Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

Ole Dog

Apr 19, 2011
Bill,
I think the forum could have helped before you returned the Coby. Screen calibrate might have fixed it. Rebooting to the original ROM might have proven that it was a software issue and not a hard ware issue. The keyboard is a lot harder to use than one would expect. I still watch it carefully to see I get the letter I clicked on. I have a small USB keyboard I use too.
Next Coby test making a backup and restoring a couple of times, clockworkmod menu. It's a nice feature. Then you can have multiple ROMs available - Original, Rooted, Tipstir's etc.

Thanks Ridgeland, being completely new to android OS it just didn't occur to me that it might be a software program because I had not seen any posts that related to my problem. My experience with computers has just been using them, not delving on whats inside. My first one used CPM OS then to DOS and the several volumes of Windows.
Is there anywhere I can find tutorial on: Screen Calibrate: Clockworkmod backup and rebooting.
I don't think I understand half of what I think I know about these items.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Bill (ole dog) Hancock

Last edited:

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Screen calibrate is a tool/app in the slide out menu with all the apps. It's just called Calibrate. It will say "Tap" the cross but it requires "Long Press", later versions say it correctly.
Clockworkmod backup/restore is not like Windows Restore which only does a little of the registry. Clockworkmod backs up the entire system. More like backing up the C: drive. It's installed in the normal rooting processes. So there you have your first backup, one before installing Google Market. Later you can try other ROMs and just boot to Clockworkmod and choose when to do a backup and when to restore to where. I'm liberal with making backups. I have Coby nearly original, Coby with my apps, Coby with Google Market, CyanogenMod 2.2, Tipstir's HCVx ROM, Watery - but something went wrong there and I deleted it, haven't gotten back to installing it again.
Since you were around in the days of DOS you know about batch files. Unix/Linux never left simple text files to run programs and do system settings. Linux calls them scripts not batch files. The first post here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...e-terminal-commands-like-reboot-recovery.html
explains an easy script for booting to clockworkmod. You may also do it by rebooting and holding in both the "back" silver button and power button until the menu appears. You want the green menu not the blue one. If you get the blue one use the steps of the script and try again.

Ole Dog

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks again, that really helped me understand several things. I had the green clockworkmod on the one I sent back and had done the backup which I presume had backed up the original OS.
What in your opinion is the best OS (ie: speed, operating simplicity, etc,) or is it just a matter of trial and choosing what a person is comfortable with?
Again really appreciate your help and all the good info.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I think which ROM is personal preference. We stick with the stock Coby ROM without Google Market for pretty much everything. It's the most stable for us. I like Cyanogen but it cannot play HDMI to the TV so if that is important to you it's out. Starting though you should use a ROM with Google Market and see how many of the 150,000 apps you like and want to keep. I boot up Stock with GoogleMarket if I hear of an app I want to try. Then I boot back to Stock without Market. After a month of playing in Market I felt like I had enough apps and features. Don't bother with the other ROMs until you get bored with Google Market.

Ole Dog

Apr 19, 2011
Your information has been a great help to a neophyte in Coby 7015 androids and your last post is going to take a little while to digest. My new 7015A came in today and is rooted and has GAPPS on board. Will be busy trying to just find out what I have and how to use it but will be both fun and a challenge. ROM goes on a back-burner for now. Again Thanks
Bill

djgdroid

Apr 25, 2011
has anyone tried superoneroot to root their Coby? I've downloaded the 1.9.1 version but I don't know if I need to do anythings with the drivers here

dh1200s

May 12, 2011
I got my 7015A yesterday and the 16G SD card arrived today. Got it all set up no problem thanks to this forum. Thank you all for the great support. lisabraydon post 70 helped me with the additional notes during the upgrade.

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
I rooted my 7015a and installed the market, but the market does not find all apps. I have a Motorola Xoom, and will find apps that the Coby will not. For example, I purchased iBird Pro from the Android Market on my computer. It downloaded to the Xoom. I also have an Elocity A7 tablet that I installed the marlet on, and it found the application. The Coby is also not recognized on the Android Market webpage. Is there some sort of permissions problem with the Coby?

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
I rooted my 7015a and installed the market, but the market does not find all apps. I have a Motorola Xoom, and will find apps that the Coby will not. For example, I purchased iBird Pro from the Android Market on my computer. It downloaded to the Xoom. I also have an Elocity A7 tablet that I installed the marlet on, and it found the application. The Coby is also not recognized on the Android Market webpage. Is there some sort of permissions problem with the Coby?

In Settings, Accounts & sync settings......is background data and auto-sync checked? Does your market ID show up under Manage accounts and show sync is ON?

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
In Settings, Accounts & sync settings......is background data and auto-sync checked? Does your market ID show up under Manage accounts and show sync is ON?

I actually do not even have an "Accounts and Sync" option under "Settings". All my other Android devices do.:confused:

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
I actually do not even have an "Accounts and Sync" option under "Settings". All my other Android devices do.:confused:

Something is hosed. You could try installing Market again, start from scratch by wiping everything and installing the stock ROM or you could even try pulling the settings.apk from the stock Rom and reinstalling it.
Before you do any of that though, try hitting the reset button on the back just for grins. It can be fixed one way or the other. Good luck!

mikekoz

May 15, 2011
Something is hosed. You could try installing Market again, start from scratch by wiping everything and installing the stock ROM or you could even try pulling the settings.apk from the stock Rom and reinstalling it.
Before you do any of that though, try hitting the reset button on the back just for grins. It can be fixed one way or the other. Good luck!

Thanks! Where would I find the "settings.apk" file? That sounds like the simplest option and I would like to try that first!

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Not saying it will work, just something to try. You have to have the stock update.zip from Coby or even one of the modded ones. Unzip the files or use 7z and look in the system/app folder. It will be there. Copy it to your sdcard and install using your file manager.

Some folks get confused, the update.zip file is the ROM. Downloading it from the Coby site is a challenge as it is kind of hidden. You have to click on the the Update Applib option then it is a small selection on the lower left portion of the popup screen.

Last edited:

mikekoz

May 15, 2011

Tried installing the settings.apk and completely reinstalling the market, but no luck. Do not really feel like wiping it and starting over!:( Any more ideas!!??