Rootin' Tootin'

Jemalas

Oct 3, 2011
Hey, I saw people were having luck with a program called gingerbreak. I'm not familiar enough myself with what I'm doing to mess. Any thoughts?

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I have tried the Gingerbreak C executable as well. I compiled it successfully on my Mac but no luck rooting. I don't think it is an issue with the SD card partition. The output of Gingerbreak shows that it did indeed find the correct external SD card partition from the /etc/vold.fstab file.

Ricollie

Nov 6, 2011
If Gingerbreak is an exe file you should be able to edit it with an exe editor. I would think it would be one simple line of code to change

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I don't think that this is an issue with the sdcard location. It looks like the gingerbread exploit has been patched on the vizio.

The code is a long C program and would need to be recompile.

rprr

Oct 7, 2011
I was able to set up a development system to compile programs for android on my Mac. Unfortunately, I have little to no knowledge of exploits and how to look for them. If someone experienced with rooting can see the source code for the available exploits for other android phones/tablets such as 1) zergRush, and 2) GingerBreak along with the Vizio System files perhaps a way to root the device can be found. Here are the links:

1) zergRush.c from https://github.com/revolutionary/zergRush/blob/master/zergRush.c
2) GingerBreak.c from [App] [26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers (See 2nd post which contains the source)
3) vizio file system Rooting Vizio Vtab - Full System Files Attached - xda-developers (Thanks to bjanice44)