Rooting, flashing and bricking

ronjo94

Nov 29, 2011
Hi. As a newcomer to the android language can someone please oblige me with descriptions for Rooting, flashing and bricking. I an sure that there must be others scratching their heads trying to do simple tasks described by others but are beaten by the langauge.

Thanks

Ronjo94

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Rooting = getting full access to your device. Android is a Linux-based OS and without root you actually do not have full access (similar to Admin rights on a PC)
Flashing = erasing your tablet and reinstalling your Operating System. Can either be done to restore to the factory out of the box OS or to a custom ROM
Bricking = caused by doing either of the above items incorrectly resulting in turning your tablet into a "brick" or "paperweight"

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome!

We have a thread that has lots of great info for a newcomer here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...verything-you-want-know-get-started-here.html

Check out the first 2 posts and it should fill you in on your questions.

I would say 90% of users will never feel the need to root. Be sure to do research on your tablet and the risks and benefits of rooting. Understand that it technically voids the warranty of most (if not all) tablets. I have seen a lot of users root their tablets just to say that they rooted. IMO this is not the reason to root.

ronjo94

Nov 29, 2011
Hi. Many thanks for the enlightenment, I'm sure this will also help other members. In my own case, I'm researching for data and method to upgrade my Arnova 10 g2 to full Android market which is my only disappointment with this excellent tablet. The info on this subject mentions rooting and flashing hence my query.

Thanks again

Ronjo94

gators

Dec 31, 2011
Thanks 4 the info, I'm waiting 4 my Arnova 10 G2. My wife is visually impaired and likes 2 read and we were hoping we could use this tablet 4 that and maybe email and face book, and search the web. Do U think it will work with out rooting?
email= [email protected]
Thanks again.

ronjo94

Nov 29, 2011
I use my arnova 10 g2 for reading and all internet usage including e-mails and social sites - it's a mini pc in effect
Enjoy