packaged with the doom script does not connect, but the version packaged with SOC 2.2 does. I copied the zergRush exploits from doom's script to the exploit folder on SOC 2.2 and used SOC. I am on WinXP Pro

birdcrazie

Nov 3, 2011
If you are on windows vista or Windows 7 make sure you install the driver as an admin and run SOC as an admin.

To test your connection with adb:

After installing the drivers open a command prompt in the folder where the adb.exe is located at, make sure USB debugging is on and connect your VTAB to your computer.

Now type "adb devices" without the quotes and you should see:

D:\Android\tools>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
Your serial number here device

If this does not work then adb is not connecting to your VTAB.

For me the version of adb that is packaged with the doom script does not connect, but the version packaged with SOC 2.2 does. I copied the zergRush exploits from doom's script to the exploit folder on SOC 2.2 and used SOC. I am on WinXP Pro

I am on XP home. This is a little over my head, I dont know how to open a prompt in a folder. I am not computer illiterate, I use to build all my computers, but is has been a few years. Can I manually install the google usb drivers from device manager?