Rooting And Development For MID 1045

angus454

Dec 20, 2012
thank you for the heads-up on the GB packages... I should count myself lucky that my friends tablet hasn't had problems so far. There's no reason I can think of that the same procedure with ICS packages shouldn't work. I did forget one thing though, I posted my dump files for the 1045 so others can grab them if needed. Here's the URL: http://www.upstatedigitools.com/dump_MID1045.zip
Please feel free to mirror anywhere you'd like if so desired. thanks again :)

kavenfradejas

Dec 28, 2012
Hi all, I'm just new here. Thank you for all the Info's and guides that made me root my Kyros MID1045-8 tablet. The "root with restore Bin4ry_v18" from XDA forum is what works for me to root my device, I've also got the gapps for ics installed, but through the use of root explorer in which I copy paste all the files to its specific locations and changes the file permissions. I was so happy for what has the devices has been after I have rooted it. Installed some Play Store Apps and Games that made the device feature rich. It was running smooth until today when I tried to reboot it which put the device stuck on ANDROID boot screen. I've waited for so long like hours but still stuck on the boot screen. tried rebooting and resetting it but no luck. I'm also trying to boot in "Recovery Mode" and "Fastboot Mode" but can't figure out how. So guys, Please help me to get my device back to normal, and by the way I have made a Dump File which I think is good copy (Can't seem to find a good Dump for this device on the web). Thank you in advance.

Grifter357

Jan 18, 2013
Hello all,

I would like to share my experience in rooting and installing Google Play on my friend's Coby Kyros MID1045 (ICS 4.0.4) tablet. I got it working reading through this forum as well as others and everything was fine until I loaded some apps before returning the tablet to my friend this afternoon... I think I installed a bad app (or maybe it was the BusyBox update I installed)... Whatever the reason, the tablet got bricked (stuck at the "ANDROID" bootup logo) and not even wiping the /cache and /data (stock recovery mode via power button with volume+ combo) fixed the problem.... I guess I have to wait until someone figures out a way to restore a dump to it....

Nevertheless, here is what I did to get it to its working condition in the first place:

1. Follow the steps discussed by angus454 in the post earlier in this thread (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...rooting-development-mid1045-2.html#post261073) and get your MID1045 rooted. The method that worked for me was the "root with restore Bin4ry_v18".

1.5. If you can afford to, factory reset the MID1045 so that the tablet is working smoothly and all unnecessary apps are removed)

2. Get this version of gapps (Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120422-signed.zip) instead of the one listed by angus454 (my MID1045 was running ICS 4.0.4 so I got the matching gapps as listed in (Google Apps - RootzWiki).

3. Copy the following 3 apks from the gapps into /system/app and change the permissions to rw-rw-rw- (I used root explorer)
- GoogleLoginService.apk
- GoogleServicesFramework.apk
- Phonesky.apk

4. Install the Phonesky.apk application

5. Reboot the tablet. It should give a "Optimizing applications" message then Google Play should be working now... ^_^

dugfresh

Jan 19, 2013
I have a new MID1045 and the instructions by Grifter357 worked for me using "root with restore Bin4ry_v18". I noticed one thing...but I'm not sure if it's related or not. I no longer have sound and see a blank screen when trying to play a video. I have no sound via headphones as well.

As mentioned the tablet is new..so I'm not sure if it worked at all before...but is there any way to restore the original image? I tried a factory reset via settings...but that only seems to wipe user data. Any and All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance!!

CoolZone

Apr 18, 2013
I have succeeded to root and successfully install Play Store on the MID1045. I was wondering if there is any further progress on this like the possibility of installing custom ROMs, like a newer Android version.

kawboy76

Dec 27, 2012
CoolZone, I've been scouring the net for this same answer for about 6 weeks now. I've even gone as far as posting for help and even sending a few PMs on a couple different forums. So far, nothing. I've dabbled in porting clockworkmod recovery myself, but i'm too worried I'll brick the tablet, as i've heard others doing, and I haven't been able to find out how or if they were able to unbrick. If I were a bit more savvy on how to unbrick a device, I'd be a bit more willing to play with the limited knowledge I have. Anyway, long story short I think we're out of luck with this device.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Have you guys uploaded a dump? I am working on a 1042, I should be able to make recovery for both.

kawboy76

Dec 27, 2012
There was what I believe to be a good dump in the dump thread. I'll try to track it down and edit this post with a link to the exact location...otherwise I'll upload one myself later this evening.

The original. I'm not sure of the quality of this as the poster mentioned his tablet was bricked and was unclear if it was dumped before or if it was this dump that bricked it.

And my personal dump.

On a side note, since rooting this device and adding gapps by the method in this thread, I haven't been able to access recovery mode by holding buttons while booting (any combination i've tried only gets me to "safe mode" or through ADB (does a standard restart). the only way i've been able to get to the recovery menu is "system settings>backup & reset> recovery mode

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There was what I believe to be a good dump in the dump thread. I'll try to track it down and edit this post with a link to the exact location...otherwise I'll upload one myself later this evening.

The one you posted is corrupt useless.

Code:
gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

redo the dump.

Last edited:

kawboy76

Dec 27, 2012
Not sure which one you're saying is corrupt. Mine or the other one posted. Either way, I'll make a fresh dump tomorrow night and post that just to make sure.

kawboy76

Dec 27, 2012
Sorry it took a bit longer than I expected. Not sure which end it's on, but I'm having trouble with ADB randomly disconnecting. Here it is New Dump

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Sorry it took a bit longer than I expected. Not sure which end it's on, but I'm having trouble with ADB randomly disconnecting. Here it is New Dump

This dump is corrupt. Before uploading your dump extract the system, if it doesn't extract for you it's corrupt. No use in uploading a corrupt dump.

Last edited:

kavenfradejas

Dec 28, 2012
Hi All, my uploaded dump which is posted here is a good dump. I'm also waiting for any1 to make a custom recovery for our 1045. This tablet has allot of potential. So i'll will keep on waiting that someday some1 will get us the custom recovery. BTW, I've bricked my tablet after messing with busybox installation. I've send it to coby and got it repaired already. So before I messed with it again I want to have a recovery to start with if anything goes wrong again.