Rooted NC suddenly stops working. This newbie needs help, pls.

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
Thanks, Darmeen. I didn't get as far as post #3 as I was trying to get the earlier part to work.

While I'm not used to needing it, I appreciate the hand-holding...

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
Thanks, @Darmeen.

Okay, after removing CWR, I was able to reboot to the Home screen. I then re-flashed CWR, so now I guess I'm back to the point of installing the kernel, etc. Why is it recommended to install a different kernel, and how do I know which one to install? Should I just go with the stock 2.1 or try to go with Froyo or HC? What are the advantages? And I noticed you (and others) show Phiremod in your signatures. Is that a different kernel, OS, or what?

Also, does the OC come into play with the new kernel, or is that a separate step?

Lastly, I found my Titanium backup from before. Is it better for me to go through and reinstall/setup the apps from scratch, or can I just do a restore of this backup?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Okay...a kernel is typically referred to for overclocking purposes. So if you don't want to overclock your CPU, you don't need a new kernel. If you are going to install a new kernel, make sure to get the one for whatever ROM you are running. If you are running the B&N version of android, then make sure to use the oc kernel for android 2.1...if want to install a new ROM (phiremod, nookie froyo, CM7, etc) then you would want the oc kernel for froyo/cm7

Phiremod is a custom ROM. I am running v2BETA...I overwrote the B&N version of android and installed a new OS. It means there is no more quicknav button (that little arrow button above the n hardkey) As far as I am concerned, it is the most stable custom ROM at this time.

It would certainly be easier to just do the restore from Titanium...

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
Okay...a kernel is typically referred to for overclocking purposes. So if you don't want to overclock your CPU, you don't need a new kernel. If you are going to install a new kernel, make sure to get the one for whatever ROM you are running. If you are running the B&N version of android, then make sure to use the oc kernel for android 2.1...if want to install a new ROM (phiremod, nookie froyo, CM7, etc) then you would want the oc kernel for froyo/cm7

Phiremod is a custom ROM. I am running v2BETA...I overwrote the B&N version of android and installed a new OS. It means there is no more quicknav button (that little arrow button above the n hardkey) As far as I am concerned, it is the most stable custom ROM at this time.

It would certainly be easier to just do the restore from Titanium...

This is very helpful. Other than the loss of the quicknav button, why do you prefer Phiremod over the B&N ROM? I do want to OC my NC, so I'll start by installing the stock 2.1 kernel and work on extending battery life. Then I'll try the Titanium restore.

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
Update:

- I installed the stock kernel and followed the steps to increase the max speed (800) using setCPU. I haven't noticed any difference, but that may be due to other issues.
- Android Market is not working. I'm virtually certain I had it working while following the rooting instructions, but it's not working now. Is there a way to fix it post-root, or should I start over?
- the touch sensitivity is horrid. I have followed the tips I read about the known issue with sensitivity, but to no avail. It's like, when I start typing it takes several taps for it to "realize" I'm typing before recognizing the sequence of letters. But any pause requires several "wake up" taps before it starts recognizing the flow again.
- when doing the restore from Titanium Backup, most of my apps were unable to restore because they appeared to be crossed out. I read that this means the app was subsequently uninstalled after the last backup, but that's not the case in 75% of the apps there. Is it because of the re-rooting, or the new kernel, or something else, that makes it think these apps had been uninstalled?

I am willing to go back to stock and start over, but before I do I thought I'd check here to see if I could do a fix instead. If/when I do go back, I think I'll run for awhile without the modified kernel to see if things are better.

As always, thanks for your help.
melrowgo

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
The big reason I like phiremod over the B&N os is that phiremod is Android 2.2 which gives us Adobe Flash support, along with access to a greater amount of apps not able to run on 2.1(the b&n OS)

It sounds like something is messed up in your installation. You might want to try starting fresh again. I know it sucks, but it is better to have a clean install and no worries about what else might be messed up.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
If you start over, there is no need to 'load' the stock kernel or use setcpu, as the maxspeed is set by default.