Root !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
I am on XP home. This is a little over my head, I dont know how to open a prompt in a folder. I am not computer illiterate, I use to build all my computers, but is has been a few years. Can I manually install the google usb drivers from device manager?

go here - make sure the tab for power toys is selected.

Download and install the Open Command Window here tool and install

Now open windows explorer by right clicking on the My Computer icon and selecting explore.

Navigate to where the root tool has been downloaded.

When you get to where you see adb.exe right click on the folder in the left pane and select "Open Command prompt here"

Click on the image links below to see more help.

Image One

Image Two

androidluv

Nov 11, 2011
great, 4 days after I return the Vizio because no one has had any luck rooting it...boom. Its rooted. Wonder if I can take this new one I got back to wally world and get my vtab back.!

birdcrazie

Nov 3, 2011
go here - make sure the tab for power toys is selected.

Download and install the Open Command Window here tool and install

Now open windows explorer by right clicking on the My Computer icon and selecting explore.

Navigate to where the root tool has been downloaded.

When you get to where you see adb.exe right click on the folder in the left pane and select "Open Command prompt here"

Click on the image links below to see more help.

Image One

Image Two

It doesn't see it. in my computer it has it as 2 removable storage.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
It doesn't see it. in my computer it has it as 2 removable storage.

Then you probably do not have usb debugging mode on.

Settings key->Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging

Do not mount either the internal or external memory as usb storage when prompted. Juts hit the home key to get out of that screen.

Briefly to get root you need to:

1. Turn on usb debugging mode as described above, optionally turn on the setting to keep screen on while plugged in
  2. Turn on install non-market apps
  3. Connect your VTAB to your PC
  4. Do Not mount the internal or external memory as usb storage devices
  5. Run SOC with the latest zergRush exploit (copy the one form the doom script to the exploits folder on SOC 2.2)
This will not work if you can not see the device with adb. Don't try again until you can get your VTAB connected to your PC via adb.

No offense - if you do not understand how to do this you should not attempt it.

You can make your VTAB unusable if something goes wrong.

birdcrazie

Nov 3, 2011
Then you probably do not have usb debugging mode on.

Settings key->Settings->Applications->Development->USB Debugging

Do not mount either the internal or external memory as usb storage when prompted. Juts hit the home key to get out of that screen.

Briefly to get root you need to:
  1. Turn on usb debugging mode as described above, optionally turn on the setting to keep screen on while plugged in
  2. Turn on install non-market apps
  3. Connect your VTAB to your PC
  4. Do Not mount the internal or external memory as usb storage devices
  5. Run SOC with the latest zergRush exploit (copy the one form the doom script to the exploits folder on SOC 2.2)
This will not work if you can not see the device with adb. Don't try again until you can get your VTAB connected to your PC via adb.

No offense - if you do not understand how to do this you should not attempt it.

You can make your VTAB unusable if something goes wrong.

debugging is on. I have rooted phones before. I have followed all the instructions but still wont see my device.

bengl

Aug 28, 2010
Thank you! To All who developed the root for this tablet! Excellent work. Followed the instructions but used on WIN7 the different adb.exe. Rooted.

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
V3 of this link worked:
[16/Nov][ROOTING/UNROOTING] DooMLoRD's Easy Rooting Toolkit [v3.0](zergRush Exploit) - xda-developers

A couple of hints:

I couldn't get the drivers on the Vizio website to work with Windows 7. There is a post out there (don't have the link right now) that explains how to use the stock driver in the Android dev kit, add a few lines for the Vizio, and use that.

The adb.exe app included in the link above wouldn't recognize this driver and would just hang, waiting to try to detect the Vizio. So I copied adb.exe from the newest android dev kit, replaced the one in \files and it worked. It did take 2 tries. The process got stuck. So while connected, I unchecked USB debugging, let the process fail, re-checked USB debugging, and then ran it again. Success.

Now the next problem -- How is a symbolic link created to that pesky external SD card? That's the only reason I'm interested in any of this.

Shawnph: Thanks for the tip. I could not get this to work until I did your tip:

"The process got stuck. So while connected, I unchecked USB debugging, let the process fail, re-checked USB debugging, and then ran it again. Success."

I am not sure why this fixed it but thanks again!

Tcsviz77

Sep 3, 2011
I now have a rooted VTAB1008, no problems at all rooted 1st try. Thanks for all the hard work guys. Now to get clockworkmod to make a recovery image and someone else like cyanogen to make some romes for it.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

LadyAngler

Nov 16, 2011
Are we able to unroot should we need to? How do we go about getting Cyanogenmod to make us recovery... How do I support the cause?

Thank you + nice work rrpr and doomlord. :)

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
Are we able to unroot should we need to?

For Unroot, there is a link on DoomLord's post. I have not tried that. Just be careful doing this as you will be deleting items from the system folders.

How do we go about getting Cyanogenmod to make us recovery... How do I support the cause?
First, we should try to get Clockwork Mod recovery. I believe, some posters on xda are starting on this. Hopefully they will get something going.

Thank you + nice work rrpr and doomlord. :)
You are welcome. The real work was done by Ch4lky and I just did the testing and logging. I linked to his xda posting in my OP. Please thank his xda post if you have not yet already done so.

birdcrazie

Nov 3, 2011
Thanks for this. Unfortunately I can't get my computer to change from the generic driver, I will have to try to change it when I have more time

The Omen

Aug 16, 2010
I echo everyone else that is giving their thanks. I was able to root my tab with just the DoomLord Root after I followed the instructions on setting my driver correctly. Fun times ahead!