Rooting disaster Kyros 7015

bullitt6996

Aug 24, 2010
Wow, don't know how I went wrong...

Okay, I have a Kyros 7015, build no: MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11 and have been trying to finish rooting it. I can get as far as rooted with Z4, but can't flash the recovery. I tried several different methods and know that it has something to do with the update and now I cant even get to the recovery menu. I see "plug in usb for fastboot....waiting" in blue. I did install SDK on my laptop, but I don't know how to go about using it. I've tried to wipe and reset, but I can't do anything much without being able to use recovery..HELP!!!:confused:

**Ok, here's an edit to this OP, I DID finally manage to get the Rooting process complete with the Z4 root, recovery, then the Watery Kyros ROM and ADW, which is pretty nice, actually. Also, using the Android Market I was able to add SetCpu to speed things up a bit. My advice to those having the problems with recovery image not found is to keep trying. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GO PAST ROOT IF YOU CANNOT MAKE A BACKUP! This is simply not worth the risk. How did I get it to work? Just kept going back to square one with it: If the image wouldn't take, I would unroot, reset, wipe all the apps, and start over. Watch your spacing as mentioned in numerous posts with the flash sdcard recovery using terminal emulator. I think what it all boiled down to was the download quality of the recovery image simply wasn't good enough in my previous attempts. If you're trying to get this done and have had nothing but problems, do not give up, you can do it, just clean slate it, and try again. I will help where I can if anyone has any questions for me. Good luck guys.

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
don't panic. it sounds like you've hosed either the boot or recovery partition.
first thing: go download a pre-compiled copy of fastboot for your platform.
next: unpack the update.zip from coby. the file you need out of it is boot.img
if using linux: do this to the fastboot binary: chown root:root /path/to/fastboot && chmod 4755 /path/to/fastboot
and now: in a console (command line window), type 'fastboot devices' and make sure it sees your device after connecting the usb cable
if it does, type 'fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img'
then: fastboot reboot

let it completely boot. then reboot it again. it will automatically reflash the stock recovery.

after all of this, you can proceed to follow the instructions in the new sticky about the update, rooting, and the market. or you can try to use the update.zip that i just posted in the watery kyros thread. :D

Last edited:

bullitt6996

Aug 24, 2010
will try this in a few... I don't know where to find that fastboot file or how to use it, though.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
what operating system do you have on your pc? if linux, i can upload a binary to my dropbox.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
fastboot and adb are generic android tools used for development. they'll work with most any device. i've unbricked my kyros several times now with fastboot (don't ask.. i try to break it almost daily).

bullitt6996

Aug 24, 2010
lol....the instructions arent very helpful....my device doesnt show up where the guide says to look to update drivers

bullitt6996

Aug 24, 2010
The deview program showed it, but did not show it connected while the tablet was sitting in fastboot mode. I tried un rooting and cleanslating it, should I re-enable root?

MichaelC

Feb 23, 2011
I have a disaster now where the tablet is obviously on (Windows 7 sees it) but it will do nothing. NO display on the screen. I’ve installed the windows driver (Android ADB Interface) and SDK as well. ADB devices can see the tablet and returns a number but fastboot devices returns nothing. Have tried Fastboot flash boot /boot.img (boot.img from l_n's update.zip) and it goes to waiting for device but never does anything that I can see. I would be happy to just wipe the thing back to base and start all over again if only I could. Any ideas?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Fastboot mode can be accessed by holding menu while powering the device up. FWDN can be accessed by holding home instead.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MichaelC

Feb 23, 2011
I’m not getting the opportunity to do that. I’m not even seeing the beginning Coby screen. The device seems to not be turning off only rebooting and I can only tell that it is rebooting by the Windows disconnect and reconnect sounds are being made. I hit reset on the back and windows disconnects and reconnects. In adb shell I type reboot and I get the same windows sounds. When I tried adb shell then su then Flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img and Flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img (both are from l_n’s update.zip) things seemed to work then I did reboot recovery and it rebooted but still no display.
I had installed the Watery Kyros v1.0c update last night and had a great ole’ time with it till this morning when it was acting kinda funny… I had installed several apps last night and figured one could be giving it heartburn up so I went to reinstall the Watery ROM again. All was well until it tried to sleep and it’s never recovered. No screen displays at all, there was one point I could at least tell that the screen was on even thought nothing was being displayed. Now I only now it’s rebooting by the windows sounds.
Tech savvy Windows guy here but a newb to the Android world. Totally stumped! LOL

MichaelC

Feb 23, 2011
Ok, suspecting hardware now… I was able to get it into bootloader mode blindly and Fastboot flashed the boot and recovery, still nothing. Anyone had good luck with warranty support? Thanks for your help l_n!