Rooting And Development For MID 1045

shunova64

Dec 6, 2012
Hi all, I've successfully rooted many android phones, but the MID1045 is the first tablet I've gotten. I'm looking to get some of the functionality of my rooted phones on my tablet (i.e. CWM, Google Apps, Superuser)

I've tried a few different methods to root the 1045 (SuperOneClick, DooM's, and the CobyADB utility) but the one that worked successfully for me was the Root With Recovery method by Bin4ry.

Since there isn't a dedicated thread for the MID1045, if anyone else knows of how to get Google Apps, CWM, the Play Store, and ROMs working on the MID1045, please share it here, as I'm a little lost. Thanks! :)

(p.s. Posted Stock sysdump in the Sticky thread)

Bbradf44

Dec 6, 2012
Thanks man! For play store I think you can flash gapps for ics. Is there a recovery with the root?

shunova64

Dec 6, 2012
Thanks man! For play store I think you can flash gapps for ics. Is there a recovery with the root?

Let me know how you flashed gapps to the device because I tried and it didn't work. I posted a stock recovery in the stickied development index thread, but its called root with recovery because that's the method used to root it.

Bbradf44

Dec 6, 2012
Have you tried flashing a clockwork mod recovery or twrp? This is actually the first I hearing this device can be rooted.some other places I've checked said it bricks the device

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The 1045 uses an Allwinner CPU, and therefore should be able to be rooted using the rooting utility in the sticky posts at the top of the forum. At this time however, there is no ClockworkMod recovery for the 1045, so it will be necessary to install the Google apps a different way. Using the 1042 ClockworkMod may not work since the screen resolution between the 1042 and 1045 is very different.

Please make system dumps and post them in the thread we have for the purpose.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yes make a complete backup before making any changes or you will regret it later on.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@shunova64 I see you tried to make a dump, your system dump is corrupt, you need to try again when you get a chance.

ssalavat

Dec 7, 2012
@shunova64, I really do need the dump of your coby mid1045, I just bricked mine. Please update your dump.

shunova64

Dec 6, 2012
The Rooting Utility in the Sticky post was not successful, and the even the dump created by the utility was apparently corrupt. I don't have the tablet with me as of now but I'll use adb to create new dump ASAP. The tablet does have a stock recovery, which I was able to use to install superuser (as the Root with Restore utility installs SuperSU, which I don't like)

I'll create another system dump and then try the Kindle Fire method to get Google Play working. Thanks for all your help.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The Rooting Utility in the Sticky post was not successful, and the even the dump created by the utility was apparently corrupt. I don't have the tablet with me as of now but I'll use adb to create new dump ASAP. The tablet does have a stock recovery, which I was able to use to install superuser (as the Root with Restore utility installs SuperSU, which I don't like)

I'll create another system dump and then try the Kindle Fire method to get Google Play working. Thanks for all your help.

Once your get a good dump we can help you get gapps and play store on your tablet.

also if you don't mind

adb shell

mount

busybox df -h

post output

Last edited:

ssalavat

Dec 7, 2012
Once your get a good dump we can help you get gapps and play store on your tablet.
also if you don't mind
adb shell
mount
busybox df -h
post output

Today I got Coby Kyros MID1045(8GB) from my friend, it is brand new, just arrived. I rooted it (successfully) by Root With Recovery method by Bin4ry. Then took system dump and uploaded it here. Below are the outputs of requested mount and df -h commands.

mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/nandd /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/nande /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandh /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_xattr,barrier=0,journal_checksum,data=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/nandi /mnt/private vfat ro,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mix
ed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:80 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime
=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/93:80 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_
utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

busybox df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 407.1M 44.0K 407.1M 0% /dev
tmpfs 407.1M 0 407.1M 0% /mnt/asec
tmpfs 407.1M 0 407.1M 0% /mnt/obb
/dev/block/nandd 252.0M 235.2M 16.8M 93% /system
/dev/block/nande 2.0G 109.3M 1.9G 5% /data
/dev/block/nandh 503.9M 8.4M 495.6M 2% /cache
/dev/block/nandi 15.9M 4.0K 15.9M 0% /mnt/private
/dev/block/vold/93:80 4.5G 228.3M 4.3G 5% /mnt/sdcard

df: /mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied

Last edited:

ssalavat

Dec 7, 2012
Here is my problem: I have my own Coby Kyros MID1045. I rooted it several weeks ago and after I tried to copy/flash/add Google Apps. My attempts left me with bricked device. Now it is not booting to the working space (desktop), it shows COBY logo, then Boot logo of android comes up and stays forever. In that state, I cannot connect to tablet through ADB, just shows up in devices USB Mass Storage that can not be accessed by any means. I can switch to Recovery mode (by tossing keys), however there is also ADB is not available. As I see, there are two possible ways from me: to try to unbrick by update.zip, or to try to flash an image prepared from Stock images that I posted in previous post. Can somebody advice me what to do next?
Thanks beforehand.

angus454

Dec 20, 2012
hi guys and gals ... I'm pleased to report I've been able to root and install Google Play on on friends MID1045, and I'd like to share how I did it. Before I begin though, a few quick words of thanks are in order to everyone in this thread as it formed the basis of how I pulled it off. I am not a regular visitor to this site, so please forgive me if questions you ask about my post remain unanswered for long periods of time. I'm not being rude, I'm just busy and this post is meant to express my gratitude and hopefully extend the knowledge base for this device with another approach to achieving functional Google Play access. Again, my sincerest thanks to this community and their work on this device.

Go get these things:

coby gen 3 USB driver ... http://www.upstatedigitools.com/Coby_Gen3_USB_Driver.zip ... On my server :)

root with restore Bin4ry_v18 ... Root MANY ANDROID! [Upd: 18.12.2012] - xda-developers

gapps-gb-20110828-signed ... http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=gapps-gb-20110828-signed&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xda-developers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D776405%26d%3D1320778351&ei=UzXTUNmkC83p0QHlqYDICw&usg=AFQjCNF682lcKRwYm8yKhHvljNJT9FNCJw&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ

cobyABD ... http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html ... this is an epic, must read post! You'll find the links in there.

root explorer ... this is a commercial product you'll need ot locate on your own. I suggest buying it.

the procedure:

1: hit the link ( the cobyABD link above) and follow through on everything under the first section, rooting and dump utility for windows. Follow it to the letter, and do not proceed to the next step ( below ) until you have achieved root and have created the system dump. If the process doesn't work for you from that post, use the 'root with restore' you grabbed above. this is what worked for me. You do not want to proceed with the next step until you have the SU icon in your app drawer.

2. Unzip the gapps file you downloaded. With your 1045 connected to your PC with USB file transfer enabled, copy these apk's over to the tablet.
Vending.apk / setupwizard.apk / marketupdater.apk / googleservicesframework.apk/setupwizard.apk. Open each one with root explorer and change the permissions so all have read and write permissions. Once that's done, copy them into the system/app folder and install the vending apk. Now reboot the tablet. It should now come up with the google sign in for google play.

Speculation, not hard truth! In other words, the following could be wrong, and I'll gratefully defer to those with greater knowledge to correct me:
Why do you need to change apk permissions? don't know, but once I did it worked.
Can I copy the other apk's in there too? I don't see why not, but only the ones from the gapps you unzipped.
What about the phonesky.apk? that's the updated version of the vending apk. I would think with permissions adjusted they should be interchangeable.
Is this 100% foolproof? Of course not :) Can you break, brick or otherwise maim your tablet by doing this? Yes. Luckily for you your dump file will save your bacon ;)

I hope this works for you as it did for me. Again, please do not be offended if your questions go unanswered, it's not personal :) Finally, another sincere thanks for everyone who has posted on this forum and in this thread; I am standing on the shoulders of giants.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Good post, but two things:

1. The Development Index thread includes a link to Coby ADB drivers.
2. These are ICS tablets. A Gingerbread Google apps package can cause major problems.