Discussion in 'Rockchip RK2918 Tablets' started by U9GT, Aug 15, 2011.
Does anyone have any info on how to root the Cube U9GT tablet?
Got it done! My Cube U9GT is rooted!
How-To is coming soon...
How to root your Cube U9GT
1. Download the RK29xx Image Pack/Unpack Tools v2.1: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B8hUXYDeoy_hNTc1YTVkYTMtNTNjZS00YjI2LTgyNDYtYjRjZjFmODdiZTQ1
Special thanks to the Wendal Chen (http://wendal.net) for this wonderful tool!!!
2. Unzip it into a folder
3. Now copy your firmware image file (*.img) into the folder that you created before and rename it to "wendal.img".
The firmware files you can download here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...irmware-u9-gt-rockchip-2918-a.html#post120798. I tested it with the newest version 1.10, means I copied the firmware image file "CUBE_U9GT-20110701_V1.10.img" into the folder where I unziped the RK29xx Image Pack/Unpack Tools v2.1 before and renamed it to "wendal.img"
4. What you have till now should looks like this:
5. Now run the "Runme.bat", it comes up a command line window
6. Insert 1 and press Enter to unpack the firmware image file.
7. You're now asked again to copy the firmware image file to this folder and rename it to "wendal.img".
8. With the fact that we have already did it before we can go on directly pressing any key. The firmware image file will is getting unpacked now, just wait till it has finished.
It is important that the file check and unpacking the firmware was OK. Because this tool is not just unpacking the firmware image file, but it enables also the root permission automatically as well as it installs the app "Superuser". This means that once the tool has finished (Unpack -- All Done) the firmware has been automatically unpacked and rooted and there's also the Superuser app already included.
9. Your folder content should looks like this now:
10. The only thing that now remains is to pack again the firmware files to have a rooted firmware image file to flash with the Cube U9GT Upgrade Tool (http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...irmware-u9-gt-rockchip-2918-a.html#post120798).
11. Go back to the command line window, insert 2 and press Enter.
12. That's all! If you see that making the firmware file is OK and you also read "Pack complete!! Target file --> wendal_new.img" everything went well and you again have a firmware image file (wendal_new.img) to flash on your device.
13. You don't know how to flash a fimware image?
In exactly the same way as you update your device's firmware: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...irmware-u9-gt-rockchip-2918-a.html#post120798. As firmware file choose the new created "wendal_new.img" and in the end you will have a rooted Cube U9GT.
I was able to root my U8GT using the U8GT firmware and your instructions. (Thank you very much, btw.) I am, however, still unable to delete the apps that came preloaded. I get an error Root Explorer "system (or whatever I try to alter) cannot be changed because the file system is read only."
Have you had any success in removing any of these apps?
Simply delete the unwanted AKPs (*.apk) from app-folder before repacking the firmware. Anyway leave necessary systems apps.
Here is my own rooted "lite" version based on 1.10 for U9GT with updated Launcher Pro (0.8.6): http://www.filesonic.com/file/1717887501
Thank you, I did that and it worked. Are you able to write to the /system/app ? Every time I try to mount as read and write (rw) it says "cannot be deleted because the file system is read-only." I cannot mount r/w in Root Explorer. Any luck? Thank you so much for your expertise!
Can you understand this?
http:// wendal .net/320.html#comment-331 (remove extra spaces)
I'm gonna check this out. Feedback's coming soon...
Sent from my CUBE U9GT using Android Tablet Forum
Hadn't time enough to check it better, meanwhile have a look here: Writable /system for Rk29xx(T760/P71 et.) - SlateDroid.com
I did find the slatedroid.com post and I was able to flash my boot.ini and achieve a writable system.
BTW, the original firmware (for rooting) for the U8GT can be downloaded here http://www.51cube.com/tools.asp
I just used your instructions for the U9GT and now I LOVE my U8GT.
Thanks for your time and patience.
Did you have any luck rooting the new SDK2.0 firmware. Came across this Wendal == Thinking », see wendals post at the end. Looks like it may help with unpacking the new firmware. I don't understand any chinese just trying to figure it out with google translate.
I was able to find wendal on slatedroid
Writable /system for Rk29xx(T760/P71 et.) - SlateDroid.comhere he explains in English how to make the system writable after rooting. I have yet to see anyone rooting sdk2- but I'm a newbie.
I have a CUBE U9GT_S. I want to root this but I cant do that.
Anybody help me.
Can anybody help me step by step root my Cube U9GT_S.
The steps to rooting will be the same. The most important thing is to get the correct firmware for your device. This site should have it, but you'll have to fish.
www. 51cube.com/tools.asp? (remove extra space)
This site may have some answers http:// www.51cube.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=32628&highlight=u9gts
My daughter has one of these too, but I have not rooted it. I did, however, use the exact steps posted by "U9GT" above to root my U8GT and it worked flawlessly.
Hope this helps.
I have the same model, you just need the right firmware as methaq said, and the process is the same. You can not root the new U9GTS 1.01 firmware at the moment. If you try with the U9GT firmware your wifi will not work, which i found out the hard way.
I ended up using a custom rom which is perfect for english users. I'll see if i can find a link, I got it from one of the chinese sites. I can't remember if it was version 1.5G or 1.5H using a custom set with the N10 firmware. Much faster booting time than the stock rom.
Thanks...I do it successfull...It run perfect...
My android is Cube U9GT_S
I root it as below:
1. Update firmware to 1.01: http://115.com/file/clti1864
2. After that, I run gingerbreak v1.2 to root this android: yijianRoothanhuaban_GingerBreak__mumayihanhua__V1.2_mumayi_68c79_(1).rar
*Notes: Version 1.01 update to Android 3.0 User Interface.
Thanks a lot!
You're most welcome!
Also thanks for the links.
I am happily rooted now. Now we need some custom firmware for this. I have no clue how to do that but will be looking into if CM7 could be made to work on this. Any development in the Chinese forums for this tablet?
I am trying to modify the v1.01 firmware for U18gt using Wendall's tools and boot.img. Unfortunately after flashing the boot hangs. Cache, sd and dalvick are erased but then the android mascot with a question mark appears. Could someone please tell me what am I doing wrong? Original boot.img attached and I have used the v4 tp71 from Wendall. Thank you.
P.S.: For some reason I cannot upload here. Please see my original post on slatedroid for the file:
Writable /system for Rk29xx(T760/P71 et.) - SlateDroid.com - Page 5
I recently bought the U9GT for my kids, but as much as it's a decent little unit for them to play splat ants and monkey math, I find the OS a bit irritating and hoped that I could update it. So far, reading these forums I've downloaded the latest firmware and attempted rooting it, but so far no good. It looks like the problem is with my PC as it is running windows 7 64bit. Does anyone know if I can do anything here or am I stuck?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Separate names with a comma.