Rooting 3.2

danielg5

May 3, 2011
Hello. I just rceived the 3.2 update today (the notification to download the update in northern Virginia), and I am wondering if anyone has developd a simple root tool for it yet. I havent seen this in a thread yet as it seems the 3.2 isnt widely distributed yet. I used iconiaroot with 3.1, and it worked like a charm. prior to that I used gingerbreak with 3.0.

I use my A500 with my company vpn. the specific tool we have has an android app, but it requires a rooted device. I like to have the most up-to-date software, but if I cant root 3.2, i hesitate to install the update because i actually do use my tablet as a work tool. If anyone has information on the subject, I wouod very much appreciate any input.

If there isn't a method available yet, then hopefully this thread will help track the process of possible solutions. Thanks!

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
I don't think 3.2 can be rooted but not sure. If I were you I'd go to the xda threads and search.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I don't think 3.2 can be rooted but not sure. If I were you I'd go to the xda threads and search.

Its only a matter of time.

@Danielg5: Have you looked at all the VPNs the tablet supports WITHOUT root?

danielg5

May 3, 2011
So, the question for now is: can I get the update back if i hit "Cancel" on the pop-up, and just want to update to 3.2 at a later time? or, can I download the update without installing it?

@Danielg5: Have you looked at all the VPNs the tablet supports WITHOUT root?

we have a hardware vpn that I believe requires its own custom software. so I don't think a generic vpn app will work with it, but i will give it a try. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
we have a hardware vpn that I believe requires its own custom software. so I don't think a generic vpn app will work with it, but i will give it a try. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Harware VPNs are nothing but Embedded Linux boxes running VPN software. Most of them specify the particular type of VPN software they use, and the Acer supports the most popular software models.
Google the brand name of the VPN box and start digging thru manuals. Unless this is some obscure brand you should be able to find a way to connect to it. I've connected to several different Cisco boxes with the Acer, more or less to prove it worked.

VPNs are mostly used between sites to connect campuses that are linked by an un-trusted network (the internet).
Its rare to find it used on-site (within your own buildings).