Rooting and Google Marketplace using update to 7015A....step by step process

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
If it reverts to stock recovery, you need to rename or delete /system/etc/install-recovery.sh. That script detects changes to the recovery partition and overwrites them. After you delete that script and install recovery.img, it wil be permanent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
Sorry, I posted that I found this video that proved extremely helpful for me when I set up my 7015 with the root and Clockwork mod but I evidently forgot to post the link. So...here it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

lordkosc

Mar 7, 2011
took 2 tries , but i got his to work :D

i blame my fat finger skills on the first failed attempt!

thx op!

bert3673

Mar 5, 2011
This worked perfectly on my 7015A with the laters Kyros update.

I was able to root my Kyros and add GApps with the 7015A update thanks to all the resources in the couple of threads and the great YouTube video. I know as a newbie to the Android world that it can be kind of confusing and seem like the language is to hard to understand. So I figured I would help out and try to list the process step by step from a newbie's perspective and how I did it. If I am missing anything, please feel free to add.

7015A Root and GApps addition

This tutorial will require a MicroSD memory card. That is how I did it, so it's the only way I know.

1. Using your home computer, download these files to you MicroSD card (save these files directly to the main level of the memory card and not in a folder on the card)

Z4Root
[APP] z4root - xda-developers

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

2. Open the link below on your home computer using the Windows Explore. Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder, and copy the flash_image file. You will now want to copy and past this file onto your microSD memory card.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1629X6...zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-4.html

3. Insert your memory card into your Kyros.

4. Using your Kyros, go to LYSESOFT - Solutions for smart devices and download AndExplorer. Download version 1.7, the apk file. Install this application.

5. In the AppsLib market, search for Terminal Emulator. Download this app to your Kyros.

6. Open the AndExplorer application. Click on the root file at the top of the list of folder. Then go to your sdcard folder. Here you will see the files that you saved to your MicroSD card in the first steps.

7. Click on the Z4Root file to install it. Then open it. On the next screen there will be an option to do a temporary root or a permanent root. Select permanent root. Once the root is complete, the tablet will reboot.

9. Once the tablet has rebooted, you should see the Z4Root icon and the SuperUser icon in your apps menu.

10. Now you will want to open your Teminal Emulator app.

11. Once it is open, type the follwing:

SU (and then hit enter)

12. Allow the Super User access when the screen pops up.

13. Run the Terminal Emulator app again. Once again type:

SU (and then hit enter)

14. The keyboard should stay on the screen and the $ symbol should have changed to a # symbol. If the keyboard did not stay on the screen, turn your tablet vertical. Horizontal may hide the keyboard.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

# cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
# chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

16. Now type in the following code.

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# reboot recovery

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. In ClockworkMod Recovery you will use the home button to move between selections. Push the menu button will make your selection.

18. Select "install zip from sdcard"

19. Select "choose zip from sdcard"

20. Select your Google Apps file (gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip)

21. Select "Yes - Install gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip"

22. This should now start installing Google Apps on your tablet. Once the installation is complete you can reboot your Kyros. When the home screen comes back up, you should now have the Google Market available on your apps screen.

mcduffiechris

Mar 8, 2011
kyros_original_update.zip needs to be unzipped on your pc or tablet so you can grab (relative path to where it's unzipped):
system/bin/flash_image and copy it to /system/bin/flash_image on the tablet.
Thanks for the help---I will try it later and see if that works. For some reason I thought that you were not supposed to unzip it. Do you know how to unzip on the tablet? I may unzip it on my laptop, saving it to the proper place on the sd card and try again.

vlad3v

Mar 11, 2011
I was able to root my Kyros and add GApps with the 7015A update thanks to all the resources in the couple of threads and the great YouTube video. I know as a newbie to the Android world that it can be kind of confusing and seem like the language is to hard to understand. So I figured I would help out and try to list the process step by step from a newbie's perspective and how I did it. If I am missing anything, please feel free to add.

This tutorial will require a MicroSD memory card. That is how I did it, so it's the only way I know.

1. Using your home computer, download these files to you MicroSD card (save these files directly to the main level of the memory card and not in a folder on the card)

Z4Root

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

2. Open the link below on your home computer using the Windows Explore. Once it is open you will be able to look around in the different folders. Go to the system folder, then bin folder, and copy the flash_image file. You will now want to copy and past this file onto your microSD memory card.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1629X685119&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.tt%2F4l1TU4D&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidtablets.net%2Fforum%2Fcoby-tablets%2F8283-new-update-zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-4.html

4. Using your Kyros, go to LYSESOFT - Solutions for smart devices and download AndExplorer. Download version 1.7, the apk file. Install this application.

5. In the AppsLib market, search for Terminal Emulator. Download this app to your Kyros.

6. Open the AndExplorer application. Click on the root file at the top of the list of folder. Then go to your sdcard folder. Here you will see the files that you saved to your MicroSD card in the first steps.

7. Click on the Z4Root file to install it. Then open it. On the next screen there will be an option to do a temporary root or a permanent root. Select permanent root. Once the root is complete, the tablet will reboot.

9. Once the tablet has rebooted, you should see the Z4Root icon and the SuperUser icon in your apps menu.

SU (and then hit enter)

SU (and then hit enter)

14. The keyboard should stay on the screen and the $ symbol should have changed to a # symbol. If the keyboard did not stay on the screen, turn your tablet vertical. Horizontal may hide the keyboard.

15. Type the following code (note: the #'s do not need to be entered by you. It will be given on each line).

This code is moving the flash_image from your sdcard to the system/bin on the Kyros.

# reboot recovery

17. The tablet will now reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. In ClockworkMod Recovery you will use the home button to move between selections. Push the menu button will make your selection.

22. This should now start installing Google Apps on your tablet. Once the installation is complete you can reboot your Kyros. When the home screen comes back up, you should now have the Google Market available on your apps screen.

These are wonderful instructions! Worked as a charm! Thank you for posting it.

One small correction:
on step 7 - before installing z4root make sure that USB debugging is enabled in settings->application settings->development

Also, on the first try ClockworkMod mode didn't respond to any buttons at all. I had to reset (button on the back of COBY) and after reboot repeat steps:
1. Terminal Emulator
2. su
then repeat step 16.
On the second try it worked fine.

Thank you again!

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
Would think you should update it before starting either with either one. I have 7015 and I updated before rooting. I really don't know what differentiates a 7015 form a 7015a. I thought they were the same thing.

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
That would explain why the original procedure didn't work for me. I had to use the one in the video I posted here. Then when I got to the emulator and typed in SU I had to search the web for what to put in next because what was on this site didn't work. It actually took me three different sources to get it straight. But I'm pretty that between a few of us we have all the correct info and steps on this site now. In fact I believe one guy posted the video and the proper steps for 7015a in this thread (although it might have been a different thread).

Anyway...you can get all the info on this site to do it with either 7015 or 7015a so I recommend just going ahead and getting the update first.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Actually, I did explain that in the thread I originally created about the 7015a update...

Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
Actually, I did explain that in the thread I originally created about the 7015a update...

Sent from my MID7015A using Tapatalk

I am apologizing if this is in response to me. I ran into trouble with mine the first time and didn't bother looking all through this site for answers to what I needed. I just kept Googling until I got all the proper steps from 3 different places. Now that I've been around here a little bit I see how great amount of knowledge is on this site and the many things (make that MANY things) you have contributed here, I have no doubt that everything I needed was right here in this site.

Sorry if Anything I posted stepped out of line or offended...didn't mean to at all.

Anyway...my new 7015 is coming in the morning and as soon as I get it rooted and clockwork on I'm planning on trying to give watery a shot. I'm so completely ignorant with this stuff though it may end up being more than I can handle right now. Been looking through the thread on it and it looks a little complicated although it may come together when I get the tablet in front of me.

BTW...yes...I'm getting another 7015 in the morning, you read correct. The 7025 I had planned to order fell through. Right after I sold the last 7015 I wen to order on Amazon and found that they have been postponed for shipping until late spring or early summer. What a total bummer!

You have plans to get one of the new models to work with? I sure hope so...it would be nice to have your skillz working on updates for it....maybe get it tweaked a little faster.

mcduffiechris

Mar 8, 2011
kyros_original_update.zip needs to be unzipped on your pc or tablet so you can grab (relative path to where it's unzipped):
system/bin/flash_image and copy it to /system/bin/flash_image on the tablet.
Got it to work finally---thanks! Now, can I turn off SuperUser? I am definitely not a developer nor do I think I want to modify this anymore...you can respond directly to my email if it would be easier ([email protected]). Thanks again!

P.S. Anyone know how to add their Yahoo email acccount through the email application on the Kyros 7015?

Big O

Feb 24, 2011
I rooted my coby kyros 7015 but cannot access android market, I did at first but i had to change my gmail address, can someone help me please

rayl

Feb 1, 2011
just got my 7015 today from target.com, $155 taxes and shipping, it took me about 4 tries with this method and finally worked. Thanks for your work. the bad attempts were probably due to miss typing. hopefully I'll like this device. I have 90 days to try it out due to target local store return policy. Again Thanks!

Phase3d

Dec 8, 2010
Got it to work finally---thanks! Now, can I turn off SuperUser? I am definitely not a developer nor do I think I want to modify this anymore...you can respond directly to my email if it would be easier ([email protected]). Thanks again!

P.S. Anyone know how to add their Yahoo email acccount through the email application on the Kyros 7015?

Use the Yahoo Mail App available in the market.

Phase3d

Dec 8, 2010

Z4Root

Recovery.img
Sendspace.com - Download

Google Apps Package
Mediafire.com - Download

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1629X685119&xs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdb.tt%2F4l1TU4D&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.androidtablets.net%2Fforum%2Fcoby-tablets%2F8283-new-update-zip-coby-build-mid7015a-1-6a-1-26-11-a-4.html

SU (and then hit enter)

SU (and then hit enter)

# reboot recovery

Answer this question: Do you have ClockworkMod Recovery really truly installed using this? When you hold the back button, and power button at the same time during bootup does it go into ClockworkMod Recovery or Android Recovery?