Rootin' Tootin'

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
pschatzy,

Hope you find something that suits your needs.

Based on some of your other posts I think that you got a bad unit.

If you want the best selling device I hope you like your new iPad.

As far as the remote goes I have run the app once to test it, so it's not as important to me. If Vizio addresses the sd card issue then I won't have any need for root.

The wife and I are enjoying using the VTAB.

sora72

Aug 22, 2011
Pretty happy with my vtab too, even though I do think Vizio's rushed on to the market too fast. But they seem to be responsive to us and keep developing for it. Hopefully we'll see ice cram sandwich or another os upgrade soon.

As far as video chat, they just announced ooVoo availability today. I installed it but haven't tried it out. Anyone else?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

skruid

Aug 23, 2011
So I chatted with a vizio tech whatevwr you want to call it and asked them how to root this tablet and he said I can help you but unfortunately it is against company policy to tell some one how to root the tablet, damn it, I knew they were gonna say that but I tried it anyways

Sent from my DROID using Android Tablet Forum

skruid

Aug 23, 2011
I also found out that rooting this device has some thing to do with they way the sdcard is mounted, but also found out that once you root there is no way to unroot the via tablet,
And of course it. Voids your warrenty lol, maybe I will find out more, I keep asking some one, an engineer we will say, but he only gives me that you need a sdcard to root, just a hint that is it

skruid

Aug 23, 2011
I think gingerbreak doesn't work because of the way the tablet mounts sdcard, because with out a sdcard in the device if you use a file manger you can still goto sdcard, which is user memeory, it just shows it as sdcard, if you put an sdcard in it still defaults to user memory sdcard which isn't your sdcard, so I think when gingerbreak goes to mount sdcard, that is why if is mounting, if some how you could get the tablet to mount the actual sdcard (or get it to default to it) then maybe gingerbreak will work, just an idea, but just noticed today that that is the way the os operates storage, I am prolly wrong but ic anyone want to give it a try it might work, that is the only thing I can think why it was rooted with gingerbreak prerelease and now it doesn't work, worth a shot, I don't have an sdcard anymore to try it out with

YAMAFORD

Sep 16, 2011
So here is what we do know.
gingerbreak doesnt work.
We do have a recovery that would allow us to flash an update from the SD card.

So my guess is we need a stock ROM to modify for root then flash it.
Where can we get a stock rom? Would VIZIO be so kind as to email it to someone who had a problem but can still get to recovery?
Do we have anyone here with the skills to build such a rom?
Is the stock rom stored on the device already?
Does anyone know if they live near a dev that might be able to help us?

YAMAFORD

Sep 16, 2011
I think there may be a flaw in my theory. Even if we did build a rom say from a system dump, there recovery will probably look for the update to be signed by them. just thought id think out loud for a minute. I have nothing to back that statement up.

Qverse

Sep 19, 2011
Well i Have tried everything GingerBreak-v1.20_2, SuperOneClickv2.1.1-ShortFuse, Z4Root and No luck yet. Stock Rom is not in device. I have been able to install drivers on to my Win7 64bit and have used Android Commander look around inside. SuperOneClickv2.1.1-ShortFuse Exploits would have to modified Im guessing but not sure were to start. Just puzzled what is going on with the no interest on this baby? I will continue the search for answers.
:confused::confused: . This baby may not the be the fastest Tab out there but has promise

Last edited:

walrus

Dec 16, 2010
Maybe not the fastest, but most bang for your buck. I bet once people see them and how easy it is to operate more will be getting them, bet a tonight get sold before Christmas. It will get rooted just let them quit playing with the touch pad.

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
For anyone interested:

build.prop

Code:
# begin build properties
# autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
ro.build.id=GRH78C
ro.build.display.id=GRH78C
ro.build.version.incremental=eng.gituser.20110718.111643
ro.build.version.sdk=9
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.3.2
ro.build.date=Mon Jul 18 11:17:29 PDT 2011
ro.build.date.utc=1311013049
ro.build.type=user
ro.build.user=gituser
ro.build.host=superlinuxcomp
ro.build.tags=release-keys
ro.product.model=VTAB1008
ro.product.brand=Vizio
ro.product.name=VTAB1008
ro.product.device=VTAB1008
ro.product.board=VTAB1008
ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
ro.product.manufacturer=Vizio
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US
ro.wifi.channels=
ro.board.platform=
# ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
ro.build.product=VTAB1008
# Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
ro.build.description=VTAB1008-user 2.3.2 GRH78C eng.gituser.20110718.111643 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=Vizio/VTAB1008/VTAB1008:2.3.2/GRH78C/eng.gituser.20110718.111643:user/release-keys
# end build properties

#
# ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
#
ro.sf.lcd_density=240
persist.sys.timezone=America/Los_Angeles
ro.sf.hwrotation=270
ro.tether.denied=true
ro.com.google.clientidbase=android-vizio
persist.sys.language=en
persist.sys.country=US
ro.board.platform=VTAB1008
ro.com.google.locationfeatures=1
keyguard.no_require_sim=true
ro.product.board=VTAB1008
ro.board.platform=VTAB1008
ro.config.notification_sound=F1_MissedCall.ogg
ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED
ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.3_r1
net.bt.name=Android
dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

void.fstab

Code:
## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat ([email protected])
## 

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...> 
## label        - Label for the volume
## mount_point  - Where the volume will be mounted
## part         - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
# CBT modify start,Summer Liu,2011-07-06
## CBT modify start to fix mantis issue#904 Some games from Gamloft cannot be run on Brian 
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/internalstorage/external auto /devices/platform/sdhci-pxa.0/mmc_host/mmc1
#dev_mount internalstorage /mnt/internalstorage 4 /devices/platform/sdhci-pxa.2/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/external auto /devices/platform/sdhci-pxa.0/mmc_host/mmc1
dev_mount internalstorage /mnt/sdcard 4 /devices/platform/sdhci-pxa.2/mmc_host/mmc0
## CBT modify end to fix mantis issue#904 Some games from Gamloft cannot be run on Brian 
# CBT modify end,Summer Liu,2011-07-06

## Example of a dual card setup
# dev_mount left_sdcard  /sdcard1  auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1
# dev_mount right_sdcard /sdcard2  auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc1

## Example of specifying a specific partition for mounts
# dev_mount sdcard /sdcard 2 /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc1

I had a request for the build.prop on my site and thought I would post them. I was able to get them with adb, but can't write altered files back to the VTAB.

rf1

Oct 17, 2011
Thinking about returning my VTAB. Too many dumb configuration mistakes that root could easily fix.

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
Yeah, too bad about the lack of rooting interest. If this VTAB was rooted, I bet many of the annoyances and "deal killers" (bluetooth support, SDcard problem, etc.) would disappear. I wish I could help the rooting community out by making a contribution but I have no development skills to offer. I would be happy to beta-test or help in other ways.

karlkarloff

Oct 24, 2011
Hey, just got a Vtab and am currently messing about with it. I also own an Acer A500 and a HTC Inspire, as well as a Gtab and an old Archos 5IMT. All my devices either are currently, or in the case of the Acer, have been rooted. It seems that the manufacturers are making it harder and harder to gain root access on devices these days, where in order to gain/maintain root, you can't install OTA updates. I'll dig around and see if I can find something out, although I'm sure all you fine people who have owned the device longer than I have already run through all the possibilities. Can't hurt to have a look though. Initial impression is that it is not nearly as snappy as my A500, but then I really wasn't expecting it to be. Haven't really messed with it too much, still waiting for it to get full charge before I start playing. Which as I'm reading on here, takes an insanely long time. Mostly bought it to use as a somewhat more featured e-reader, and for my wife to check emails and junk. Anyway, just wanted to throw out the traditional "Hi, I'm new here" greeting and put my vote in for getting this thing rooted.

droid_dude

Oct 10, 2011
Welcome to the group karlkarloff. We have been waiting for any development on rooting but there seems to be a severe lack of activity. Too bad because this tablet would really be great if we could gain root access. This might solve many of the main flaws: SDcard issue, bluetooth connectivity, wifi hotspot isse, etc.

If you find rooting activity for this device please let us know. I saw a long thread over at XDA fourm website but it seemed to have died off....