Rooting Coby 9742 Issues

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Adobe has copies of Flash for Android at its site in its archives, here. Download a copy from there, go into Settings>Applications and make sure you're able to install apps from unknown sources, then use the file manager to install the app by tapping on the app.

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
installed the newest adobe flash from there, installed, no change.. should i uninstall it and try an older version?

flightcrazed

Mar 30, 2013
Tried to get help through amazon support. They said it would only work on a tablet that comes with the play store. That doesn't make sense to me..

gth826a

Jul 16, 2012
...the commands as you have them presented, come from the root utility. The syntax is different if you are typing in the commands yourself. Thus, adb.exe shell su -c "cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img" when typed in by hand becomes...

adb shell
su
cat /dev/block/nanda > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img

Since you need to have shell and admin rights throughout the dump process...

My apologies if this post should go into a different thread/sticky/forum/etc...
I have a Coby Kyros MID9742 8gb and made the unfortunate mistake of using LiveSuit (.IMG file) to root the device and add Google Play; my screen is now inverted.

I understand that LiveSuit and ADB don't play well together, if at all, and at this point I'm willing to risk it... I've been unable to find any other LiveSuit .IMG files to correct the issue.

I've downloaded various files (boot.img, recovery.img, Java JDK, ADB SDK, etc.) that I believe are needed to potentially correct the issue.
However, I'm unfamiliar with the syntax and need explicit instructions (adb commands, which files in which order, etc.).

The objectives, if possible:
1. Fix inverted screen issue
2. Root device
3. Upgrade recovery to CWM
4. Add Google Play, or all GAPPs if possible

Thanks in advance for any help...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Look in Development. There is a post by vampirefo that explains exactly what you need to do. The biggest problem you're going to run in to besides the very real possibility of bricking the tablet is trying to figure out which dump will work. Since you didn't make a dump and used LiveSuite, there is a possibility that NONE of the dumps will work, in which case you're screwed. Unless of course the place that sold the tablet to you will exchange it.

gth826a

Jul 16, 2012
Look in Development. There is a post by vampirefo that explains exactly what you need to do. The biggest problem you're going to run in to besides the very real possibility of bricking the tablet is trying to figure out which dump will work. Since you didn't make a dump and used LiveSuite, there is a possibility that NONE of the dumps will work, in which case you're screwed. Unless of course the place that sold the tablet to you will exchange it.

I've had the tablet for more than 2 years now, and was tired of how limited and slow it is.
In turn, I was willing to risk being "screwed".
If all else fails, it's time to upgrade anyway...

Thanks for the help!
Any chance you can post a direct link to the Vampirefo thread that you're referring to?

Thanks again,

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'm answering this on my Dell Streak before work, so you'll just have to use the search engine we have at the top of every page for the purpose.

gth826a

Jul 16, 2012
I'm answering this on my Dell Streak before work, so you'll just have to use the search engine we have at the top of every page for the purpose.

Of course searching was the first thing I tried ;)
I found a thread that appeared related to my question, but it didn't have the explicit command instructions, and order of operations.

In turn, either I didn't find the specific thread you are referring to, or the thread doesn't provide the level of detail I need.

Thanks for your patience and help.