Rooting Drawbacks?

LoneWolfUSMC

Aug 5, 2011
I have searched a bit but couldn't find anything. Are there any drawbacks to rooting my A500?

Its worked well so far, with the exception of no Netflix. Since Netflix was one of the reasons I wanted a tab, its a bit of an issue. I would just like to know if any other functionality will be effected by rooting. I guess I could just wait for an official app, but what fun would that be?

Thanks for dealing with my noobish question. If there are some links that already answered this, then please let me know.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The only issues I've seen are not from rooting by itself, it's what you do afterwards.

If you remove any bloatware the next OTA won't install properly.

LoneWolfUSMC

Aug 5, 2011
Ya, not really trying to remove anything. In fact about the only thing I want to do right now is add the Netflix app. I would definitely not want to lose OTA updates. I would also rather that the apps I currently have installed, remain working. I realize that with some cracked apps there may be some other issues (like Netflix causing the camera to FC).

biogon

Aug 4, 2011
Unfortunately, the Netflix app didn't work for me, even with the Transformer patch installed. =(

HD87

May 14, 2011
I have searched a bit but couldn't find anything. Are there any drawbacks to rooting my A500?

Its worked well so far, with the exception of no Netflix. Since Netflix was one of the reasons I wanted a tab, its a bit of an issue. I would just like to know if any other functionality will be effected by rooting. I guess I could just wait for an official app, but what fun would that be?

Thanks for dealing with my noobish question. If there are some links that already answered this, then please let me know.
Rooting the tablet is pretty simple. What Rooting does is give you "Superuser Permissions", or the ability to edit/delete/replace stock files. The drawback would be bricking your tablet if you edit/remove the wrong files. If your remove a stock application or edit the "lib" file to get netflix to work, your video camera wont work on the tablet & you wont be able to update to 3.2. Unless you put back in the original file ;)

Last edited:

LoneWolfUSMC

Aug 5, 2011
Thanks guys. I rooted, got netflix to work, then un-rooted with Netflix still working. Backed up the original file, so if i have upgrade issues I will just root, replace an unroot again.

For now my tab is working great and filling the role I purchased it for!