Rooted Vizio Ad-Hoc Hotspot Fix

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
I rooted my VTAB successfully (yeah!) but for some unknown reason I am unable to apply the ad-hoc wireless hotspot fix

I did this without any problem with my Nook Color:

[FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC! - xda-developers

But when I try to type

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

I get the error:
mount: Operation not permitted

I would greatly appreciate any help. THANKS!!

Last edited:

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Me too. It works! I did it with the files and script on the above link, but with Root Explorer and Terminal Emulator. I had to use the SU command to get root powers and then to substitute the "cp" command for the "Push" command in the terminal emulator program.

Last edited:

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
I always get "Device or resource is busy" when running eiher adhoc or infrastructure from the terminal Emulator.
What's wrong?

Edit: Never mind. Turn off Wifi before getting to the Terminal.

Last edited:

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Works just fine.

Under adhoc it connects to both infrastructure and adhoc.

Any reason to use infrastructure script at all?

Last edited:

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Not that I see. Wireless detects both types of networks after the "adhoc" script runs.

mui

Nov 28, 2011
I got the fix on my vtab1008 but after it ran I still couldn't connect to my rooted phone with CM7 running wireless tether for root but then someone pointed out to me that CM7 has added a tethering option to the wireless settings and that did the trick. Looks like I'll be uninstalling wireless tether for root now.

Attaway

Nov 28, 2011
New to Android platform and language.
I think I have rooted my vizio but does not really look any different.
Looks as if I have full access to my Root Explorer all.

Looking for some easy Instructions for a novice to add the Ad-Hoc option?

Please help, and thanks

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

BarryD9545

Nov 24, 2011
Seems the latest update removed the rooted ad-hoc fix...sorta hosed up a majority of what I use the tablet for.

Anyone seen a new method yet?

Umgixxer

Dec 19, 2011
Im a lil confused about this ad hoc fix. Ad hoc is supposed to enable the tablet to get wifi from lets say a phone or something correct?
I have a rooted and custom rom on my Samsung Captivate in which I can make my phone a wireless hotspot and my Vtab connects to it just fine but it does get slow or almost unresponsive at times. Does this "ad hoc fix" fix that or something?

gjhuff

Oct 30, 2011
Im a lil confused about this ad hoc fix. Ad hoc is supposed to enable the tablet to get wifi from lets say a phone or something correct?
I have a rooted and custom rom on my Samsung Captivate in which I can make my phone a wireless hotspot and my Vtab connects to it just fine but it does get slow or almost unresponsive at times. Does this "ad hoc fix" fix that or something?

Wireless data, at 3g speeds, is highly erratic in my experience. This is true particularly inside of office buildings. All that can be said for tethering, or even 3G access internally, is that it is better than nothing.

BarryD9545

Nov 24, 2011

There are two methods to connect to any wireless network. "Infrastucture" is the most common, and how computers, smart phones and tablets connect to networks when you go to a Starbuck's, Barnes & Noble, an airport, hotel, local internet cafe or even the wireless internet in your home. The VPad has no problem with that, and since you can connect to the hotspot in your phone, then the phone is obviously using the infrastructure method. (I'm assuming you've got the latest Vizio update.)

"Ad-hoc" allows a second device to share an internet connection that a first device has established an internet connection; kind of like reading over someone's shoulder rather than buying your own newspaper.

From the user side, such as with a tablet that *is* ad-hoc capable, you wouldn't really notice the difference between the two methods as you connect to the internet.

So, to answer the final bit of your question: No, the ad-hoc fix will NOT correct the occasional slow down or lost connection with your tablet.

If the Vtab is tethering (connecting to the internet ) with the Captivate, your as good to go as you could hope for.

Dec 20, 2011
New to Android platform and language.
I think I have rooted my vizio but does not really look any different.
Looks as if I have full access to my Root Explorer all.

Looking for some easy Instructions for a novice to add the Ad-Hoc option?

Please help, and thanks

If you have the "superuser" app after rooting then you are rooted

Umgixxer

Dec 19, 2011
There are two methods to connect to any wireless network. "Infrastucture" is the most common, and how computers, smart phones and tablets connect to networks when you go to a Starbuck's, Barnes & Noble, an airport, hotel, local internet cafe or even the wireless internet in your home. The VPad has no problem with that, and since you can connect to the hotspot in your phone, then the phone is obviously using the infrastructure method. (I'm assuming you've got the latest Vizio update.)

"Ad-hoc" allows a second device to share an internet connection that a first device has established an internet connection; kind of like reading over someone's shoulder rather than buying your own newspaper.

From the user side, such as with a tablet that *is* ad-hoc capable, you wouldn't really notice the difference between the two methods as you connect to the internet.

So, to answer the final bit of your question: No, the ad-hoc fix will NOT correct the occasional slow down or lost connection with your tablet.

If the Vtab is tethering (connecting to the internet ) with the Captivate, your as good to go as you could hope for.

well stated thanks, and im running 1.4 rooted