Rooting Coby 9742 Issues

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I think I've got through the whole process, and when I try to go to the terminal and type "su" it says sh:<stdin>[3]:su: not found

Should I do some steps over?

I was following this guideline:
How to root a coby kyros MID9742 from windows XP.
(Note I just compiled this list. Thank Traveller1701 for actually figuring this all out.)
1. Install the Android SDK. Get it from Android SDK | Android Developers.
2. Get Traveller1701's drivers for XP from Coby_Gen3_USB_Driver.zip and unzip the file on your desktop.
3. Power up your coby MID9742 and go to 'Settings'
4. Scroll down the left menu and hit "{ } Developer Options"
5. Make sure "USB debugging" in the right column is checked. If it asks if you want to "Allow USB debugging" hit OK.
6. Plug your tablet into your PC with the microUSB cable. Your PC will notice a new device and the New Hardware Found wizard should pop up. Select "Yes and every time I plug this device in" and click Next.
If the wizard doesn't pop up follow these steps
i. open your control panel, double click the "System" icon, click the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button to pull up the device manager.
ii. look down the list under Other Devices you should find a device called "Android" with a question mark. Right click on it and select "Update Driver." That
will bring up the Hardware Update wizard.
7. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and hit "Next".
8. Select "Dont search. I will choose the driver to install. hit Next.
9. double click "Show all devices"
10. Click Have disk and navigate to the XP subdirectory in the directory you unzipped the file into. For example c:\Documents and Settings\your_login_name\Desktop\Coby_Gen3_USB_Dri ver\XP
11. On the popup that appears, select the .INF file for the drivers and select "Open".
12. There should be a list of drivers available. Select your chosen driver and select "OK". Windows may throw up a warning about the driver not being compatible. Select OK anyway.
13. Hit next and the driver should get installed. After it does look back in the Device Manager. The generic "Android" device should disappear from the Other Devices list and a
new device "Android Phone" will appear above it. Yeah it's not a phone but so what.
14. Download Traveller1701's ADB bundle from MID9742 Dump v3.rar and unzip it to your desktop.
16. Fire up a console with Start->All Programs-->Accesories->Command Prompt
17. Change to the directory where you unzipped the ADB stuff. e.g. "cd c:\Documents and Settings\your login name\Desktop\CobyADB"
18. Type
adb.exe devices
19. That may say something about a daemon, then it will list attached devices. If the list is empty something is wrong. Ask for help in the forums.
20. Now type the following commands. If any yield an error message, stop and ask for help on the generation 3 technical forum.
adb.exe push data /data/local/tmp/ > NUL
adb.exe shell chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid > NUL
adb.exe shell /data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xd7cc 0xad27 sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh > NUL
21. Your device should be rooted. Now go to getjar and install the android terminal. After it installs fire it up.
22. On your Coby in the terminal type su and hit the play button (enter doesn't work.) It'll ask you to verify that you want superuser privileges. Say yes.
23. Once you've confirmed that you have superuser privileges immediately make a backup of your system in case you screw up later. Don't skip this step!!!
24. type (in your windows console)
adb.exe shell mkdir /sdcard/dump
adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img"
adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nandc > /sdcard/dump/boot.img"
adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nandg > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img"
adb.exe shell su -c "cd /system && busybox tar cvf - * | gzip -c > /sdcard/dump/system.tgz"
mkdir dump
adb.exe pull /sdcard/dump dump

Now copy the files in the dump directory to someplace safe.

You're coby is rooted and your system backed up.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
You have people downloading my system dump rather than the Root Utility. Correct link is CobyADB.zip for the Root Utility. Also, the commands as you have them presented, come from the root utility. The syntax is different if you are typing in the commands yourself. Thus, adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img" when typed in by hand becomes...

adb shell
su
cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img

Since you need to have shell and admin rights throughout the dump process, repeatedly typing "adb.exe shell su -c" isn't necessary when hand typing the commands in. The batch file is a different story. In a batch file, shell and admin rights are not retained between commands, and thus the setup seen in the batch file is required.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Moved to Coby Generation 3. (Other thread deleted.)

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
Thanks, I followed theses instructions from another post, then I found your post, would have been much easier your way.. I got past the rooting now.. I can't seem to get the clockworkmod recovery to work. It reboots the tablet, and I get the Android character laying down with an ! in a red triangle. Then I can re-boot the tablet and it comes back, but it won't go into the cwm.. The device is for sure rooted, now all I want to do is get google play to work, and the kindle app. Any help would be appreciated.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I renamed the files, then ran the root_restore.bat, it says it installed and reboots the tablet, then I get an android laying down with an ! in a red triangle. If I wait long enough it just reboots to normal.. It's a coby 9742, and it's rooted.. I've tried re-doing it a few times..

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
tried installing the 20120429 Google Apps package from the android recovery program, it doesn't work either.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
If you're on Windows, make sure your extensions are visible before renaming anything. The number one stumbling block with the CWM install are double extensions, caused by Windows' default manner of display files using only the filename and hiding the extension. This leads to people renaming the file as cwm_recovery.img when in fact they rename it cwm_recovery.img.img.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Make another copy of CWM and rename the two copies with the filenames given in the instructions. Then try to install CWM.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
So are you saying to use two copies of the cwm and name one stock_recovery.img and the other cwm_recovery.img? If so I just tried that and it still just goes to the same android ! screen, if I hit the back button, it goes into the coby recovery. I am putting the files into the desktop folder and running from there. Should they be in a sub folder?

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Assuming you have the utility on the root of your drive, e.g. C:\Utility, then the files go into the data subdirectory within C:\Utility, C:\Utility\data.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
O.k. I have the utility in the desktop, so I'll make a data folder and put them in there.. That might be what's going on.. I'll let you know.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
Well, I got through everything, installed the 20120429 Google Apps package, it rebooted, it said "updating android" but still no google play icon?

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
I tried again, deleted the google apps package and re-downloaded it, moved to sd root, installed through cwm. Said it was installed, rebooted, updating android came up & it's not there. Do I need to wipe the cache partition?