Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

acutler612

Mar 6, 2011
This does not work for me. HELP

Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

I need help I have restart from store bought many times and and followed the Coby Kyros MID7015 step by step on YouTube to the tee but it keeps saying I "Recovery not found". I did the three steps above and they went thru..yay BUT im lost now. After all 3 of those steps went in the # came back up. WHATS THE NEXT STEP AFTER THE ABOVE STEPS? Can anyone please help i wanna throw this MID7015 because it wont download the recovery Image.

acutler612

Mar 6, 2011
I followed each step above and they all work until i got to step 15. It didn't work so I retried and it still didnt work so i changed to the words as follows
# cp /sdcard/recovery.img /system/bin/recovery.img
# chown root.shell /system/bin/recovery.img
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/recovery.img

thats my file name and it finally went thru. so i moved to step 16 and SO GETTING FLASH_IMAGE: NOT FOUND.....PLEASE HELP! I been at this for hours and it still dont work. Rebooted to store bought many times and still dont work..HELP

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
the three commands for moving flash_image don't have any output. you don't need to put recovery.img in /system/bin and it doesn't have to be executable (it's a disk image).

i would recommend reinstalling the coby update and starting over. very carefully read and follow the instructions.

acutler612

Mar 6, 2011
what instructions..??

and i only added those 3 step is because when i typed in "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" and is it "flash_image recovery: NOT FOUND" and I rebooted my system to store bought AGAIN and started all over...still having problems with the recovery image.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
I followed each step above and they all work until i got to step 15. It didn't work so I retried and it still didnt work so i changed to the words as follows
# cp /sdcard/recovery.img /system/bin/recovery.img
# chown root.shell /system/bin/recovery.img
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/recovery.img

thats my file name and it finally went thru. so i moved to step 16 and SO GETTING FLASH_IMAGE: NOT FOUND.....PLEASE HELP! I been at this for hours and it still dont work. Rebooted to store bought many times and still dont work..HELP

Did you extract the flash_image from an old update and put it on your sd card?

voy108

Mar 8, 2011
Being new to the android tablet your instructions were "spot on". Worked perfectly. Had problems because I didn't read them properly. Thank you so much for placing the detailed instructions on the forum. The video posted elsewhere didn't mention the files needed or I just didn't hear it so this was fantastic. Whole new world.

voy108

Mar 8, 2011
Say, l_n, I downloaded your Watery Kyros but have not installed it yet. Looks like from your instructions it actually does away with the mod that I just completed and starts fresh. I have not seen a splash of your moded screen...does it still include Google Market, etc.? Also, do I go through all of the same steps as I did when I rooted it the first time or are your instructions a short cut. Thanks

I just reread your text with the mod and I'm not clear what Clockwork recovery is. When I rebooted on the original mod I got the ! screen and went in there and then had the options for selecting the zip file, etc. Nowhere did I see it called Clockwork... Can I get to that screen by just pressing the power and back buttons?

Last edited:

gojomojo58

Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for all the info on this thread. I was able to setup my Coby Kyros 7015 on the first day.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
clockworkmod recovery is the custom recovery.img that allows you to make nandroid backups and flash roms. the text is green and there are more options than the stock, blue recovery.

mcduffiechris

Mar 8, 2011
I got my wife a Kyros 7015 and have done well up until step 15. Well, when I went to the link for the image on step 2, it redirected to the kyros_original_update.zip, not like what your step is showing. Please help me with this. Thanks!

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
I found this video when I was rooting and installing Clockwork mod on mine the other day. I had little trouble rooting but the entire process became incredibly simpler when I found this video. Maybe I'm just slow but watching someone else do it really helped the instructions make sense for me.

If you're having any trouble at all I highly recommend this video. The guy takes his time and walks step by step while showing what he's doing the entire time. Check it out!

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
kyros_original_update.zip needs to be unzipped on your pc or tablet so you can grab (relative path to where it's unzipped):
system/bin/flash_image and copy it to /system/bin/flash_image on the tablet.

voy108

Mar 8, 2011
Hi L_N: OK, I still have the Blue recovery screen. I went through the entire root and I have Google Market. Can I just run line 16...i.e. flash image recovery, etc? Does the clockworkmod remain permanent after that. Not a programmer so can only follow your directions. Thank you

voy108

Mar 8, 2011
Hi L_N: Sorry if this is a second post but I don't see my original one so here goes. I just went into recovery and mine is still the stock blue one. Can I run step # 16 from this thread and just flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img with the reboot recovery instruction and get the clockwork mod back and will it stay permanently? I'm not a programmer so don't know what the instructions are doing. Thanks. Voy108

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
I got my wife a Kyros 7015 and have done well up until step 15. Well, when I went to the link for the image on step 2, it redirected to the kyros_original_update.zip, not like what your step is showing. Please help me with this. Thanks!

Click the link. If Windows gives you an option to save the file or open it, open it using Windows Explore. Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder. Here you will see the flash_image file. Copy the flash_image file. Past this file onto your microSD memory card. Continue to step 3.