rooted Stock OS, OC kernel, bluetooth?

snehne

Jul 22, 2011
What I have: rooted NC (1.2), stock OS. Things seem to work (Market, etc.), and I have GMaps, skype etc. installed. Of course, GMap is not fully functional due to the lack of location info, and skype has no voice due to the lack of a mic.

What I want: to have bluetooth GPS and headset so skype/gmaps would fully work.

I have read success stories of BT access from people using CM7 or other non-stock OSes. I have also read that the newest OC kernel contains BT support. I am wondering

[1] would installing the OC kernel over stock OS allow me to access BT? and
[2] what other software do I need to install to get BT service for headset and gps?

I would really like to keep the stock OS because mostly I use it as a book reader.

Advices would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Sean, a few things here. 1) Not all kernels are compatible with all ROMs 2) The Nook can't do voice even through bluetooth 3) Gmaps works without GPS through wifi triangulation.

If you want BT to work you will most likely have to use a custom ROM. I am not aware of working BT with a rooted Nook regardless of the kernel. The only thing the stock reader is able to do over the B&N app is the "Read to Me" function. Otherwise you are able to read Nook books just fine with the B&N app. so don't be worried about losing the ablity to read books if you go to a custom ROM.

If you do want to keep the ability to use the rooted OS though, you can run custom ROMs from a bootable SD card. Check this thread out for more info http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

If you want more accurate map data there a a couple of threads in the apps and games section dealing with connecting a BT gps Nook Color Apps and Games

Cheers :D

JP

RASTAVIPER

Feb 21, 2011
About headset, you just need to activate Bt and then pair Nook and headset.
About gps, there are many ways to do that through either a phone or through a Bt GPS receiver.check the topics in the previous post.

Sent from Nook Color on Cm7 Nightly 129 @1.300Mhz

snehne

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply and the links re BT gps.

[1] The OC kernel by Darlingrin seems to work with stock ROM; so I am wondering if anyone actually used its BT service. I had some minimal experience with Linux in general, but nothing particular with Android; I suppose the device drivers (e.g. BT support) come with the "kernel" (not in the strict meaning, but as the "kernel package" as opposed to the apps); or do they?

[2] Is the inability of doing voice a hardware limit of Nook? I seem to have the impression that someone reported being able to use voice via BT headset (albeit over a very short distance, like a few inches), but I could not find that post anymore, so I might got it wrong.

If someone was able to use voice via BT, I'll appreciate the info on your ROM/kernel combination.

[3] I have not been able to get location service working on the Nook (from what I read this seems a known issue) -- I always got "location is unavailable" or something like that. From wifi gmaps should at least tell which state I am in, but it always reloads the last map I viewed at startup, even when it was for another state. I also tried many "fake location" apps and none worked.

Thanks again.

Sean

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Try a search on the map issue, I believe that may have come up in a thread here before. There is no known problem using wifi triangulation with gmaps on the nook so you most likely just have to tweak the settings to get it to work.

The lack of voice input is a hardware issue. The Nook was simply never intended to use voice.

snehne

Jul 22, 2011
Thanks again. (I commented on the other thread re the BT headset matter. I am not sure if I should link to the other forum, so I did not. but searching "bluetooth experience" will lead to the thread.)

The best part of the Nook is the screen. I was at Staples over the weekend thinking about buying the Dell streak 7. It has everything feature wise, but the display is not comparable to that of the Nook. It's a pity nothing is ideal ...

Sean