Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Cool, another tennessean. Anyways, thus has come up in the past, but I don't know if there was a solution. You could try flashing my watery kyros rom since that issue hasn't come up with that firmware. I've only seen that recently when I've done something that the tablet didn't like while adding mods/hacks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Feb 23, 2011
Successfully rooted kyros but having a couple of issues. Forgive me if this question has already been answered. I am having a problem loading widgets, every time I try I get this message "Sorry, the process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again". The other problem is when using the WeatherBug app it seems to think that My Location is Florida, South Africa? I live in TN. I can add my loation but it will not let me change it to My Location or delete the South Africa location. This messes with the radar. If any one can please help, I would appreciate it.

I had the same issue, it has something to do with the launcher. Try switching to launcher pro or adw and see if that fixes it,.it did for me

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

InFamoUs

Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for all the help guys My tablet is now Rooted and Hacked with google market installed

topaz47

Feb 27, 2011
HELP,

I tried the instructions above and I still can't get it to work. I have uninstalled the terminal emulator twice and I still can't get it to do what it is suppose to do.

Xelestial

Feb 28, 2011
I was able to root my Kyros and add GApps with the 7015A update thanks to all the resources in the couple of threads and the great YouTube video. I know as a newbie to the Android world that it can be kind of confusing and seem like the language is to hard to understand. So I figured I would help out and try to list the process step by step from a newbie's perspective and how I did it. If I am missing anything, please feel free to add.

I love you! I have been working out rooting this thing for 7-8 hours and when I finally got past all my troubles, I found out I shouldn't have installed the update even though some threads tell you to. I have little experience with programming but this was still rough getting through. Your thread was very clear. One thing you got incorrect that led to some frustration for me though:

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. In ClockworkMod Recovery you will use the home button to move between selections. Push the menu button will make your selection.

This is incorrect, and twice I actually rebooted since that is the first option. Reverse those two on navigation.

Also, it would be good if you explained how to use Terminal Emulator (like having to press the menu button to get the keyboard to pop up) I figured it out myself but if you're not used to Android, it's confusing.

Also, I'm kind of surprised you didn't talk about backing up before installing Google Apps if the user wished. I went ahead and did that before I installed it, but just was wondering. I'm so happy there are people like you and the people who originally shared how to root it, improving people's quality of life. If I could add thanks, I would.

Last edited:

pastorwill

Mar 1, 2011
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I have gone through the steps atleast 10 times and when I go to reboot it doesn't give me the options listed to load the files from card. The only thing it shows on reboot screen is update.zip. PLEASE HELP ME

brobox

Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for the step by step, easy to follow instructions. I did have a hitch on step 15
I used your write up along with 'ALTERNATE (NEWBIE-FRIENDLY) GUIDE FOR ROOTING AND GOOGLE MARKET INSTALL ON WINDOWS - NO SPECIAL DRIVERS OR ADB COMMANDS NEEDED'. both are well written and I made it through.

DITTO, and thank you guys for putting in so much effort to make us newbies part of the group.

FOR THOSE HAVING PROBLEMS, I used both instructions, side by side and step by step, when one did not work, I tried the step from the other instructions. When I got to the bottom of both sets of instructions, the 7015 was rooted. Check and double check your typing and SPACES for the command lines. Good luck and have fun.

brobox

Feb 23, 2011
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong but I have gone through the steps atleast 10 times and when I go to reboot it doesn't give me the options listed to load the files from card. The only thing it shows on reboot screen is update.zip. PLEASE HELP ME

I had the same exact problem. I took the sd card out of the 7015, put it back in the computer and check through Windows Explorer that the files were there, they were. Put the card back in the 7015, repeated that step and the files showed up on the sd card and I was able to continue. Go figure.

pastorwill

Mar 1, 2011
I had the same exact problem. I took the sd card out of the 7015, put it back in the computer and check through Windows Explorer that the files were there, they were. Put the card back in the 7015, repeated that step and the files showed up on the sd card and I was able to continue. Go figure.

Thanks can you post the help aids that you use and I will try to start all over from square one again. I just can't get the files to be found when in terminal emulator not sure what Im doing wrong :(

lisabraydon

Mar 2, 2011
ignore my previous posts!
alright I got this to work on my brand new kyros with preinstalled 7015a YOU ARE AWESOME.. a few little updates in red...

7015A Root and GApps addition

This tutorial will require a MicroSD memory card. That is how I did it, so it's the only way I know.

1. Using your home computer, download these files to you MicroSD card (save these files directly to the main level of the memory card and not in a folder on the card)

Z4Root
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

2. Open the link below on your home computer using Windows Explorer. Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder, and copy the flash_image file. You will now want to copy and past this file onto your microSD memory card.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1629X68...26-11-a-4.html

3. Insert your memory card into your Kyros.

4. Using your Kyros, go to LYSESOFT - Solutions for smart devices and download AndExplorer. Download version 1.8, the apk file. Install this application.

5. In the AppsLib market, search for Terminal Emulator. Download this app to your Kyros.

6. Open the AndExplorer application. Click on the root file at the top of the list of folder. Then go to your sdcard folder. Here you will see the files that you saved to your MicroSD card in the first steps.

7. Click on the Z4Root file to install it. Then open it. On the next screen there will be an option to do a temporary root or a permanent root. Select permanent root. Here it pops up a screen that says -USB debugging must be enabled go to settings to do this and come redo- In Settings, this option is in the DEVELOPMENT area, check mark it..then go back and click on z4root file and start step 7 over) Once the root is complete, the tablet will reboot.

9. Once the tablet has rebooted, you should see the Z4Root icon and the SuperUser icon in your apps menu.

10. Now you will want to open your Teminal Emulator app.

11. Once it is open, type the follwing:

SU (and then hit enter) it didn't take it the first time, so I just entered it again and it worked

12. Allow the Super User access when the screen pops up. (It pops up then you have to allow access quickly, if you let it sit..this screen goes away..so you have to do step 11 again)

13. Run the Terminal Emulator app again. Once again type:

SU (and then hit enter)

14. The keyboard should stay on the screen and the $ symbol should have changed to a # symbol. If the keyboard did not stay on the screen, turn your tablet vertical. Horizontal may hide the keyboard.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

16. Now type in the following code.

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery
(again didn't work the first time..so just retyped these last 2 lines and it worked)

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. In ClockworkMod Recovery you will use the home button to move between selections. Push the menu button will make your selection.

17 (a) BACKUP your system here.
press home button til you get to backup and restore...use menu button to select
then the backup option should already be highlighted, press menu...it will start a backup..will take a few min
when it is done it will say done and take u to original clockworkmod recover menu

18. Select "install zip from sdcard"

19. Select "choose zip from sdcard"

20. Select your Google Apps file (gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip)

21. Select "Yes - Install gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip"

22. This should now start installing Google Apps on your tablet. Once the installation is complete you can reboot your Kyros. (press the back button and press menu button to reboot) When the home screen comes back up, you should now have the Google Market available on your apps screen.

brobox

Feb 23, 2011
Nice update, thank you. After reading it, I realized I missed 17a backing up. I am already rooted, but I missed that step (to many different instruction posts) Can I go back and "backup and restore" WITHOUT re-rooting all over again? I was able to get to there with no problem, but when it said "restore" I stopped not knowing if it would go back to factory settings.

bullitt6996

Aug 24, 2010
DITTO, and thank you guys for putting in so much effort to make us newbies part of the group.

FOR THOSE HAVING PROBLEMS, I used both instructions, side by side and step by step, when one did not work, I tried the step from the other instructions. When I got to the bottom of both sets of instructions, the 7015 was rooted. Check and double check your typing and SPACES for the command lines. Good luck and have fun.

This is definately true, also make sure if your flash images aren't taking that you try and download them a few different times, erasing the previous. I myself had quite the experience finalizing the root, and I'm suspecting that the download was corrupted the first couple of times.

pastorwill

Mar 1, 2011
i cannot get past step 16 it won't read file can someone please help me very frustrated that everyone else is figuring it out but I can't because I have never done this before. Just want to make this tablet better

brobox

Feb 23, 2011
i cannot get past step 16 it won't read file can someone please help me very frustrated that everyone else is figuring it out but I can't because I have never done this before. Just want to make this tablet better

I am not the expert, but just passing along what I have seen posted on step 16. Common mistake is not putting the "space" between recovery and the /
Hope that helps.