Rooting ideas

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Thought it be a good idea to put all our attempts in one area. I've tried z4root several times. System acts like it works, even reboots but no root. One Click just gives a perpetual loop chmod -> copy -> run -> chmod -> copy and so on. No root. The author of one click does have a new version coming out and I'll give it a shot. We'll be trying manual root hopefully this weekend if things go well.

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Once I get mine this week I will try to root through adb. I don't know a whole lot about coby products in general, but I have successfully rooted multiple and droid device. Though once if it is rooted and I can get my hands on the gingerbread image from the 7025, I will probably make a rom.

Do you off hand know if the boot loader is locked or encrypted?

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
I rooted a couple tablets about a year back. Those were pretty easy with adb and step by step instructions. As far as the 7024 I would be flying blind. The tablet comes stock with Estrongs file explorer and you can read the files on the root directory. I have seen folders for busybox, adb, and term. I'm primarily interested in getting gmail going.

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
I rooted a couple tablets about a year back. Those were pretty easy with adb and step by step instructions. As far as the 7024 I would be flying blind. The tablet comes stock with Estrongs file explorer and you can read the files on the root directory. I have seen folders for busybox, adb, and term. I'm primarily interested in getting gmail going.

I have rooted a few manually, and made a few custom roms for phones. I got a few tricks up my sleeve to try and root this. I haven't seen a price for the 7025 but shoot no point in spending more money on the same thing if you can flash gingerbread you know, I would put the basics on it, adfree, ti back up, a themed market, rom manager, and su. Along with deodexed, and zipaligned to speed it up a bit. I don't know if coby releases their source, I haven't looked into it much but if they do I'd work on a custom kernel as well, probably overclock to 1.5 if it runs stable.

Granted that's after I gain root access. What I will probably do is push an exploit to the tablet, and try and root it through terminal emulator first.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Coby, from what I have read does not release source. Also they make it clear on the website they have no intentions of updating Android. If it has 2.2 that will be all it has at least from them. I've installed TI, Su, and terminal manually. Of course none can do much without root.

mudknot2005

Apr 7, 2011
Well then if people wanted a custom kernel I would have to do a cm port, which is a project I have yet to take on. As far as update the specs from the 7025 are the exact same as the 7024 so as long as you have the original boot image from the 7025, there wouldn't be a problem flashing gingerbread to the 7024. Which is what I intend to do after I root it.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
Only difference stated 7024 has a 9V Charger and 7.4V 3000mAh Li-Poly, 7025 has 5V Charger and 3.7V 4000mAh Li-Poly.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
psneuter as used in SuperOneClick theoretically should still work under any build of Android 2.2. The issue is getting ADB setup correctly.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
SuperOneClick's psneuter pushes the busybox, chmods busybox than fails on getting mount path.

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
SuperOneClick's psneuter pushes the busybox, chmods busybox than fails on getting mount path.

So do you get a root shell with psneuter?

adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
adb shell
/data/local/tmp/psneuter

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
SuperoneClick pushes psneuter, than chmods than runs. Afterwards it reports the device is rooted both when you run Root and Shell Root. Than it tries busybox and fails. A search with both droid explorer and estrongs does not find psneuter on the tablet. Su and Titanium both complain of not being rooted. I get the same results with rage.

I have not attempted to root in recovery mode yet

Also looking at the root directory there is no /data/local/tmp directory. There is only a /data directory which is empty and a /tmp directory which has a /dropbox directory. Maybe I need to use adb to create the /data/local/tmp directory than push psneuter to it?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Basically, I gave you the commands to execute SuperOneClick manually. You just need to find a folder you can do this from. You would not need to root from recovery. After you get elevated privileges, you can do whatever you want on the device.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
So I need to push psneuter to a read/write folder like the internal SD folder? I'll give it a shot Tuesday. Isn't Droid Explorer root only? If so why would I be able to read files and folders without root?