Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
I was able to root my Kyros and add GApps with the 7015A update thanks to all the resources in the couple of threads and the great YouTube video. I know as a newbie to the Android world that it can be kind of confusing and seem like the language is to hard to understand. So I figured I would help out and try to list the process step by step from a newbie's perspective and how I did it. If I am missing anything, please feel free to add.

7015A Root and GApps addition

This tutorial will require a MicroSD memory card. That is how I did it, so it's the only way I know.

1. Using your home computer, download these files to you MicroSD card (save these files directly to the main level of the memory card and not in a folder on the card)

Z4Root
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

2. Open the link below on your home computer using the Windows Explore. Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder, and copy the flash_image file. You will now want to copy and paste this file onto your microSD memory card's root directory. Make sure your device can actually read the card (must be FAT/FAT32 format).

flash_image.zip
Alternately from:
new-update-zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-4

3. Insert your memory card into your Kyros.

4. Using your Kyros, go to LYSESOFT and download AndExplorer. Download version 1.7, the apk file. Install this application.

5. In the AppsLib market, search for Terminal Emulator. Download this app to your Kyros.

6. Open the AndExplorer application. Click on the root file at the top of the list of folder. Then go to your sdcard folder. Here you will see the files that you saved to your MicroSD card in the first steps.

7. Click on the Z4Root file to install it. Then open it. On the next screen there will be an option to do a temporary root or a permanent root. Select permanent root. Once the root is complete, the tablet will reboot.

9. Once the tablet has rebooted, you should see the Z4Root icon and the SuperUser icon in your apps menu.

10. Now you will want to open your Teminal Emulator app. Use this app while holding your tablet in potrait mode/style. You may get an error and the keyboard hidden in landscape mode/syle.

11. Once it is open, type the follwing:

Code:
su
(and then hit enter)

12. Wait, and allow the Super User access when the prompt pops up.

13. Run the Terminal Emulator app again. Once again type:

Code:
su
(and then hit enter)

14. The keyboard should stay on the screen and the $ symbol should have changed to a # symbol. If the keyboard did not stay on the screen, turn your tablet vertical. Horizontal may hide the keyboard.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

Code:
# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

16. Now type in the following code.

Code:
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. In ClockworkMod Recovery you will use the home button to move between selections. Push the menu button will make your selection.

18. Select "install zip from sdcard"

19. Select "choose zip from sdcard"

20. Select your Google Apps file (gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip)

21. Select "Yes - Install gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip"

22. This should now start installing Google Apps on your tablet. Once the installation is complete you can reboot your Kyros. When the home screen comes back up, you should now have the Google Market available on your apps screen.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
I was able to root my Kyros and add GApps with the 7015A update thanks to all the resources in the couple of threads and the great YouTube video. I know as a newbie to the Android world that it can be kind of confusing and seem like the language is to hard to understand. So I figured I would help out and try to list the process step by step from a newbie's perspective and how I did it. If I am missing anything, please feel free to add.

This tutorial will require a MicroSD memory card. That is how I did it, so it's the only way I know.

1. Using your home computer, download these files to you MicroSD card (save these files directly to the main level of the memory card and not in a folder on the card)

Z4Root

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

2. Open the link below on your home computer using the Windows Explore. Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder, and copy the flash_image file. You will now want to copy and past this file onto your microSD memory card.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1629X685119&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.tt%2F4l1TU4D&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidtablets.net%2Fforum%2Fcoby-tablets%2F8283-new-update-zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-4.html

4. Using your Kyros, go to LYSESOFT - Solutions for smart devices and download AndExplorer. Download version 1.7, the apk file. Install this application.

5. In the AppsLib market, search for Terminal Emulator. Download this app to your Kyros.

6. Open the AndExplorer application. Click on the root file at the top of the list of folder. Then go to your sdcard folder. Here you will see the files that you saved to your MicroSD card in the first steps.

7. Click on the Z4Root file to install it. Then open it. On the next screen there will be an option to do a temporary root or a permanent root. Select permanent root. Once the root is complete, the tablet will reboot.

9. Once the tablet has rebooted, you should see the Z4Root icon and the SuperUser icon in your apps menu.

10. Now you will want to open your Teminal Emulator app.

SU (and then hit enter)

12. Allow the Super User access when the screen pops up.

SU (and then hit enter)

14. The keyboard should stay on the screen and the $ symbol should have changed to a # symbol.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

# flash_image recovery/sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode.

22. This should now start installing Google Apps on your tablet. Once the installation is complete you can reboot your Kyros. When the home screen comes back up, you should now have the Google Market available on your apps screen.

This worked PERFECTLY. Just one typo I found in step 16. Should be "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img". It was missing a space. Also, I'd add a step 17a or a tip about using the Home button to navigate the ClockworkMod menu and using the Menu button to select your entry.

Otherwise - PERFECT. :)

CommMaster

Feb 19, 2011

Z4Root

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

2. Open the link below on your home computer using the Windows Explore. Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder, and copy the flash_image file. You will now want to copy and past this file onto your microSD memory card.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1629X685119&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.tt%2F4l1TU4D&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidtablets.net%2Fforum%2Fcoby-tablets%2F8283-new-update-zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-4.html

4. Using your Kyros, go to LYSESOFT - Solutions for smart devices and download AndExplorer. Download version 1.7, the apk file. Install this application.

SU (and then hit enter)

SU (and then hit enter)

14. The keyboard should stay on the screen and the $ symbol should have changed to a # symbol. If the keyboard did not stay on the screen, turn your tablet vertical. Horizontal may hide the keyboard.

# reboot recovery

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. In ClockworkMod Recovery you will use the home button to move between selections. Push the menu button will make your selection.

THANK GOD!! I have been reading and reading for the last 10 hours, Thank you to everyone who contributed. I am a newby when it comes to Android, but I am really excited to learn more about it.

This post was EXACTLY what I needed.

jackrussell

Feb 19, 2011

Z4Root

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

SU (and then hit enter)

SU (and then hit enter)

# reboot recovery

i have tried this and all of the other "super easy stuff" nothing works. i have been at this for 12 hrs now. does anyone have a working mod for the 7015a and step by step instructions. thanks in adavnce

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
i have tried this and all of the other "super easy stuff" nothing works. i have been at this for 12 hrs now. does anyone have a working mod for the 7015a and step by step instructions. thanks in adavnce

This is step by step instructions. It has been pretty much dummied down to the simplest form. Not sure what else are you looking for? Also, list the problem you are running into. That will get you the most help.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011

Please follow these steps then tell us exactly where it fails and how.

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011

SU (and then hit enter)

Just wondering if you got the # symble during these steps 10 thru 12... I remember when I was doing this when I first got my tablet I thought I gave it permission but I needed to remove the keyboard from the screen and have the tablet in portrait mode...

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Make sure you type it exactly with the spaces right. Your image file may be corrupt on your sd card. Try to download it again and copy it over.