Rooted Nook doesn't run Nook app

shetrick

Sep 3, 2011
So I got bored and rooted my Nook Color last night. I never used Android before, but I'm fairly comfortable with it now. I have installed numerous apps (including Kindle!!), but I can't install Nook for Android - it tells me that the app is not compatible. There must be a way to run Nook on my Nook - any suggestions??

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
What did you root it with? CM7? Phiremod? Something else? Are you saying there is no download button for the Nook App in the Market? If so just go into Manage Apps and look for Market, then tap Clear Cache and Clear Data.

Last edited:

shetrick

Sep 3, 2011
I used CM7. The nook app (and others) don't even have a download because they are "incompatible".

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
What version of CM7 are you on? I have CM7 on my NC and I was able to download the Nook app and never had an app tell me it was incompatible. Are you trying to download from the Market app or the web version?

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
I found the same result with Nook app for a few days. B&N Nook made some changes last week or so and things went wonky, the reader has changed a bit and changed again.
I loaded the reader from the nook website but had issues then loaded from the market and got the incompatible response Shetrick got, went to system > applications > market and redid clear data once again. Then Nook reader loaded OK. Nook must be making adjustments to the reader app still.
Seems alright now.

shetrick

Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion! I was hoping that would resolve it for me as well, but I have now done that several times with no luck.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I would wipe and re-root. It sounds like something went wrong the first time.

ntowl

Sep 13, 2011
I just got a second nook and rooted it to CM7. When I go to the Market and try and load the Nook reader app, the install button is missing. Same thing with the Kindle app. I used my computer to access the android Market and hit the install button. When it asked me what device to send it to, the Bn NookColor option is greyed out and it says "the item is not compatible with your device"

This is strange since my first nook is using the same build and I have both the Nook and Kindle readers installed. I would try and delete the apps from my first unit, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to load it back on. Anyone know a workaround this?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I just got a second nook and rooted it to CM7. When I go to the Market and try and load the Nook reader app, the install button is missing. Same thing with the Kindle app. I used my computer to access the android Market and hit the install button. When it asked me what device to send it to, the Bn NookColor option is greyed out and it says "the item is not compatible with your device"

This is strange since my first nook is using the same build and I have both the Nook and Kindle readers installed. I would try and delete the apps from my first unit, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to load it back on. Anyone know a workaround this?

Welcome to the forum. Please use the search feature-this has been discussed many times, including in this thread. On your Nook, go to settings, manage apps and look for the Market. Then tap clear cache and clear data. Don't reboot, just go back into the Market and those apps should be available. If not, you've done something wrong in the rooting process. I am running CM7 and have the Nook, Kindle, and Kobo apps so I know they do work and are not incompatible.

ntowl

Sep 13, 2011
Hey Sue! I did use the search feature, which is what lead me to this thread. Like Shetrick, I tried the suggested method of clearing the cache and data and it didn't work. It isn't an issue with the root. The web based Android Marketplace is saying the Nook and Kindle readers are incompatible with the Bn NookColor. On the Marketplace on the nook itself, the Download button is simply missing. On other apps the Download button is there.

I believe it has to do with the new upgraded Marketplace. I found that if I reverted to the old Marketplace app, it would allow me to install the Nook and Kindle app.

To revert to the old Marketplace:

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications then select Market.

In the new window that opens up, hit the button "Uninstall updates" It will ask you if you want to uninstall all updates to the system application. Select OK. It will ask you again if you want to uninstall the update. Select OK. After it finishes, select OK.

Go back to the home screen and select the Market app. You will get the Terms of Service screen, select Accept. As soon as the app starts, hit the search bar and look for the nook or Kindle app. I found that if you wait too long, it will close the Market app and automatically update. If that happens, just go through the steps above to uninstall the update and try again. When you are actually searching for apps, it will not dump you out and update. The Marketplace startup screen should be white and the bar on the top should be gray. If the startup screen is grey and the bar on the top is hatched with diagonal lines, that is the updated Marketplace and you need to try it again.

The current version of the Marketplace app is 3.0.27 and it it 7.43 MB. The old version is 2.3.3 and is 1.2 MB. I haven't figured out how to stop it from updating yet. However I have been able to revert back whenever I want. Funny thing is that once I had the apps installed using the old Marketplace, the Open and Uninstall buttons show up on the Nook and Kindle pages in the new Marketplace. Also if I go back to the web based Marketplace, it still says "Bn NookColor This item is not compatible with your device" even though it is currently installed on the CM7 Nook.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Ntowl thank you, I did what you suggested and I was finally able to install my favourite mini boat browser that I installed on my other card when I had the old market but couldn't . on this one after the market updated. Great to have you here with your knowledge!Gloria

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I don't know if it's the new market. I downloaded my Nook, Kindle, and Kobo apps from the new market and the Nook app just updated with no problems. I had to redownload everything, which is a little annoying, but it works fine. The only difference is I have a N2A card (got it to review for a tech blog I write for) instead of a DIY root. Very strange.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Another option you might try is one I have had a great deal of success with. The main compatibility issue you are running into is the screen resolution of cm7 which is 161. You need to change the resolution to 160. There are 2 ways to do this. There is an app called lcd density changer which will allow you to make the change but changes do not last once you reboot. The other option is to use root explorer or another file explorer if you wish. Go to /system/build.prop and change the resolution to 160 under other build properties. Save and exit. This will make a permanent change to the screen resolution allowing you to have access to the market without those pesky lack of download buttons. Just sayin....

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Great to know Moshe, if I ever get tired to go back and fort between the old and new market, I'll use your suggestiongg

trjcasper

May 17, 2011
As someone else pointed out the new market is device aware preventing the install of certain apps. Once you revert tot he old market by uninstalling the updates, use titanium backup to freeze "market updater." That will prevent future updates to the device aware version of market.